Greece in flames - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 29-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfasud TI

Greece in flames

Don't know if you have seen it but my country has been overwhelmed by what appears to be a barrage of wildfires: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6966154.stm

Most of the Peloponnese peninsula has been devastated, including ancient Olympia, the site of the first Olympic Games.

There is much debate over who is behind the fires (150 fires in one day cannot all be random events) and who is more to blame for the inefficiency of the state in putting out the fires. An election is due 16 September so you can imagine that political debates in the media are electrified.

73 people have died, a whole district of Greece, Peloponnese has been environmentally and economically destroyed and most of the forests near and around Athens have been burnt. From now on we are expecting heavy environmental impact because of this, i.e. very hot summers with heatwaves cold winters with floods until the forests have recuperated.

We've had wildfires every summer but this is by far the worst summer of all.

"Black holes are where God divided by zero." - Steven Wright
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 2.0 TS Lusso

Re: Greece in flames

Heard about this on the news, very sad to hear hope you are ok
AlfaLincs

I was in Crete a months ago and three people died in a forest fire not far from where we were, but there was not that much publicity.

Its a great tragedy and not only do I feel so very sorry for those who have lost family, but I also shake my head at the mentality of people who would set fires deliberately and cause such stupid destruction.

There is a lot of speculation about unscrupulous developers causing these fires, but the widespread number of fires in the Peloponnese can hardly be all down to these people. Its difficult to know what to do to people if they are proven to have set these fires deliberately in the hottest driest summer in Greece for years.

I know what i'd like to do to them, but I shan't say.

AlfaLincs

Nev

This is horrendous, both the devastation and the
large death toll.

I think I've posted before there are 3 causes
for fire in the Med:

(1) People looking to build and make money.
(2) Pyromaniacs.
(3) Careless/stupid people.

As you say alfasud, the large majority of these
fire are very suspicious and leads us to think
that they are mostly caused by (1)!

The government should have passed a law
stating any destroyed land cannot be built
upon.

It is truly shocking.

AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Makes me feel very fortunate to dwell where I do.: Even managed to escape from the recent UK floods.: Flaming infernos, a fearful happening, feel very sorry for the folk who have lost everything, and of course the deaths it brought about.:
Nev

They are scary ZF. We were evacuated
from our office 5 years ago due to a massive
forest fire out the back. Flames where 60 ft high.

Was impressive to see the Canadair flying boats
dropping water.

Turned out to be started by moron builders cooking on a
makeshift BBQ.

AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Something to be said for the wet old British Islands, provided you live on a hill?:
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

It is terrible but looks to be under control now. If only we could balance floods with good weather (not fires)
(Post Link) post #9 of 12 Old 30-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfasud TI

Kelly, thank you for your concern. I was in no danger as I live in Athens. But some people I know who live in Peloponnese have lost houses or farms and their stock to the fires.

Nev, the fires were so ferocious because of the dry strong wind that they even outran cars with people trying to escape. That's how most of the fatalities happened. I've heard a waterbomber pilot in the TV say that there were cases where not even the planes were able to slow down the advance of the fire front. They dropped their payload, refilled from the sea and returned to find the fire burning stronger.

As for the causes, it is certainly a combination of 3 and mostly 1. How can anyone explain the fact that there were several different sources of fire at close locations that were started minutes apart from each other? There have been cases where some people made phone calls to the fire department to report fires that weren't there to throw the firefighters on a wild goose chase.

Every time a forest fire is extinguished we have a politician stating that no one will be allowed to build on the site but every time luxury houses and hotels spring up on the burnt grounds.
AlfaLincs

"Something to be said for the wet old British Islands, provided you live on a hill?"

Actually ZF fire is a big problem in the Yorkshire Dales and Moors. if the underlying peat gets alight its almost impossible to fully extinguish, and I have known moorland peat fires that have smouldered away for over three years with the ever present threat of a fire breakout in dry spells. Its terribly destructive of the ecosystem for obvious reasons.

Usual cause is discarded cigarette ends...but whats new

AlfaLincs

AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Hello We were in the same area in the Pelopnnese a couple of years back and when we see Greece burning it breaks our hearts, watching the area around Olmypia was very sad as we can remember been there and also the other areas that where burning, Very sorry about the peolple that have lost there live,s and there home,s but the Greek people are strong and i am sure that all will be well in the future.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Very sad to hear and see what's happening

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page