Glandular f**cking fever - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 22-09-07 Thread Starter

Glandular f**cking fever

Is there any illness more annoying? It saps your strength, leaves you unable to leave your own home for fear of infecting more unfortunates and means you must have total rest for at least two weeks!!!!

Two weeks of total rest? How boring is that going to be!?

And to top it all off, I'm allergic to the penecillin variant the doctors gave me when I first developed symptoms!!!!! I've got a rash all over that feels like the mother of all sunburn!!

God damn it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: herts
Re: Glandular f**cking fever

Horrible!: hope you get shot of it quickly. Time to spend on AO?:

Oh no hope you get better soon
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Its a hell of an illness - had it together with ulcerated laryngitis when I was in my last year at college doing my exams, caused me all kinds of problems and took me about a year to fully recover.

Keep yourself as healthy as you can and hope you get well soon.
AO Member

Member car:

alfa75V6 200hp

My 11mth old has chickenpox hope i dont come down with shingles again,sorry to here your bits are swollen

My eldest had chicken pox when she was tiny too....terrible thing....then 6/7 years later we were on holiday and I had to take her to the docs and it turned out that she had shingles....She was quite ill with it too....Thankfully she has not had it since
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 1.8 T-Spark

Sorry to hear you're not well, Glandular Fever sounds like a horrible illness

Hope you make a speedy recovery
Nev

Don't you get that from too
much snogging?

(Get well soon)

AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

colin..take my advice, don't rush back to work when you start to feel better..I did and had post viral fatigue syndrome for over a year.

Get well soon matey.
Doc told me to have loads of asprin AND ibuprofen, together.
(Post Link) post #10 of 16 Old 22-09-07 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert View Post
colin..take my advice, don't rush back to work when you start to feel better..I did and had post viral fatigue syndrome for over a year.
Wonderful.

I work as a Sales rep, my job is something I adore. I get to travel miles and miles in my Juliette and reap in good money with it. The prospect of 'total rest' is like chopping off my leg.

That and I can't do my football coaching, my u14's team is playing tomorrow and it'll be the first time i've missed one of their games for 3 years.

How was the post viral fatigue syndrome, could it be 'lived with?'
AO Member

Member car:

155 2.0TS 16V

I had Glandular fever many years ago, lasted about 6 months, off work for a good 3 to 4 months.
I was fine to do a mornings works, afternoons I just wanted to sleep.
lee16v

I had it too about ten years ago with a good dose of tonsilitis to boot!
Felt like [email protected] and couldn't eat a thing. Lost about a stone in weight in 2 weeks.

Hope you feel alot better soon mate.

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Hope you feel better soon. Perfect opportunity to up the post count tho!

Always look on the bright side and all that
AlfaLincs

Well with GF you can be lucky or unlucky. My sister had the severest case of GF our doc had ever seen, she was really really ill, and my dad was on the point of cancelling her 1st year at Uni but it seems the severity of it was her saving as it was over in about three weeks..but it can drag on as a 'low level' infection and you just feel crap for months.

I've not had GF, but about two weeks after Charles and Diana got wed in 1981 I went down with a virus..which morphed into ME (except that nobody had even invented the term ME then..post viral fatigue was just a vague name they gave it)..and even then I was quite lucky (though I thought I was dying and nobody would tell me) and it lasted from Aug 81..to about March 82 (all the GF tests were neg, and nobody believed there was anything wrong with you in those days...terrific!!)

The good news is that once its over you are unlikely to get a recurrence. i've never had ME again or GF at all ,thank bl**dy goodness. Keep active, but only do what you feel you are up to, and try to eat and sleep properly. No Booze.

Hope it clears up soon

AlfaLincs

P.S. be wary of Docs...one tried to treat me for depression and inferred that was all it was..I had just failed some mega important exams and the girl of my dreams had walked off as well..so he thought he was ont to a winner...however ME does make you feel depressed....BUT you are not suffering from clinical depression IMHO..there is a BIG difference. I know people who suffer depression and I'm not one of them.

Last edited by AlfaLincs; 23-09-07 at 08:41.

(Post Link) post #15 of 16 Old 27-09-07 Thread Starter

Well. Update time

My second round of blood test results are back.... and its not Glandular Fever. Why did they tell me it is when it isn't? Well....

They gave me Amoxicillin when symptoms first broke out. They did this because it reacts with the glandular fever virus and CAUSES a rash! (not that they took the courtesy to warn me) So by happy coincidence, I developed a Rash anyway.... Seemed i'ld jumped through the hoops and met that grade.

This rash however, is far, FAR more severe then would be expected by that reaction. Its a viral rather then reactionary rash, therefore, and I quote from the Doc:

'A similar virus that has caused your rash. Could be one of hundreds really. Especially with the other symptoms.'

So I don't need to be stuck at home for ages, but I am still stuck with an awfully minging rash which still itches like crazy. (But is starting to pass)

Freakin' Docs, honestly.
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire

Try some Red Kooga Korean Ginseng tabs combined with Selenium and varous multi vits and minerals and SUPERCHARGE your immune system...most colds Rinovirus wont get past first base and even if you catch a real Influenza Virus variant, its gone faster and the symptoms are much much less severe.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page