Plumbing ....... Grrrrrr - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 05-07-07 Thread Starter
GJ
AO Platinum Member

County: Herefordshire

Member car:

Spider S4

Plumbing ....... Grrrrrr

Nothing quite fits...

I'm replacing all the fittings in the bathroom

The new pillar tap on the basin is about a 1/4" shorter than the previous one.... so I had to cut the feed pipes short and then fit a longer pipe to connect to the tap tails

The I fitted the basin waste... guess what........ it's about 1/4" longer than the previous one so I've had to cut a chunk off the wasts pipe to get it to fit....

Is it too much to ask that dimensions on these things are standardised so that fittings are interchangeable without having to alter the feed and waste pipes

Tomorrow I'll be doing the bath ... that is something I'm really looking forward to

......and then there's the tools that you need...

Large Stilsons (haven't used these ....... yet)
Small Stilsons
Mini Stilsons
Mole grips
Large adjustable spanner
Small adjustable spanner
Two screwdrivers
Basin spanner
Hacksaw
Pipe cutter
File
Stanley knife
Emery cloth
Boss white
Silicone sealant

Working on an Alfa is a piece of cake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: Plumbing ....... Grrrrrr

are you using plastic fittings?
(Post Link) post #3 of 18 Old 05-07-07 Thread Starter
GJ
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Spider S4

Plastic waste

Copper on the hot and cold feeds
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

GJ, Not got those 10mm 'skinny' feed copper pipes, like we have on our basin mixer taps, by any chance? So crammed together, can't get a fag paper between them:
(Post Link) post #5 of 18 Old 05-07-07 Thread Starter
GJ
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Spider S4

No..... they're 15mm and reasonably accessible... once you've removed the pedestal...

I just don't understand why the taps are different lengths..

Every time I do some plumbing the job is more complicated than I thought
AO Platinum Member

I'd agree with those comments: In the 'past life' had a little to do with some of the plumbing in the 'Fatherland' I seem to recollect it was much more standardised, and coupled together much easier than our mixture. Alfa Lincs is the man! Told me the pressure required in that expansion vessel thing in our combination boiler.:
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ford Fiesta ST 3

plumbing can be so frustrating! I hate doing any. Those flexible pipes helped when I did our bathroom. Braided metal look (bit like fancy brake pipes!) meant the fit to the taps on bath and sink were an easy fit.
AO Platinum Member

Never used those 'flexis,' but have seen them at various outlets, and they appear to be a very useful bit of 'gubbins'.:
(Post Link) post #9 of 18 Old 05-07-07 Thread Starter
GJ
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Spider S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.deackes View Post
Those flexible pipes helped when I did our bathroom. Braided metal look (bit like fancy brake pipes!) meant the fit to the taps on bath and sink were an easy fit.
I used them but the pipes leading to them were too short ('cause the tap was shorter) and the rest of the pipework is all boxed in and tiled so I had to cut the pipes shorter.... add a connector and then fit the braided pipes. They are very good....

Wait till I try the Bath taps and pop up waste tomorrow They are all piped up solid with 22mm

..... time will tell
AlfaLincs

Although I am a qualified plumber I hardly do any plumbing being mostly involved with servicing and breakdowns on central heating systems. So..somewhat pretentiously..we call ourselves Gas Engineers...which sounds altogether more important cos its got the word engineer in it.

Then there is that wonderful word Expert Ex..as in 'used to be' and Spurt as in 'drip under pressure'.

Engineer..as seen on desks at Leeds Uni "Yesterday I couldn't spell engineer. Today I are one"

I don't like bathrooms much either. I like soil and vent pipes even less

I know plumbers who pay other plumbers to do their home stuff..you think I jest!!!!

AlfaLincs

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ford Fiesta ST 3

Well I wish you luck AlfaGJ, jope it goes better than you are expecting!!
(Post Link) post #12 of 18 Old 06-07-07 Thread Starter
GJ
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Spider S4

Thanks for the good wishes Guys...

Re-plumbing the bath has gone like a dream

The taps had exactly the same length tails as the old ones... and the waste all went together (with plenty of silicone) and even fitted to the old trap without a problem....

But I shall be keeping an 'eagle eye' on it for a those tell tale drips...

So it's just the decorating/new floor/light fittings etc to do now

[Oh... and on the subject of plumbing.... what idiot invented Gate Valves... I had to replace both of them before I started the job because they had both seized as a result of the hard water around here. I saw some ball 22mm ball valves in the plumbers merchants but they were £10 each.... and I'm not paying that ]
AO Platinum Member

Alfa Lincs will be more with it than I without a doubt. Still, I replaced a couple of those spherical isolater valves that had seized,bought from a recently opened plumbing supplies, that had some 'quality' ones which I hope will be longer lasting?: They have certainly remained free so far.: They were less than ten quid though.:
AO Platinum Member

Oh! also fitted the 'Aquadial' cartridge, for the combi, and the electronic 'Aquadial' water conditioner,which, eight years on seems to have halted the hard scale buildup in pipes and fittings. Had a new heat exchanger about two years ago,(pinhole leak) and when I cut it open, there was no scale inside whatsoever.:
AlfaLincs

"Oh! also fitted the 'Aquadial' cartridge, for the combi, and the electronic 'Aquadial' water conditioner,which, eight years on seems to have halted the hard scale buildup in pipes and fittings"

Oi!! Doing me out of business....less of it or I'l send 'Leaky Eric' round to sort yer out.

Just to give you all comfort I made a complete codds up of repairing my own shower yesterday..and I still can't quite figure out why the thermostatic cartridge wont turn off...so its on to the MIRA technical help line tomorrow.(yes I have the written destructions to help me..but no good)

AlfaLincs

note: Leaky Eric is a real person...can't call him a plumber...who works for a local builders/kitchen fitters. His work is so bad even indifferent local plumbers are embarrassed by it. I've had to fix gas pipes that he has left completely unsupported...and he's not even registered to touch gas pipes. He needs shooting really (I don't really mean that by the way..but he should be put out to grass)

AO Platinum Member

Sorry AL My son-in-law did his apprenticeship with BG years ago now, so blame him for the advice: He told me though, he was not trained on any of the more modern stuff, so lets me bowl along in my own sweet way.

Saw an example of a 'Leaky Erics' type work fairly recently,and was amazed that the service? given to the customer was rated at £80 labour charge p.h.: So I reckon you have plenty of rectification work in the offing AL, so not to worry too much.:
AO Member

Member car:

155 2.0TS 16V

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaGJ View Post
Thanks for the good wishes Guys...

Re-plumbing the bath has gone like a dream

The taps had exactly the same length tails as the old ones... and the waste all went together (with plenty of silicone) and even fitted to the old trap without a problem....

But I shall be keeping an 'eagle eye' on it for a those tell tale drips...

So it's just the decorating/new floor/light fittings etc to do now

[Oh... and on the subject of plumbing.... what idiot invented Gate Valves... I had to replace both of them before I started the job because they had both seized as a result of the hard water around here. I saw some ball 22mm ball valves in the plumbers merchants but they were £10 each.... and I'm not paying that ]
The trick with valves is not to open them fully, so when you need to close them you can turn them both ways to free them.
(Post Link) post #18 of 18 Old 10-07-07 Thread Starter
GJ
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Spider S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes Only View Post
The trick with valves is not to open them fully, so when you need to close them you can turn them both ways to free them.
I always do that... open fully then turn them back a half. But gate valves have a thread to drive the gate across the flow... and the thread is exposed to the water flow. Hot water deposits scale in the thread and the blasted thing seizes. I usually try to remember to open and shut them every few months... but I guess I got lazy

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page