Outsourcing - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pud237

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 01-08-15 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey
Outsourcing

What a joke most outsourcing is as far as dealing with customers.

I'm sure it makes wonderful commercial sense for everyone to get everyone else to do their job - but when you are on the receiving end of the "eternal circle of referral" that outsourcing seems to invariably lead to - it's a total mess.

I live on an estate that has a "Management Company" who are separate from the "Estate Owner" who are separate from the "Maintenance and Security" guys.

Basically the Estate Owner company has outsourced the day to day management of the houses to a Management Company who have in turn outsourced anything that requires dirty hands to the Maintenance and Security company. They each have a contract with each other for services. I have a sneaking suspicion that the Maintenance company have further outsourced security as they seem to have no idea what is going on in that area.

This all works fine and dandy when you only need maintenance done, or you only need to renew your lease, or you only need to get a new gate pass..... but sometimes you need to do something a bit "complicated" and then it all breaks down.

For reasons too dull to go into - we are moving to a different house on the same estate - so this requires us to sign a new lease with the Management Company for the new house, cancel our lease on the current house, get movers to come in and shift our stuff from one house to another and get the utility bills switched off at the current house and on for the new house. We also need to get signed out of our current house and get our deposit back, and we need to snag and takeover our new house. This all has to happen on a single day. Quite a normal process in fact, repeated the world over.

No chance.

The Management Company will issue the new lease, but the snagging and take on has to be done by the Maintenance Company. The Maintenance company can't do the take on of the new house til we are signed out of the old house. The Managament company can't sign us out of the old house til we have moved our furniture out. We can't move our furniture out without a release certificate from the Estate Owner company shows that we have settled all our payments with them. The moving company can't come onto the estate without an access certificate which gate security need to see - but nobody is really sure who issues those. The moving company are also required by law to see a clearance certificate from the property owner before allowing us to load furniture (presumably to stop people doing runners) and a clearance certificate from the new house owner before unloading (presumably to stop squatters) and they need to see both of these before starting work. We can't get the clearance certificate until the house is empty and the utilities signed off......

It's a huge spiral of incompetence created by a heady combination of local bureaucracy, outsourcing and a lack of common sense. I assume all these certificates are to justify billing between the companies. It would all be so much simpler if it was one single entity to deal with.

At every turn I am referred to one or other of the involved companies.

I can see my new house from where I am sitting typing this. I have paid my cheque to the Estate Owner for the lease, which starts tomorrow. I have absolutely no idea how to get from here to there. Seemingly nobody else does either.

It would have been far easier to move out of here entirely to a new house somewhere else. I wish I had done now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VO2Max

This is known as: the inevitably much smoother, cheaper and easier operation for the benefit of useless f'ing management the customer.

As a manager, if you have a problem, simply give it to someone else and make the customer pay for it.

It's also often what happens in the public sector in the UK, because private enterprise is always better and cheaper by its very nature.

I can only sympathise Fred .

VO2Max

Do this: hire a large van. When no-one's looking, move all your stuff into the new gaff.

Then, under cover of darkness, get a screwdriver and remove and swap the house numbers. No-one need ever know.

Sorted

AO Silver Member

County: Bristol

Member car:

GT JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max View Post

It's also often what happens in the public sector in the UK, because private enterprise is always better and cheaper by its very nature.

I can only sympathise Fred .
I have to say that outsourcing in the private sector is, errr... _not without its problems_*

You have my sympathy too, Fred

* ludicrous litotes, BTW
AO Silver Member

County: Suffolk
Doesn't "a bung" work quite well in that country, to get papers signed off?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
Have you trashed your old house?
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max View Post

That's irony, yes?

Hope it's all sorted, Fred!
VO2Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkiT View Post
That's irony, yes?

Hope it's all sorted, Fred!

I'll give you three guesses (surprised you need any).

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Can't you just outsource your problem to someone else and get them to sort it all out for you?
EauRouge likes this.
AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Can't you just outsource your problem to someone else and get them to sort it all out for you?
I like your thinking Dan, play them at their own game.

Fred my only advice is smile and force their hand. With job's worths there are always loopholes?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page