Buyer BEWARE - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

6Likes

Lucy_Bergs

Buyer BEWARE

You know when you buy a "new" car and you think your safe because you have a warranty and surely that protects you from anything that's not wear and tear?

well think again.

My husband bought a car at the end of June this year. It cost us the best part of nearly 10k but we were happy to invest that much as we needed a family car for the eventual kids that will come along.

So we drove off happy as larry in the new car.

Until.... just under 2 weeks later the car had a hissy fit and went into limp mode. Got it to a main dealer garage who've diagnosed a few issues including the electronic control for the gear box needs replacing. (Expensive, as you can imagine)

We called the dealer we bought it off who said "go through the warranty" so we did!

Warranty: "we don't cover faults within the first 30 days"
Us: "ok, we'll contact the dealer"

So we go back to the dealer, who has point blank refused to repair or refund us. We even offered to go halves on the work.

We're now having to go down the route of mediation and possible court action against him. Citizens advice have said we're within our rights to do this as its SOGA and he's in breach of it.

I'm honestly fed up, we've got a car that has been SORN since it had its hissy fit and no one wants to repair it!!!

Honestly, buyer beware when you buy a car. Don't assume that your covered on your warranty and don't be under the assumption that the dealer will help you out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo
Very sorry to hear about your problems and how the dealer has been stonewalling you guys. Hope it gets sorted out positively for you soon!
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 650
County: Leicestershire
It's not the Mito then?
Lucy_Bergs

Thanks, I hope it works out ok too but I'm not sure.

I've had the Mito just over a week and touch wood it's doing ok so far. Because of all this rubbish I went to a large dealership and paid a bit more than I would have going somewhere independent.

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 650
County: Leicestershire
Glad to hear it's not the Alfa

as BF said hope it gets resolved soon
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

159 & 156 S/W

Shocking.
Hope you not only get your money back but can sue also.
Good luck (and keep us posted - you might help somebody in the future).
AO Member

County: Suffolk
Did you buy it on finance? If you did then I would recommend that you let them know and go through the Financial Ombudsman if they don't do anything. Good luck.
Lucy_Bergs

Thanks all!

We didn't use finance or CC so we aren't even covered that way.

It's a little like spending a lot of money on a useless garden ornament at the moment. Which is all its good for.

I should add though, just in case anyone has problems like this in future, the part that needs replacing will still work, the car can still be driven but it will do it again and will eventually stop altogether.

We were advised to take it off the road to prove A. that the amount of miles put on the car since buying it to the problem occurring was minimal and B. that if we continue use it then we are basically accepting it.

Last edited by Lucy_Bergs; 13-08-15 at 15:20.

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
I think if there is a major fault the dealer has to cover it for a period of around 6 months as the fault was assumed to have been there when they sold it to you.

The car also has to be fit for purpose and give reasonable service according to the amount you paid.

As you spent that sort of money you should expect it to be pretty good.

Trading standards are the way to go, but I think you have to write a formal letter first then if they do nothing you can take matters further.

You might end up getting an independent inspection from someone like the AA or RAC to prove there are faults and they have been there for a while.
VO2Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_Bergs View Post
You know when you buy a "new" car and you think your safe because you have a warranty and surely that protects you from anything that's not wear and tear?

well think again.

My husband bought a car at the end of June this year. It cost us the best part of nearly 10k but we were happy to invest that much as we needed a family car for the eventual kids that will come along.

So we drove off happy as larry in the new car.

Until.... just under 2 weeks later the car had a hissy fit and went into limp mode. Got it to a main dealer garage who've diagnosed a few issues including the electronic control for the gear box needs replacing. (Expensive, as you can imagine)

We called the dealer we bought it off who said "go through the warranty" so we did!

Warranty: "we don't cover faults within the first 30 days"
Us: "ok, we'll contact the dealer"

So we go back to the dealer, who has point blank refused to repair or refund us. We even offered to go halves on the work.

We're now having to go down the route of mediation and possible court action against him. Citizens advice have said we're within our rights to do this as its SOGA and he's in breach of it.

I'm honestly fed up, we've got a car that has been SORN since it had its hissy fit and no one wants to repair it!!!

Honestly, buyer beware when you buy a car. Don't assume that your covered on your warranty and don't be under the assumption that the dealer will help you out.

I'm pretty sure that legally, the dealer hasn't a leg to stand on. You should win, but you can do without the hassle of course.

In any event, I'd name and shame him. I assume it's not an Alfa dealer?

VO2Max

Ah, I've just read the whole thread, the MiTo's a replacement for the duff car .

Good luck getting your money back with the other one.

Out of interest, what is it Lucy?

Lucy_Bergs

We've already sent off the formal letters stating we want out money back and that we'll be taking it further. We had a inspection carried out by VW who do a comprehensive check and they even send you a video showing you the problems, which is pretty cool.

It's a golf GTI.

I can't really name and shame them because I don't want to jeopardise any court proceedings in any way. (once that's out the way I've mega plans to name and shame them, believe me.)

AO Silver Member

County: Devon

Member car:

Laguna, Elgrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_Bergs View Post
We've already sent off the formal letters stating we want out money back and that we'll be taking it further.

It's a golf GTI.

I can't really name and shame them because I don't want to jeopardise the court proceeding in any way. (once that's out the way I've mega plans to name and shame them, believe me.)
That needed an evil mwah ha ha ha after it

Good luck. Can't see a problem with you getting your money back Tbh.
VO2Max

Anyway Lucy, it gives the folks of AO great pleasure to know that you're now driving a MiTo because a VW Golf GTI let you down so badly! (Fingers crossed for the MiTo).

Lucy_Bergs

AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Excellent, re not naming names, just go through the proper channels, it's infuriating but the moral high ground has a fabulous view. Good luck.
Lucy_Bergs

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max View Post
Anyway Lucy, it gives the folks of AO great pleasure to know that you're now driving a MiTo because a VW Golf GTI let you down so badly! (Fingers crossed for the MiTo).
It'll give you even more pleasure then knowing that once (hopefully) the golf goes the husband has decided he wants a......... Giulietta!
symon, VO2Max and Greener123 like this.

AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

I can't see how the dealer can possibly wriggle his way out of that one. He probably knows that and is stalling in the hope that you give up on it. Even if you don't, he gets to hang on to your money for a bit.

Fingers crossed for a speedy resolution.
Lucy_Bergs likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
is the Golf an auto with the DSG box?

my dad has a MK6 Golf diesel with the DSG bought from an inde. When the 'box went (or the electric gubbins that control it went), VW paid 90% of the parts and labour bill (it needed a new gearbox). The car is four years old and has a full VW SH. Therefore, it maybe worth speaking to a VW dealer. My understanding is that VW quietly knows this 'box is a problem and may well help owners out. Hope you get it sorted, Lucy.
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
Like others above I cannot see the dealer has any case to argue and is probably just trying to fob you off. If it gets as far as initiating proceedings they will probably refund you as a "goodwill gesture" ....grrrr.

I hope you get it sorted soon.
Lucy_Bergs

It is an auto Scudetto but the garage we took it to was a VW garage and they weren't able to help in getting it repaired by them. They were, however, extremely helpful and took charge of putting in the claim against the warranty company plus giving us some advice.

Clock's ticking for the guy that sold it us, he has until Wednesday this week to reply. I don't think the courts will take a great view of him ignoring our efforts to get this sorted.

I think he thought we'd give up if he got angry and tried to tell us we had "no right to return it". I think you'll find we do.

AO Gold Member

County: Surrey
Sorry to hear this.

How large is the dealer concerned? My only worry would be that if it's a "1 man with a lock up" job then he may not even have your money still to refund (which of course won't worry any legal process but will make it a lot harder to get your money back in reality).

Hopefully you got it from a dealer with at least some liquid assets (although clearly no moral ones)
Lucy_Bergs

Since I last posted we've had 2 lots of things happen...

1. We had a call yesterday from a bloke who received one of our letters (we sent out 1 to their address that we went to when we bought the car and 1 to an address we were led to believe was their registered address) it turns out the 2nd address relates to another company with a very similar name. He said that if it was him he'd be taking the car back as its clear cut that the dealer is in the wrong. Nice to know...

2. Husband has tried to get the mediation started today. The last company that he spoke to said they wouldn't deal with it as its not a new car. We're waiting on a call back from a few others to see if they'll take it on.

We're going to go to a solicitors before that point as I want to be sure we've everything we need to make this guy look like the that he is.

We thought the dealer was a limited trader but it turns out he's a sole trader. In response to your question Fred, the guy had a fairly large pitch with around 12 cars (all of which were high value) so he has assets.

If there is anyone out there that's had this happen to them I'd be eternally grateful for any tips or help!

Last edited by Lucy_Bergs; 21-08-15 at 14:48.

VO2Max

If an AO chap called Acapulco Al were here, he'd tell you to set fire to their premises.

This would make you feel better, but it's probably inadvisable.

Good luck!

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max View Post
If an AO chap called Acapulco Al were here, he'd tell you to set fire to their premises.

This would make you feel better, but it's probably inadvisable.

Good luck!
Might be an idea to remind the trader that he has a lot full of valueable cars though.

Not that I would advise setting fire to stuff either...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page