I hate CNN - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 29-07-07 Thread Starter
Jed
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Rosso GT

Not Happy I hate CNN

Spending a fair bit of time in China at the mo' and have usually had the English speaking news channels on in the background when in my hotel room.

I've found that CNN are actively contributing to the "what we don't understand scares us" type paranoia in their home country. Over the past 4 days they've been repeatedly showing a section on the quality of products leaving China. I'm all for ensuring safety etc etc - but there's a constant negative overtone to the reports which, to an ill-advised viewer, may give the impression that all products leaving China are going to kill you!

Note this is repeated every 4 hours or so, just in case you hadn't gotten the necessary level of fear

I know this fascinating country a little better after being here for a short while. It's such a diverse developing nation of immense size and cultural wealth. It also recognises that it needs to do to play in the world "market".

It is immediately followed, (again then played infinitum) with a full 20 minute section, titled "Quest for Style", giving airtime to complete airhead, facile, self-opiniated/obsessed [email protected] in the so-called "style" / fashion industry!!

Why can't they just give a balanced representation??
AAARRRGGGHHHH!!

The meek shall inherit the earth
but not the mineral rights
J. Paul Getty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2 V6

Re: I hate CNN

I've hated that stupid, droning, and to many hypnotic, instrument of bushlite forever. You are right. It's like one big infomercial in the guise of reporting news. Unfortunately there are legions of sheeple that do not realize (how one could not I don't know) how slanted it is.
AO Gold Member

County: -

I supse that when food is 'contaminated' and is actually found to be so, then it is easy to create a little hysteria....
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

I do prefer BBC International or whatever it's called.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed View Post
Spending a fair bit of time in China at the mo' and have usually had the English speaking news channels on in the background when in my hotel room.

I've found that CNN are actively contributing to the "what we don't understand scares us" type paranoia in their home country. Over the past 4 days they've been repeatedly showing a section on the quality of products leaving China. I'm all for ensuring safety etc etc - but there's a constant negative overtone to the reports which, to an ill-advised viewer, may give the impression that all products leaving China are going to kill you!

Note this is repeated every 4 hours or so, just in case you hadn't gotten the necessary level of fear

I know this fascinating country a little better after being here for a short while. It's such a diverse developing nation of immense size and cultural wealth. It also recognises that it needs to do to play in the world "market".

It is immediately followed, (again then played infinitum) with a full 20 minute section, titled "Quest for Style", giving airtime to complete airhead, facile, self-opiniated/obsessed [email protected] in the so-called "style" / fashion industry!!

Why can't they just give a balanced representation??
AAARRRGGGHHHH!!
Read Barry Glasser's "The Culture of Fear: Why Americans are Afraid of the Wrong Things" (or anything by Noam Chomsky).

Fact is, mass media is controlled by neoconservative interests (top 1000 radio stations owned by Clear Channel, top 63 TV stations by Sinclair Broadcasting, not to mention Fox TV, CNN and more than 80% of the newspapers in the country). Fearmongering allows Bush to steal the presidency and to remain in office despite repeatedly breaking the law, fearmongering got support for Bush's preempitve war on Iraq, and fearmongering allowed Bush to repeal large parts of the US Bill of Rights (including the right to privacy and also to a fair trial) with the Orwellianly names "US Patriot Act".

Ironically, the only two TV shows I've ever watched for real news these past few years are actually comedy shows - Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert. These guys use satire and wit to tell the truth about all the cr*p that is going on in the States...
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
I do prefer BBC International or whatever it's called.
Murdoch booted the BBC off his satellite service
in China many years ago at the request of the
Chinese regime.

CNN is obviously still there because they bow
to Chinese pressure, so it's surprising
they have taken this stance.

(Post Link) post #7 of 13 Old 29-07-07 Thread Starter
Jed
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Rosso GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stori View Post
I supse that when food is 'contaminated' and is actually found to be so, then it is easy to create a little hysteria....
Foodwise, I thought it was only some pet food that was found to be contaminated? No accounting for some gastronomcal tastes though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
Murdoch booted the BBC off his satellite service
in China many years ago at the request of the
Chinese regime.

CNN is obviously still there because they bow
to Chinese pressure, so it's surprising
they have taken this stance.

There's the BBC World service here Maybe there's been a recent change of "heart"??

The fact that Bush is stating, albeit as ever incoherently, that food imports are now a matter of "national secuuuritee" is surely both provocative and (as GTACharlie put it) designed to propogate further fearmongering.
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed View Post
The fact that Bush is stating, albeit as ever incoherently, that food imports are now a matter of "national secuuuritee" is surely both provocative and (as GTACharlie put it) designed to propogate further fearmongering.
I think you'll find that's the Bush regime's way
of conducting an illicit trade war.

Imports to the US from China exceed exports
to China from the US. They need to use any
underhanded way to reduce this.

(Post Link) post #9 of 13 Old 30-07-07 Thread Starter
Jed
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Rosso GT

I agree - extreme protectionism (& xenophobia) at work.
Strange how the no.1 advocate of free market capitalism gets very shakey when it knocks on their door

Everyone I've spoken to is really concerned about the corner stone of China's development, that of exports, being threatened by making "made in china" a dirty word.

US consumers + economy benefit, but the low value of the Chinese currency obviously threatens their trade defecit.

I still hate CNN tho' for their drip-drip of a mixture of fear and the utter banal!! Grrrr....

Rant over - ta!

Last edited by Jed; 31-07-07 at 21:30.
Nev

Watch "The Daily Show"

It will restore your faith in America(ns).

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Don't watch TV or even own a TV. Firstly, because I don't want to pay a TV license, secondly because it is brain-destroying and wastes thousands of hours of peoples lives, sat staring at the idiot box. Better yet, read a book, or a newspaper (not News Corp), or read the news on the Internet.

I found that I had far more free time once I had gotten rid of the TV. I joined the gym, and now feel a lot healthier, am a lot stronger and look better than I did when my evenings consisted of sitting in front of the TV grazing on biscuits and toast etc.

Throw away your television!
AlfaLincs

What Pud say is true. I was at a school with 12 different houses. We were the only one without a TV (annual vote)..and guess what, our house had the highest 'out of hours' attendance at the art school, music school, technology lab..you name it, by a country mile.

TV stifles creativity..though I confess there are three of the bloody things in our house, and that is at least two too many IMHO, but I only live here

CNN I hate, anything Murdoch I hate (though to be fair he did sort out the most insidious closed shop union in the UK..which was no bad thing IMHO).

And yes..you only have to speak to people who actually go to China to appreciate the diversity of the place... I used to work for a company that managed a lot of money in Hong Kong, and they were selling the China story pretty hard 20 years ago. I have friends who have moved their factories to China, but I also hear horror stories about the sweat shop garment industry, the removal of safety guards from steam pressing machines, and the appalling scars on the arms of the operators evidencing the accidents that occur as a result.

You just have to look at our own industrial revolution, and its happening in China right now..the good and the bad.

Did you know that even during the Communist era 20% of the Chinese economy was still in private hands . They are natural entrepreneurs, unlike the Soviets who centralised and controlled everything, and have had a very painful time adjusting to the way the rest of the world economy works.

I must add I have never been to China or indeed anywhere near, but I did have a nice takeaway from the Golden Dragon in Boston last night...does that count??..No, didn't think so.

AlfaLincs

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

AlfaLincs, you are right about the Chinese people, they are naturally clever, inventive people, and would probably have been colonising us if it wasn't for their obedience to their emperors, who followed the Confucian faith, and disregarded inventions and new technology, and lived tucked away in the forbidden city while the rest of the world eventually caught up, and then overtook China.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page