Nhs - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

3Likes
  • 1 Post By rxe
  • 2 Post By ronan

Spacecadet

Nhs

My father has been in hospital since Monday for a hip replacement, an operation he has had to wait 8 months for.

He was told yesterday he would be released today. He had his 'exit satisfaction questionnaire' to fill in at 9.00am and was told to 'wait a minute' for his paperwork. I have been waiting with him. Now we are into hour 6 of waiting to receive his discharge letter.

So, we are sitting in a room with a bed that can't be used for another patient, waiting unnecessarily with no end in sight. How inefficient can the NHS be!!!??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo
Sorry to hear that mate. Hope the surgery went well
Spacecadet

The old man seems fine. He's 79, now has two bionic knees and now a bionic hip.

Dad says the physio seems as if she did the 'Hitler training course'.

Not sure if that's a good thing!!

AO Member

Sorry to here about you and your Dads wait. Hope the new hip does its job well.

Sadly my NHS track record for surgery means my notes come their own trolley these days, Lol.
When told in the morning I can go home today, this I have learnt means "By the time your discharge letter completed by the ward secretary", with information by all concerned making the Discharge Letter, i.e. Consultants comments, Physiotherapists, Occupational Therapists and one weeks worth of prescription meds sorted, I can then leave. Normally by teatime when this has been completed. My surgery has mainly been for Orthopaedics reasons too.
Still believe this should be explained better to us patients and not left to personnel experiences, or OpEx.

My last surgery was last year and sadly no change with the few different hospitals or hospital departments, but they are getting better explaining why's and were for's of surgery these days, especially in Orthopaedics for my health area.

CannonBall UK
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
I don't understand. They spent 4 BILLION POUNDS on a patient records system.....

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
When my daughter was in hospital a couple of years back the staff and care was excellent, however when they went to discharge her and sort out her medicines the Medicines took 3 hours to arrive from the hospital drug department.
Spacecadet

Nhs

Finally got the letter at 4.10.

Here's how the time was wasted.

9.00am Dad told he could go. Given 'happiness and satisfaction' survey to fill in.

9.15am All additional medications delivered.

I arrive to collect him. Find the one available wheelchair available to move him. Take this to the ward.

9.30am Dad is fully packed up and ready to leave. Not long now.

9.45am Nurse reminds him he needs to wait until the discharge paperwork is signed and handed over before he can leave.

10.00am waiting begins in earnest.

12.00pm Lunch arrives. I go and get a sandwich.

2pm New nurse arrives. Reminds us not to leave until the discharge paperwork is delivered. We ask when that might be. She shrugs, says she will find out. Never returns.

3pm A new nurse pops in and reminds us we can't go until discharge paperwork is signed and delivered. We ask again when that will be. Stress that that sheet of A4 is all that is needed to free up the bed. She goes away to chase it up. Never returns.

4pm Losing the will to live properly. I pop out to the nurses station. Ask the nurse I talked to at 2pm when we would be getting the appropriate sheet of paper. She ignored me, clicked on her computer. A piece of paper came out of the printer which she signed and gave to me. That was it! Could have been done 2 or more hours earlier. Absolutely staggering.

4.15pm in the car park and away after paying for 6 hours parking!

I'm absolutely fuming.

rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Quote:
9.45am Nurse reminds him he needs to wait until the discharge paperwork is signed and handed over before he can leave.
Correct answer: "fine, we're off, send it to my GP". When they object: "talk to the hand".

NHS discharge is staggeringly inefficient. When you look at the wiring behind it, you understand why.
Verbout likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Christ, the vets around here seem to have a better system. WTF?
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

What does a discharge letter contain that requires you to wait for it?

If its information regarding your recuperation or possible after effects shouldn't they have templates ready to print off?

If its information for you to pass on to your doctors surely it will be better sent by post/internal mail?

I had a similar experience with my dad in one of the Leeds hospitals, very annoying after a phone call from the staff to pick him up, take time off work, travel 15 miles, pay car park charges for a hour, that you'll think you will be, and then to be held up for the pharmacy to reopen for his meds.

Garry

DISCLAIMER
Apologies for spelling mistakes, bad grammar and misplaced, or even lack of apostrophes.

TSR 2 Test Flight
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
I don't think I'd have lasted much past the end of the sandwich. I used to get the same shocking stories from my wife when she worked for the NHS (Occupational Therapist, mostly dealing with stroke rehab). The mind boggles just how much money must be wasted. There doesn't seem to be a "lets get stuff done" culture like you find in business, and yet I think privatising it would be the wrong way to go as well, but something needs to change.
Spacecadet

It just has the details of his op and that he has been released into the care of the community nurse.

If he ever goes in again, we've decided we leave when the drugs are done. To be fair, what's the worst that could happen?

AO Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

seat leon 1.8 fr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
Finally got the letter at 4.10.

Here's how the time was wasted.

9.00am Dad told he could go. Given 'happiness and satisfaction' survey to fill in.

9.15am All additional medications delivered.

I arrive to collect him. Find the one available wheelchair available to move him. Take this to the ward.

9.30am Dad is fully packed up and ready to leave. Not long now.

10.00am waiting begins in earnest.

12.00pm Lunch arrives. I go and get a sandwich.

2pm New nurse arrives. Reminds us not to leave until the discharge paperwork is delivered. We ask when that might be. She shrugs, says she will find out. Never returns.

3pm A new nurse pops in and reminds us we can't go until discharge paperwork is signed and delivered. We ask again when that will be. Stress that that sheet of A4 is all that is needed to free up the bed. She goes away to chase it up. Never returns.

4pm Losing the will to live properly. I pop out to the nurses station. Ask the nurse I talked to at 2pm when we would be getting the appropriate sheet of paper. She ignored me, clicked on her computer. A piece of paper came out of the printer which she signed and gave to me. That was it! Could have been done 2 or more hours earlier. Absolutely staggering.

4.15pm in the car park and away after paying for 6 hours parking!

I'm absolutely fuming.

I sympathise to a certain extent. To wait for something as ordinary as a piece of paperwork for that long seems daft. There is always waste in any large[or any size] organisation. And always room for improvement.
However, hopefully your dad received overall good care and had a successful outcome with his op. For free. And the NHS deals with one million people every 36 hours.

Lets hope he doesn't have too long to wait for physio etc.
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Quote:
There is always waste in any large[or any size] organisation.
Problem with the NHS is they are constantly claiming that they are short of beds, yet in the above example they blocked a bed for 10 hours due to their own incompetence. That bed could have been used to clear a day case or get someone out of A&E. They do it to every one, and if you assume that the average hospital say is say 4 days, then ~ 20% of their capacity is blocked at any given moment due to an inability to discharge people. I've seen a team putting a real focus on discharge, and it is like opening an additional ward. Most of the time people don't seem to care about it, and people end up in corridors because of the want of some paper work (which should be an email in the first place, not a letter).
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Usually when the NHS is criticised, everyone cries "Cut the managers and employ more health professionals!" Yet generally (it seems to me) the care is pretty good but the administration is shambolic. Successive governments keep making organisational changes, and organisational changes need organisers (i.e. managers) to organise them. Does the NHS just need more / better management?
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxe View Post
Correct answer: "fine, we're off, send it to my GP". When they object: "talk to the hand".

NHS discharge is staggeringly inefficient. When you look at the wiring behind it, you understand why.

Yep..wouldn't have waited more than one hour tops...these discharge letters can be posted to GP.....though i have 100000000% admiration for the NHS.

Saved my life.
VO2Max and zulu ferret like this.
VO2Max

A seven hour wait Spacecadet?

That's crazy.

I've had about 8 loads of day surgery at Moorfields over the last 2 years. Whether you're in for the morning or the afternoon session, you're out of there about 2hrs after you come off the operating table.

Day surgery obviously 'concentrates the minds' of the ward staff because they need to clear the beds by the end of the day. I can see that other types of wards with unelective/unplanned admissions have more complications, but there really can't be an excuse to have to wait that long, once the decision has been made to release the patient. The hospital needs to sort out its systems because we all know the NHS is under the financial cosh and short of beds, but that just makes things a whole lot worse.

Pretty well exactly the same thing has happened to my mum on three separate occasions, when she's had her 2 knees and one hip done.

AO Gold Member

County: Merseyside
I get brilliant and fast and efficient hospital treatment, I am sure it is in no way shape or form anything to do with Jules being a hospital inspector
Spacecadet

Nhs

Follow up:

So, the old boy got home and began the recovery process. All was going well. Then his lower leg in the op side started to swell. The visiting nurse monitored it over the week of daily dressing changes at his house and said "it's totally normal, these things happen." Whenever he asked about it and commented it was getting worse not better. After the first 6 days he stopped getting visits and his leg grew and grew in girth.

He called the 111 advice line very early in the morning of Friday 4th Sept when his op side leg was now bright red and hot to the touch who said he should call an ambulance as he could be suffering a deep vein thrombosis. He called, an ambulance arrived and off he went to hospital.

The doctor took lots of measurements and asked lots of questions and took lots of blood and said he needed a scan to be sure but he didn't think it was a clot. He sent him home to await a call back with a time.

He got a call later in the day with an appointment on Monday. So three days later. His other leg is now growing and the skin on his op side foot is splitting open as it increases in size. It is now weeping yellow fluid.

The appointment comes and they scan him finding no clot.

He is told to go home and asked to call his GP and referred to a dermatologist.

His legs are still getting bigger and now splitting open leaving weeping splits.

He finally gets through to the GP surgery after 2 days of trying on the phone when my mum went in to the surgery and waited in a queue for an hour to book an appointment for him.

The GP got a nurse in to apply compression bandages.

There are no dermatology appointments available for over a month.

GP has offered no treatment for the cause or any treatment for the symptom.

No referral to anyone else as the scan showed no circulatory abnormality.

That is the NHS for you - "yeah, you are expanding and leaking fluid. Hey ho have some tight leggings."

Round of fecking applause.

AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

GPs are totally snowed under..............I would have him straight to A & E !!!

Hope you can get him sorted.
Spacecadet

And the dermatology consultant appointment arrived today - 27th October. Yes, that's right 6 weeks wait! Wonder if by then he'll be fixable.

He went to the GP surgery for his wound check up last Friday. The nurse practitioner increased his drug dose he takes of drug that increases fluid removal from bodily tissue via kidneys as urine. Fluid build up is a side effect of another drug he takes for elevated blood pressure. Good idea he thought.

He went to the GP surgery today for another check up of his wound. A different nurse checked his records and went to fetch a doctor. The doctor reversed the drug dose change and gave him a thorough going over because the dose he's been prescribed by the nurse the previous week was way too high and would have very soon lead to total kidney failure and death.

FFS

I'm not a fan of these blood thirst solicitors who screw the NHS for malpractice, but I reckon dad would be a good bit richer if he chose to pursue a claim after this **** poor treatment.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page