Previous Owners - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 11-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 V6

Previous Owners

I have just been to my local tyre place with the usual screw in the centre of the tyre. They checked the tyre by removing it from the rim as it had penetrated the tyre and to my horror there was a substantial amount of rubber in granulated pieces around the tyre. it had been run flat and parts of the sidewalls had started to disintegrate, and was told that it was a ticking time bomb that would have caused the tyre to fail sooner rather than later. I am now confronted with 4 new tyres as the fronts needed doing any way but the rear tyres were Fine, just when I have no more money.

How Stupid did I feel leaving the garage with the space saver on because they didn’t have any decent tyres left.

This sort of thing just reminds us that there are plonkers that will drive such wonderful cars and the bigger plonkers that repair them with absolutely no regard for your safety and no clue about what to do

The propeller at the front of an aeroplane is only there as a fan to keep the pilot cool. When it stops watch him sweat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Powys
Re: Previous Owners

Sadly many people have not got a clue about tyres, they can make (or break) a car, also please bear in mind that as the speed rating on a tyre increases you can patch it fewer times.
Ie on a std tyre 2 repairs thru to (I think) z rated tyres that should never be repaired!!!!!!!!
Don't take risks with your life...
AlfaLincs

Reminds me of my first ever holiday job..on the petrol pumps/polishing cars/fixing punctures at the Northern Renault Distributors..Crossways Motors at Leeming Bar in 1971 (long since gone sadly).

A bloke drove in with a flat tyre and asked us to fix it. I took it off the rim and the inside had completely disintegrated. The owner said he wanted it repaired...even at age 17 I knew it was a gonner and explained this..he didn't accept it, so I got the supervisor..who explained again..then the bloke tried to say I'd done it removing the tyre.

Even though you know you havn't, you feel terrible just in case the superviser agrees, but no..the supervisor read the guy the riot act, making false accusation against a young lad etc.. we put the spare on and the supervisor politely told him to clear off...no charge.

I was still very upset at the accusation though, but thats how you learn about life I suppose.

They are out there you know

AlfaLincs

(Post Link) post #4 of 8 Old 14-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 V6

Thanks for the comments guys, Well it's almost sorted and back to the way she should be driven. The 80kph malarkey has driven me insane
I have ordered 4 Toyo Proxies T1-R's for her so I am hoping it will give better performance than the Firehawk 700 that she already had on all for the princely sun of £220.80 from mytyres.co.uk
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

People say that you should never buy used tyres, but if you buy a used car it is bound to have used tyres on it.

I always give the tyres on my cars a good going over before I drive it too far, if they are a crappy make I will argue the price down accordingly then get them replaced.

Tyres can be replaced but lives can't.
AO Gold Member

County: Cheshire
Garage

Member car:

AstraBox

When I bought my Stilo I remembered to check the tread as per their reputation for tyre wear, but I didnt notice I had 3 different tyre makes! But now I have 4 Vredestein's on and they look ace!

I think any car I buy now ill probably change the tyres!
AO Silver Member

County: Powys

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotes_uk View Post
When I bought my Stilo I remembered to check the tread as per their reputation for tyre wear, but I didnt notice I had 3 different tyre makes! But now I have 4 Vredestein's on and they look ace!

I think any car I buy now ill probably change the tyres!
It could be just in my head but I allways think a matched set of tyres drives better, more sorted, you know.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
People say that you should never buy used tyres, but if you buy a used car it is bound to have used tyres on it.

I've often thought that too! Many years ago I knew an army major who said that, as part of the preventative maintenance on lorries, the tyres were removed from rims, inspected with the rims and then only put back on if satisfactory. Seemed over to top to me then but these days it makes sense.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page