eBay ripoff - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 26-06-07 Thread Starter

eBay ripoff

I bought a bunch of motoring mags. from an eBay user recently and ( at his request ) paid by a personal cheque. The stuff never arrived.
Despite my having to pay him an extra 3.00 for insurance in transit, he now refuses to make a claim since he states that " I Can't provide proof that the goods never arrived " ! eBay aren't being very helpful since they say I should have used PayPal. Does anyone know how I can get eBay off it's a--e to help me more, or any other steps I can take ? The transaction was wholly UK based.
SLB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire
Re: eBay ripoff

Contact the bank and see if the cheque can be cancelled. This can often be done even after the cheque has 'cleared'.
AO Silver Member

County: Antrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve lyden brown View Post
I bought a bunch of motoring mags. from an eBay user recently and ( at his request ) paid by a personal cheque. The stuff never arrived.
Despite my having to pay him an extra 3.00 for insurance in transit, he now refuses to make a claim since he states that " I Can't provide proof that the goods never arrived " ! eBay aren't being very helpful since they say I should have used PayPal. Does anyone know how I can get eBay off it's a--e to help me more, or any other steps I can take ? The transaction was wholly UK based.
SLB
I would have thought insured goods would have to be signed for. I would ask him for the tracking number of the package and who it was sent by, ie Royal Mail or other delivery company. If he can't give you a tracking number then I doubt he paid for insurance.

The least he could do is tell you which delivery company he sent the package by, date it was posted and from which post office/depot. That way you can check with the carrier and lodge a missing package claim.
AO Silver Member

County: Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve lyden brown View Post
Despite my having to pay him an extra £3.00 for insurance in transit, he now refuses to make a claim since he states that " I Can't provide proof that the goods never arrived " ! eBay aren't being very helpful since they say I should have used PayPal. Does anyone know how I can get eBay off it's a--e to help me more, or any other steps I can take ? The transaction was wholly UK based.
SLB
You're not having much luck with ebay really, given that you've mentioned the exact same situation over on PistonHeads, except with CDs and a 'she' vendor rather than 'he'....

Link to thread on PH
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieboy View Post
You're not having much luck with ebay really, given that you've mentioned the exact same situation over on PistonHeads, except with CDs and a 'she' vendor rather than 'he'....

Link to thread on PH
That certainly deserves an explanation - well spotted JB
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

156 '01 2.4 JTD

I'd find out where he lives and take a drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieboy View Post

Link to thread on PH

Whoops !
AO Member

Member car:

That↑↑↑

Distinctive odour of Rattus rattus when I opened this thread!! I'm sure there's a completely valid explanation............
VO2Max

What a git! As Big Jon says, if the guy charged you for insurance, he should be able to prove to you that it was delivered (tracking nos., signatures etc) and of course he can't, because it wasn't delivered!

What's his previous feedback like?

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

If you can prove you paid for the goods, it is up to him to prove that they have been delivered. As said above contact your bank, to get proof you paid for the items.
Then go through ebays item not recieved/not as described process, you should be able to get your money back as part of the process means he will have to prove they are delivered.

I had this a while ago, I sent for a car stereo, and after 1 month it hadn't arrived so I went through this process and the item quickly arrived..

Good luck.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170)
mikebrown

i smell a rat.....

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

I've got the same trouble . Bought a printer on Ebay, paid with Paypal expected to be covered if there was a problem.

No printer, and absolutely no help from Ebay or Paypal. Totally washed their hands of it as the amount paid was outside the cover given on purchases.

Seller tells me he has proof of postage so tough **** basically
AO Member

I had this trouble when I bought a Jan Hammer CD - ok it was only £2 delivered but I was very excited, which then led to great disappointment. I've yet to get a replacement after 2 years
mikebrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by puntomatt View Post
I had this trouble when I bought a Jan Hammer CD - ok it was only 2 delivered but I was very excited, which then led to great disappointment. I've yet to get a replacement after 2 years
Jan Hammer....ouch !!....

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puntomatt View Post
I had this trouble when I bought a Jan Hammer CD - ok it was only 2 delivered but I was very excited, which then led to great disappointment. I've yet to get a replacement after 2 years
Wow! Makes mine purely trivial. How did you cope?????

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page