Sabra and Shatila massacre - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 26 Old 16-09-07 Thread Starter
Jed
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Rosso GT

Sabra and Shatila massacre

There is virtually zero coverage of this dreadful event perpurtrated 25 years ago today!

The west should hang their heads in shame in it's "sweeping under the carpet" of such a merciless act.

I only found out about this today and it brought me to tears.
How cheap is Palestian blood? I think the complete omission of coverage in any of the US and British press speaks volumes

If you're unaware of this event, as I was, please read and contemplate what exactly the west's war on terror is really about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabra_and_Shatila_massacre

A very sad & annoyed Mr Jed......

The meek shall inherit the earth
but not the mineral rights
J. Paul Getty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Re: Sabra and Shatila massacre

So much for our free media Mr Jed! Doesn't surprise me at all, that something like this would receive no media attention.
(Post Link) post #3 of 26 Old 16-09-07 Thread Starter
Jed
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Rosso GT

In excess of 3000 innocent people were slaughtered over a 48 hour period for goodness sake!!

I've been reading up on the reports/accounts etc and they are truly sickening. It sounded like something from medeval times - absolutely shocking.

The very obvious lack of coverage is obsene.

Heard about it while listening to George Galloway on Talksport on the way home. (Not sure while I was listening, but hey)

The lack of reporting on this is shocking.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

A big black car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed View Post

I only found out about this today and it brought me to tears.
Come on, you are not exactly a teenager. Weren't you paying attention at the time? It was quite a big news item.

Did you know that Elvis was dead?
(Post Link) post #6 of 26 Old 16-09-07 Thread Starter
Jed
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Rosso GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredshaza View Post
Come on, you are not exactly a teenager. Weren't you paying attention at the time? It was quite a big news item.

Did you know that Elvis was dead?
I'm younger than I look
I blame the absinthe and peroxide!

Elvis is dead??? Are you sure?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

A big black car.

Quote:
I'm younger than I look
I blame the absinthe and peroxide!

Elvis is dead??? Are you sure?
AO Platinum Member

I must confess, I'd never heard off it. One other thing I learnt today was that in July 1950 my great Uncle was attacked above Beirut by an Israeli fighter whilst flying a DC3, 8 passengers were wounded and 2 died, including the radio-navigator.

Sorry, slightly off topic there
AO Silver Member

Member car:

A big black car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slegg View Post
I must confess, I'd never heard off it. One other thing I learnt today was that in July 1950 my great Uncle was attacked above Beirut by an Israeli fighter whilst flying a DC3, 8 passengers were wounded and 2 died, including the radio-navigator.

Sorry, slightly off topic there
Glenn Miller wasn't on that one was he?
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Glenn Miller wasn't on that one was he?
No, he disappeared over France in 1944
AlfaLincs

I suppose one of the many problems is that we (the Brits) promised the Jews a homeland in Palestine in the Balfour Declaration in 1917, provided the interests of the non Jewish communities in Palestine were maintained.

We abandoned this in 1939 in the face of Arab aspirations, and then came A. Hitler and the Nazis. After WW2 the collective guilt about the appalling treatment of the Jews in Germany meant there was no heart for any opposition to the creation of Israel...We (the Brits) were out of our depth in Palestine, and there was considerable financial/military support from US zionists..as there is to this very day.

The poor Palestinian people just got pushed aside in an act of political expediency, and it is a slur on all of us in the west that the camps still exist over 5O years later,and that the aspirations of ordinary Palestinian people have been trampled so disgracefully.

Don't get me wrong..I think the Jews did and do deserve a state. You can hardly blame them, but I am deeply unhappy with what they have been allowed to get away with. My support does not include the gettoisation and suppression of displaced peoples and the routine shooting of children. I don't support suicide bombers either going the other way...just in case anybody wants to get on my case.

On the other hand the Palestinian Leadership has been weak, often misguided, divided and sometimes corrupt, and played into Israels hands by resorting to violence. So they have not been their own best friends..but once again..its the poor ordinary Palestinian family who suffers. They are the ones I feel truly sorry for.

What to do? I wish I wish I knew

AlfaLincs

Glenn Miller is alive and well, check my name!
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire

If you think that's bad what do you think of this?

"Papua has had a history of violent oppression by the Indonesian military (TNI), with demographic dilution through a government programme of massive transmigration of Javanese Muslims. Papuans are politically marginalised, racial tension and religious intolerance have flourished, and Islamic Indonesian culture dominates. Of utmost concern is systematic 'ethnic cleansing' by military operations, and the (possibly deliberate) introduction of AIDS and infected pigs. (Melanesian Papuans eat pigs but Indonesian Muslims do not.) Officially, some 100,000 Papuans have been killed directly due to Indonesian occupation, but the unofficial figure is 800,000."

From http://across.co.nz/PapuaGenocide05.html quick search found the page on a Christian website, a deeply religious friend told me about it a couple of years ago and apparently it still continues but NEVER has any media coverage.

And then there is the American Genocide of Native American Indians

"Thus, according to Ward Churchill, a professor of ethnic studies at the University of Colorado, the reduction of the North American Indian population from an estimated 12 million in 1500 to barely 237,000 in 1900 represents a "vast genocide . . . , the most sustained on record."

From http://hnn.us/articles/7302.html

It's amazing what gets forgotten so easily and how Media and Hollywood portray things, again it's true to say the Victor writes the history books

Girlf says recently in Japan history books were given to schoolchildren in Japan that have no mention of Japan's actions in the second world war.

Nero Fuoco 147 Lusso - Bianco Nuvola 147 GTA - Carbonio Brera SV - Azzurro Le Mans GT 1600 Junior
AlfaLincs

I had listened to a radio programme on R4 about the radicalisation of Islam in Indonesia and its repressive effect on other religions in the region, but I was not aware of its genocidal aspects in Papua New Guinea.

Mind you western culture and alcohol was already pretty corrosive to the native populations in New Guinea..so we are not that shiny ourselves.

AlfaLincs

AO Silver Member

Member car:

A big black car.

I think that most of the killing of Palestinians was carried out by Lebanese Christians.
(Post Link) post #16 of 26 Old 17-09-07 Thread Starter
Jed
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Rosso GT

Quote:
I think that most of the killing of Palestinians was carried out by Lebanese Christians.

Mr BRG - indeed, the guilty were undoubtedly christian militiamen, but the Israelis were undeniably guilty. If they hadn't taken part in the actual killings, they had certainly sent the militia into the camps. They'd trained them, given them uniforms, handed them US army rations and Israeli medical equipment.

What if the Syrians had crossed into Israel and allowed their Palestinian allies to murder the jewish inhabitants of a Kibbutz? I'm fairly sure no western press would be arguing about whether or not it was a massacre or not.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Unfortunately massacres have happened throughout history and will continue to do so I reckon. Its a shame, but what can you do? This sort of thing happens in Africa every day, maybe not on quite a scale, but we never hear of that either.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

A big black car.

Quote:

What if the Syrians had crossed into Israel and allowed their Palestinian allies to murder the jewish inhabitants of a Kibbutz? I'm fairly sure no western press would be arguing about whether or not it was a massacre or not.
Jed, I doubt if either of us know enough about this. The Israeli reason (excuse, depending on viewpoint) for their invasion of southern Lebanon was pretty close to what you outline above. Syrian backed Palestinians were attacking Jewish settlements in northern Israel.

The Israeli invasion got a fairly eash ride from the press as it was seen as justified. As happens on these occasions, the horror stories were hardly believed at the time although they were fairly well reported.
AO Silver Member

Nice thread folks.

This sort of thing is worth ranting about. Rather than the normal "some chav did something they shouldn't've"....
Nev

Quote:
What if the Syrians had crossed into Israel and allowed their Palestinian allies to murder the jewish inhabitants of a Kibbutz?
They were probably too busy massacring their own:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hama_Massacre

AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaredthegreat View Post
Nice thread folks.

This sort of thing is worth ranting about. Rather than the normal "some chav did something they shouldn't've"....
Wow, I finally posted something people are remotely interested in

Ta

This was huge news at the time. It got blanket coverage on all the news channels.

And George Galloway...I wouldn't waste a second of my time listening to that corrupt, oedius, disgusting, miserable, slimeball piece of ****e if my life depended on it.
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietlife View Post
And George Galloway...I wouldn't waste a second of my time listening to that corrupt, oedius, disgusting, miserable, slimeball piece of ****e if my life depended on it.
Really? Seems to be the only one who talks
sense on a lot of Mid East subjects sometimes.

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietlife View Post
This was huge news at the time. It got blanket coverage on all the news channels.

Care to back that up with a citation? BOTH points.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

I'm not a big fan of Galloway either, only thing he's good at is dodging eggs.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page