Car insurance (again) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

3Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 31 Old 14-09-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Car insurance (again)

It seems that there is a plot somewhere to complete pee me off at every opportunity.

This time itís our old favourite, car insurance.

A couple of weeks ago I got my renewal. This price quoted was £490, which includes business use, and this and that, and probably the other too. However, it didnít include the protected no claims I added last year. I whacked my details into confused .com and the cheapest quote was £300 odd from some outfit Iíd never heard of. Rather irritatingly, my own insurance company gave a quote of £390 for better cover than shown on my renewal.

I like the company Iím with, when weíve had claims in the past they have been excellent but I donít want my pants pulled down over the price so I gave them a call. I explained my issue and the chap on the phone tracked down the new quote to compare with the renewal. With the changes Iíd made last year reapplied, my renewal quote went up to £590 (at which point I was about to tell him, politely, where to stick it). The confused.com quote stayed resolutely at £390 for exactly the same cover. I politely explained that I didnít think that shafting loyal customers was really on. He agreed and they matched the confused.com quote, as is their policy (if you ring up and ask). In the end, Iíve got better cover for less money with a company Iím happy to be with but Iím still left feeling a tad disgruntled.

Auto Express - six issues for a quid. Offer must end soon (and then immediately start up again).

Free poor quality torch/T-cut/I luv my VW Polo sew-on badge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Kent
Remember it's a market and to be honest you should look to move every year (even if you don't!)...
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

There is that feeling of 'this is how much your insurance costs ... and this is how much we'll try to charge you if you don't realise that.' isn't there?
AO Platinum Member

County: Hampshire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

That's exactly it, it seems the renewal is how much they think they can get away with charging you without you moving rather than how much it should be
shiny boy likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Suffolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
It seems that there is a plot somewhere to complete pee me off at every opportunity.

This time it’s our old favourite, car insurance.

A couple of weeks ago I got my renewal. This price quoted was £490, which includes business use, and this and that, and probably the other too. However, it didn’t include the protected no claims I added last year. I whacked my details into confused .com and the cheapest quote was £300 odd from some outfit I’d never heard of. Rather irritatingly, my own insurance company gave a quote of £390 for better cover than shown on my renewal.

I like the company I’m with, when we’ve had claims in the past they have been excellent but I don’t want my pants pulled down over the price so I gave them a call. I explained my issue and the chap on the phone tracked down the new quote to compare with the renewal. With the changes I’d made last year reapplied, my renewal quote went up to £590 (at which point I was about to tell him, politely, where to stick it). The confused.com quote stayed resolutely at £390 for exactly the same cover. I politely explained that I didn’t think that shafting loyal customers was really on. He agreed and they matched the confused.com quote, as is their policy (if you ring up and ask). In the end, I’ve got better cover for less money with a company I’m happy to be with but I’m still left feeling a tad disgruntled.
What make/model car are you insuring. That quote would make my hair stand on end if for 1 car only. I pay slightly £20 over that for both the spider & the V6 combined (AA ins). What is it that is racking the premium up? Is it the business use bit?
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Think we paid £500 for the GTA and the Spider, I assume KB's quote is for the SAAB, the DVT and the ovloV which he has forgotten to take off.

On a related note my Mum's house insurance, via fogey-friendly fiddlers SAGA was £226. Better cover via Meercat-mongers was had for £103 less.

Crooks!
(Post Link) post #7 of 31 Old 14-09-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Oldish car, high insurance group, Manchester postcode, not garaged, business use, protected no claims. I can get it cheaper still but I'm happy to pay a wee bit more to be with a company that I know is excellent when you need them to be. What I'm not happy to do is pay £200 more than a new customer.
AO Silver Member

I'm really looking forward to my GTA insurance coming after bundling a £65,000 claim into my insurers this year...
AO Platinum Member

£65K! Tell us more!
AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
I have just had my renewal quote through from Admiral, what a bunch of crooks! It's just over double last years and no changes in my circumstances.
(Post Link) post #11 of 31 Old 15-09-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by EauRouge View Post
I have just had my renewal quote through from Admiral, what a bunch of crooks! It's just over double last years and no changes in my circumstances.
They all do it. They shaft existing customers to give cheap deals to attract new ones. When you pull them up on it, they match their new customer price to keep you sweet. ISPs do the same tricks.
AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
After an hour on Compare and MoneySuper i was getting quoted double what i paid last year, so thought i would try one or two that have been advertising lately and Aviva have come up Trumps with a £5 saving on last years quote, a £186.40 saving on the online compare websites.

My advice is to avoid the online compare sites at the moment as they appear to be ripping everyone off and do abit of independent searching. Keithyboy i tried the bull-**** quote approach and they called my bluff, told them AA was quoting me last years price and they said "Sorry! we can't match that."? I will try them again in a week or two time as this is the first day of my 30 search.
AO Silver Member

Ferrari 355, patch of diesel, bit of an off... Now having a concours rebuild.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurdy1 View Post
Ferrari 355, patch of diesel, bit of an off... Now having a concours rebuild.
Ouch
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
I tart every year without fail. In the last couple of years the best deal has been via phone haggling with my current lot.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
Ouch
An understatement both physically and financially...

Fortunately only superficial damage but the parts prices from Ferrari are eye watering...
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
An understatement both physically and financially...

Fortunately only superficial damage but the parts prices from Ferrari are eye watering...
Ferrari tax I know . I've had a (not as) bad (as yours it seems) year with mine. Not had it since early May until a few weeks back with a mechanical failure and a real nasty with emissions MOT failure. Hours spent diagnosing and replacing electrical parts.
Anyway I think I might be downgrading this year or early next. Need to sort a few minor issues on the car and a belt service but then I think (I keep saying it ) it's going (until I next go out in it ).
AO Platinum Member

By the pricking of my thumbs
Something "What car shall I get?" this way comes..
AO Silver Member

I only have two on my lust list, the McLaren MP12c and/or an 8c Coupe.

These are the only two cars that could tempt me away from my 355. That's how much I think of it.
AO Silver Member

And I don't know whether Admiral or anyone else would quote me happy on either..
AO Platinum Member

Renewal on the vRS is coming up soon Last year I paid a little over £200 for fully comp, protected NCB with legal cover. I'm with some online only insurance company that I can't remember the name of unless I go dig out the paperwork. The good thing about the insurance from these johnnies is they included 90 days fully comp insurance on the continent as part of the price and the RAC cover I got with the policy was a bargain !

I helped my mum do her renewal last month and prices seem to have gone up a bit since last year. Hers increased by about 10% despite my attempts at mingebaggery.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaDrivingFan View Post
Renewal on the vRS is coming up soon Last year I paid a little over £200 for fully comp, protected NCB with legal cover.
Wow, so SAGA do actually do some good deals.
steveisfrowning likes this.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
I only have two on my lust list, the McLaren MP12c and/or an 8c Coupe.

These are the only two cars that could tempt me away from my 355. That's how much I think of it.
That was my belief too. I would have a Gallardo but my missus is not so keen and I also think maintenance on that would make my F355 look cheap.
I'm currently chatting to some chap locally about swapping mine for his 360. Not 100% certain I want to, the F355 is definitely the better car but the 360 is tempting me.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by EauRouge View Post
Exactly the same has just happened with my wife's insurance renewal - if anything it should be cheaper as a non-fault accident she had is now over 6 years ago.

i couldnt even be arsed ringing them to say i'd found a much, much cheaper quote with more benefits, it was a case of ringing them up and telling them to cancel the renewal.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
That was my belief too. I would have a Gallardo but my missus is not so keen and I also think maintenance on that would make my F355 look cheap.
I'm currently chatting to some chap locally about swapping mine for his 360. Not 100% certain I want to, the F355 is definitely the better car but the 360 is tempting me.
No! Don't do it!!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page