Ignorant, clueless, hazardous old drivers - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 08-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Madness Ignorant, clueless, hazardous old drivers

I'm sure this has been covered before, but it's really been ****ing me off lately...

Why must they be so ignorant as to not realise that at some stage, unfortunately, their driving ability will deterioate to a point at which they become a hazard to other road users? The number of times I've had to take evasive action and just about shat myself due to the incompetent driving of a person far too old to be on the road is beyond belief.

More often than not it's over some utterly ludicrous act of driving, such as at a busy round-a-bout where I have had to hit the brakes to avoid an old person who HASN'T EVEN BOTHERED TO LOOK towards their right, causing me to block the round-a-bout and the person behind to do so as well. It's understandable if it was poor perception of my intentions (which by the way were perfectly clear), but to drive at a slow pace AND not even LOOK!!!!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!
Also, where is the logic in merging onto a 100km/hr motorway at 50?!?!?! And I don't mean approaching it at 50 but MERGING onto it at 50, WITH traffic!!!!!!!

And just today I was driving through a carpark with more than enough space for two cars to pass abreast. Yet some old muppet makes it his duty to drive in the centre..... Nothing wrong with that if you move to your left when someone wants to pass the other way. But to stay there and STOP?!?!?! I raise my hands to denote "WTF" only to be met with a blank stubborn stare. So I'm then required to reverse into a bay I don't intend to park in, just so HE can have the thoroughfare to himself........

FFS, surely when they drive through active school zones and the likes it must be just poking sticks at tigers. Why can't they realise that the convenience a car gives them to drive to the mall and stare at people DOESN'T compensate the risk they are placing on other drivers, pedestrians and, most importantly, unpredictable children.
And I haven't even mentioned all the routine stuff like driving at donkey-pace in the motorway fast lane, poor judgement or their utter despondency at parking etc. etc.

Surely they are not incapable of having some self-discipline to acknowledge what they are doing and to JUST STOP DRIVING!!

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! Rant over.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member
166/164 Lounge Winner 09

County: Victoria

Member car:

Re: Ignorant, clueless, hazardous old drivers

Agree with you totally...Few weeks ago I was following a Camry driven by an old lady - crawling along at 35km/h in a 50 zone. I followed her almost all the way home from the shops getting gradually more frustrated, so I indicated, pulled out, sped up to 50 and overtook safely. Her expression was less than happy...but really her driving was pathetic.

They're just oblivious to other road users. Its just plain hazardous.
(Post Link) post #3 of 18 Old 08-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGM155 View Post
crawling along at 35km/h in a 50 zone. I followed her almost all the way home from the shops getting gradually more frustrated
Oooo yes, their oblivion that coincides with that, very VERY irritating.
AO Silver Member

County: Powys

I know what your saying, but I don't look forward to the day when it is directed at me
In the UK we have to retake our test into our 70's I believe, so I'm safe for a few years, P'raps we should have a mini test every 10 years, just to make sure were OK still?
Owning a car is as nearly as dangerous as owning a gun..........In the wrong hands both can cause carnage.
AO Gold Member

County: -

I know what you mean, today I was chopped up by another useless clueless , Ignorant young driver forcing me to break so hard that the ABS activated ... A few weeks ago whilst doing nearly 70 mph on a motorway another stupid young driver changed lanes with out looking whilst I was passing them in the outside lane... I was half expecting it as these hormaonally driven twits do not look....ABS worked overtime again as the car desperately tried to stop so that I would not drive throught the young fools drivers door.... Recently whilst travelling straight through a roundabout in the left lane another stupid young driver decided to turn left out of the round about from the centre (right lane) (they could 'legally' and sensibly only go straight ahead or right). if I had not imediately done a hard left turn, i.e turning with them and going out of the roundabout rather than travelling ahead we would have has a 'lovely crash'
Every day I come across these fools, hardly ever indicate, do not look when changing lanes ,drive whilst talking on the phone etc etc etc...Imagine how bad they are going to be when they actually grow up and especially when they get old !!!

Last edited by Stori; 08-09-07 at 05:23.
AO Silver Member

County: Suffolk

ooooh!!!! don't get me started on the "old fart behind the wheel" gag! it sends me nutz! instant red! they also seem to lose their sense of desency and common certessy!
(Post Link) post #7 of 18 Old 08-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason156 View Post
Owning a car is as nearly as dangerous as owning a gun..........In the wrong hands both can cause carnage.
So true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stori View Post
I know what you mean, today I was chopped up by another useless clueless , Ignorant young driver forcing me to break so hard that the ABS comae on...every day I come accross thes fools, hardly ever indicate, drive whilst talking on the phone etc etc etc...Imagine how bad they are going to be when they actually grow up !!!
Ha ha ha. Well, by most standards I am a "young driver", but I would like to think that my driving mentality is not indicative of the all-too-common idiotic driving you mention. It annoys me almost as much as the driving displayed by that select group of old people, and under no circumstances do I wish to be seen like that.
AO Gold Member

At one end of the spectrum there are those that think that they can live forever whether they use their brain or not and at the other end of the spectrum there are those that have forgotton that they cannot drive
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason156 View Post
Actually owning a car is more dangerous than owning a Gun...Normally you do not aim a gun at anything you do not want to kill and most people are not psychopaths so do not want to kill humans ...However, once behind the wheel of a car, most people tend to feel invulnerable and do not think of the consequences of their actions, ie they aim thier car at humans ... Look at the road toll and look at the numbers killed by a gun in say the UK or Australia. You are definitely more likely to be killed by a car than a firearm.
AO Silver Member

County: Suffolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stori View Post
You are definitely more likely to be killed by a car than a firearm.
Too true
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

The way forward is definitely a comprehensive re-test, covering all aspects of a persons ability to drive, at 70yrs,- that age will do for starters IMO. Re-tests should also be enforced on ,proven accident prone road users, probably equally as important, if not more so. In fact, some folk should NEVER ever, be allowed to take controlof a motor vehicle.

Hope I can keep up to scratch for a while yet, personally, but if it was ascertained safe driving was beyond my ability, so be it.

As a wee consolation prize for myself, having taken the preliminary test last year to drive, on the C2 simulator, and having been informed by the DM instructor I passed with flying colours, I hope I can maintain this standard for a number of years yet.:
AO Platinum Member

Stori will have to view my rendition later I guess, Eh? Alfaspence.:
AO Platinum Member

Must go chaps, before some invisible hacker gets at my system yet again. Need some brain-food, as I have a very hectic day ahead, which I hope will be rewarding.: Hacker, if it is this site, reports are being forwarded, No1 son, programmer/analyst, (mainframes etc.graduate) is coming to have a gander at ole dads system, later, wish me luck.:
Jed
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Rosso GT

I think EVERYONE should be made to re-take their tests every 10 years. This should make some difference at both ends of the spectrum don't you think??

If not legally, maybe incentivise them with reduced car tax / insurance / whatever....
AO Platinum Member

Good idea Jed, if not more frequently for some
Jed
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Rosso GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu ferret View Post
Good idea Jed, if not more frequently for some
Mmmm.....

Drivers of a certain germanic marque??
White van drivers?
Men going through their mid-life crisis?
Women who enjoy window shopping whilst driving?

AO Platinum Member

Just the old and infirm, and the totally reckless ones, will do for starters I reckon?:
AO Silver Member

County: Powys

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu ferret View Post
Just the old and infirm, and the totally reckless ones, will do for starters I reckon?:
Every one with a car then ?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page