I got a round of applause! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 57 Old 03-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Berkshire
Not Happy I got a round of applause!

There I was, driving home, decided to come off the M4 a junction early and use country roads for a nice blast for the final few miles, when I see a slow moving Renault Megane Scenic ahead. It was a beautiful arrow straight stretch of road nearly a mile long, so of course I decided to overtake, as the road was clear and it was safe. Apparently this upset the driver of the Scenic, who proceed to take both hands off his steering wheel to applaud my manoeuvre. Why must people make exaggerated demonstrations of stupidity when they disapprove of something another road user has done? Just prior to this, I was driving round an empty roundabout, and as I took the road I wanted, a driver coming the other way was pointing furiously at me! What for? I admit I like to corner fast, but it wasn't like my tyres were squealing! Maybe it's just my driving, but it really pl55ed me off when the Scenic driver added his applause just half a mile donw the road. Okay, rant over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Essex
Re: I got a round of applause!

I had one guy last night take both hands off the wheel and make "mental" signs at me! hehe. I found it quite funny really.

The Motorcyclists that shake their head at me are the most annoying. It's normally when they can get past my car in a queue. I wouldnt mind but on a motorway or Dual Carriage was I always leave room for bikes. Garrr.. Stupid power rangers.
(Post Link) post #3 of 57 Old 03-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

I agree with that, I'm always moving out of their way. I like my mirrors where they are. I read on a forum somewhere a thread by a biker that was sick of cars blocking his way in a traffic jam, and was proud of the dents he put in a car by kicking it as he went past!
wrinx

I had a guy moving one hand at me today....I think he was one hand clapping

Because he crawled (dangerously!) onto a major roundabout so I gave him a little pip of the horn, this seemed to really upset the Scenic driver, Mmm I see a pattern developing...

wrinx

VO2Max

Sounds like the Scenic drivers are too busy admiring the scenery, rather than getting on with it!

BTW Demon, next time you get a round of applause, be sure to give a big thumbs-up and a nice cheesy grin, that'll p!ss 'em off!

AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

In the Clio, I used to get this a lot. I could overtake in absolute safety, giving a wide berth, not cutting in, doing nothing to offend the other car bar the fact I was passing it (not even at a huge speed increase; my 45 to their 35). And I got flashing lights, hands waving etc.

So I would then assess the situation from an outsider perspective; what has just happend to annoy that driver? One car has safely passed another at no risk and not a great speed and with absolute safety. Why is the other driver annoyed? Look, I'm a nice bloke, and I don't like hostility, which is why I asked the question; how has what I have just done, offended them?

The only conclusion I could come to (in the C172), was that as you passed cars on acceleration, the Clio's exhaust was fruity '****** you, slow coach!" loud. For many, it is an affront to be overtaken (no matter how innocuously); but to be blared at by an exhaust that amplifies the act of overtaking, is for some a step too far. Hence the gestures, I guess.

I cannot think of any other reason why overtaking would be an affront to those people.

g

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.
(Post Link) post #7 of 57 Old 03-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max View Post
Sounds like the Scenic drivers are too busy admiring the scenery, rather than getting on with it!

BTW Demon, next time you get a round of applause, be sure to give a big thumbs-up and a nice cheesy grin, that'll p!ss 'em off!
I did give him the thumbs up as I was heading off into the distance. It is a diesel (albeit a nice sounding one), so maybe that's what offended him.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire

I generally give them another digit

Bike drivers tend to only go u your arse on straight's, i've never found a road louse weekend biker yet who would risk cornering as fast as I do.
ode
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

A Fiat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
I generally give them another digit

Bike drivers tend to only go u your arse on straight's, i've never found a road louse weekend biker yet who would risk cornering as fast as I do.
Wait 'till I get another bike then
AO Member

Member car:

GTV

2.4JTDemon - this road wasn't the Hungerford to Wantage road from junction 14 was it? The roundabout you talk about sounds like the one I used to get some 'knee-down' action on the bike.
(Post Link) post #11 of 57 Old 04-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

No, but that is a favourite of mine. The roundabout I mean is just outside Newbury on the A4.
AO Platinum Member

Perahps he was genuinely applauding you as he liked your car
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire

He drives a Megane Scenic, so his judgement is poor - simply ignore
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

With the number of drivers on the roads now it is no surprise that we all encounter ******s of one sort or another. If you were happy you were safe and not wild (I'm not suggesting you might have been either), just ignore the clown.

Two weeks ago I was coming back along the A70 which is a great road towards the M74 in Scotland if you don't know it. I was stuck behind a new Passat going moderately quickly, about 60-70 most of the time, but this was slower than my comfortable speed along this route (traffic permitting). I sat behind him for miles because it wasn't safe to pass. We eventually reach a long downhill sweeping right-left S and it bottoms at the start of the left then climbs gently. You can see for 3/4 mile ahead, no traffic, he slowed I gave a long indication and cleanly went through. I passed him -on the wrong side of the road obviously- towards the end of the right hander (still seeing it was clear ahead) now pulling 75 to his 55-60. He starts gesturing madly as I pass. He was out of my mirrors in less than a minute. He just didn't want someone to pass him. Knob-head. But it made me wonder if I was going daft at the time. I wasn't.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Jan 2019 New Giulia Veloce Misano Blue
2008-15 New 159Ti experience: overwhelmingly positive. Reliable and fun over nearly 100k.
2015-18 147 1.6TS runaround
6/9/12 - 15 New Mito 135MA Distinctive - 100% reliable 37k

Last edited by 73GTVJim; 04-08-07 at 09:47.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfasud TI

Many people don't take being overtaken that well. Some flash their lights, some will do anything to overtake or even undertake you back and some will even accelerate as you try to overtake.

I was driving on a winding B-road with a friend of mine and his Sprint and we were stuck behind a convoy of 6-7 cars behind a bus crawling with 30km/h. The rest of the cars would not overtake the bus so we started carefully overtaking them one by one. All of them would helped us until at some point I was behind an old guy in an old Audi 80 who was driving about two car lengths away from the car in front of him. I thought that he was making space for me to overtake safely but as soon as I started overtaking he accelerated, closed the gap and started waving frantically and calling me names. Then he reopened the gap.

I thought that maybe I had done something bad so after a few minutes I gave it a second try. He did the same thing again. Then the driver of the car in front of him saw the whole thing, eased off and opened up the gap between himself and the car in front of him to make space for my reentry. I overtook both of them and waved in gratitude at the guy. My friend in the Sprint who was behind me got the same treatment from the deranged old [email protected] in the Audi and he was also helped by the driver of the car at the front of him.

After some minutes and having overtaken the leading bus we decided that we were both too angry to drive so we pulled over at the side of the road to drink some water and cool down. Well, after a minute or two the cars with the slow bus at the front paraded in front of us. We were so angry that we walked close to the crawling Audi and started provoking the old [email protected] to stop so that we had a word with him. We saw him turn white and fix his eyes at the end of his bonnet while the other drivers nodded at us with understanding. We waited another fifteen minutes to put some space between us and them and left.

Until then I could not believe that there would be someone so deranged that would put my life in danger in order to prevent me from overtaking him.

"Black holes are where God divided by zero." - Steven Wright
(Post Link) post #16 of 57 Old 04-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

It just goes to show how territorial some drivers can be. Either that, or he just liked looking at your cars in his rearview
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Alfasud.ti, have had this before, its pretty damn scary. We'd been fishing, and my mate had his slingshot with him, and I had some aniseed balls, so when we did get to overtake...

Well, it was fun, anyway
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Also, another good one is to keep a few of those little tubs of tomato sauce you get when you go to Mc D's or whatever, once your in front, peel the lid and let it go out of your driver's window, your slipstream pulls it right into the middle of the back of your car, and if the ignorant road-****** is driving right up your backside, it will land right in the middle of his windscreen.

Dangerous? Probably. Funny? Oh yes. Deserving? Without a doubt!
AO Member

Member car:

Alfasud TI

The expression on his face: Priceless!
(Post Link) post #20 of 57 Old 05-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Also, another good one is to keep a few of those little tubs of tomato sauce you get when you go to Mc D's or whatever, once your in front, peel the lid and let it go out of your driver's window, your slipstream pulls it right into the middle of the back of your car, and if the ignorant road-****** is driving right up your backside, it will land right in the middle of his windscreen.

Dangerous? Probably. Funny? Oh yes. Deserving? Without a doubt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfasud.ti View Post
The expression on his face: Priceless!
And if it's a Smart Crossblade, the ketchup on his face!
HSTDriver

If you ever perform a perfectly safe overtaking manouvre and the get a load of verbal from the slower driver, I find it shuts them up if you turn and look them in the eye as you draw alongside (making sure the road is 100% clear in front of you, natch lol) and raise your index finger to your lips in the time honoured indication of SHHHHHHHH........

It's a quite unexpected reaction, and usually stumps them quite nicely

(Post Link) post #22 of 57 Old 08-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Nice, I'll remember that one.
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
If you ever perform a perfectly safe overtaking manouvre and the get a load of verbal from the slower driver, I find it shuts them up if you turn and look them in the eye as you draw alongside (making sure the road is 100% clear in front of you, natch lol) and raise your index finger to your lips in the time honoured indication of SHHHHHHHH........

I like it. Will try that one....
AO Member

Member car:

Alfasud TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post

Maybe it can be a little more emphasised if you then drag your palm horizontally across your throat in the time honoured indication of "or you're a dead man".
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.4JTDemon View Post
I agree with that, I'm always moving out of their way. I like my mirrors where they are. I read on a forum somewhere a thread by a biker that was sick of cars blocking his way in a traffic jam, and was proud of the dents he put in a car by kicking it as he went past!
this actually doesn't work. A friend of my sister discovered that one of Newton's laws comes into effect as you kick the car: the equal and opposite force deposited them from their bike onto the road.... ouch.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page