Bad Programming - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Verbout
  • 1 Post By VO2Max
  • 1 Post By GhostyDog

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 01-08-15 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey
Bad Programming

I'm in a bad mood today (see earlier Outsourcing thread in Rant Room if you are in the least bit interested why) and having to spend a lot of time on the Internet too as a result (getting numbers, searching for info etc). This is not a good combination.

So now on my iMac I run Mountain Lion rather than Yosemite because my iMac is a 2008 model and only has 2GB and I'm too mean to buy a new one. As a result I always run Dr Cleaner in the background to monitor memory usage and tidy up fragmentation when starting and stopping heavy memory usage apps like iTunes and iPhoto.

What I have noticed, however, is just how poorly written the memory management is of Safari.

After a clean boot my iMac shows utilization of around 80% of memory (so about 1.6 of the 2GB used) due to apps initialising, downloads etc etc. I run Dr Cleaner after each reboot and that brings utilization down to a steady state of around 55% usage.

If all I do then is launch Safari it goes up to around 70% memory utilization, but as I browse and switch windows/sites etc over the course of around 1 hour it shows utilization of 90-98% and everything slows riiiiight dooooowwwnnnnn. I then run Dr Cleaner again and get it back to 70-75% and go again.

And here's the rub - if I just exit Safari, it doesn't free much of it up (maybe a couple of percent).

Now - Why do I have to be manually in charge of memory cleanup? Why is Safari such a leaky app? Why does Apple's flagship browser do such a lousy job of memory management? Why is it ok for Apple to release stuff like this?

When I learned to code in the early 1980s you treated memory like the precious jewel that it was. If you allocated yourself a big old chunk of 8k RAM for your process, you had better return all 8k when you exited otherwise your boss, or your testing team, would send you back a snitty note about learning how to manage your heaps/stacks and queues before releasing code. It was a sin.

Nowadays we trash around with Gigabytes of memory and happily leave hundreds of Megabytes locked up and unusable at exit.

For what I do with my iMac, the 2GB should be quite enough. I shouldn't need to be hovering at 98% capacity most of the time.

Presumably in Cupertino they are too busy trying on Polo Neck jumpers and counting their self-congratulatory awards and share price to actually be doing a good tech job on writing code.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Bristol

Member car:

GT JTS

I stopped at Fortran77 and BBC Basic, Fred but a good rant.
VO2Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredDibnah View Post
Presumably in Cupertino they are too busy trying on Polo Neck jumpers and counting their self-congratulatory awards and share price to actually be doing a good tech job on writing code.

Or maybe they're congratulating themselves on the latest new-computer sales figures?

AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Bloat.

Software starts out great but over the years people who had nothing to do with the original application come in and bolt features on. Normally at the request of marketing and or one large client.

New Windows10 browser is meant to be good.
Give it a few years and it won't be.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

A bit like people.
BigFoot likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

I thought that was only *Windaz code that did that?

* As a UNIX admin I actually rather like Windaz now. Shush though don't tell I'll be thrown out of the UNIX club.
AO Platinum Member

All browsers are like this, Chrome is particularly bad, the more tabs you have open the more hungry it gets as each tab is a process in it's own right, also a lot of sites with dynamic content now rely on client side code to build and render the site, this takes cpu and memory, I bet a plain old page of html doesn't cause massive bloat, but a page full of dynamic advertising and video streams is going to use an awful lot of dynamic cache.

Why not just upgrade the physical memory in your machine? the reason it slows down is because it's swapping out unused memory pages to disk, you've essentially got a resource bottleneck you can't do anything about other than add more resource, in your case the best approach would be more dynamic ram, as it's relatively cheap and easy to install. A step further would be to replace the spinning disk for SSD as this will speed up paging operations between dynamic and static memory as the only limitation will be your bus speed and contention.

So don't blame Safari, blame web developers for being code sloppy (and your innate mingebaggery for not stumping up for a new computer ).

Nero Fuoco 147 Lusso - Bianco Nuvola 147 GTA - Carbonio Brera SV - Azzurro Le Mans GT 1600 Junior
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo
Just on AO you can read this sort of post and replies. Kudos to you all
VO2Max

The IT Crowd...don'tcha just love 'em?
BigFoot likes this.

AO Platinum Member

Bog right off
VO2Max likes this.
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Do you mean Log right off........No?
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max View Post
The IT Crowd...don'tcha just love 'em?
Shut it, Bicycle-Man.

VO2Max

rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Is it actually swapping, or is the OS just caching files and appearing to consume memory? Former bad, latter is good, though superficially looks scary.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
"When I learned to code in the early 1980s you treated memory like the precious jewel that it was. If you allocated yourself a big old chunk of 8k RAM for your process, you had better return all 8k when you exited otherwise your boss, or your testing team, would send you back a snitty note about learning how to manage your heaps/stacks and queues before releasing code. It was a sin."

this

:tum:

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page