Seat Belts - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 20-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

ST170

Seat Belts

I thought this was a thing of the past,

Crawling on the Motorway this morning, I noticed the two blokes in the builders van in front, both put their seatbelts on at the same time, and as expected, further on the police had someone pulled over on the hard shoulder.

Then just past the police and again at the same time, they both took their belts off, why?, does anybody nowadays still believe wearing seatbelts should be optional?

I can still remember (just about) when you didn't have to wear a seatbelt, and that thick phase I went through when it wasn't cool to wear a belt, (didn't last long), but now I instinctively put it on when I get in the car, to the point where I sometimes find myself wearing it to drive 30 metres across the yard at work to fill with diesel.

Not really a rant, as I'm not likely to get stressed over whether other people don't mind flying through their windscreen or not. I just thought it was a very old fashioned attitude.

yes? / no?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Re: Seat Belts

I feel uneasy if I don't have mine on even when driving down our drive !!

There's no way I could go out onto the road whilst not wearing it !!

Plus the fact that the fecking chime that goes off if I'm not wearing it would drive me nuts !!

Nev

Many many people still do it here.

And I admit I don't belt-up in the back.
Which is why I always drive or shout
shotgun first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad View Post
Plus the fact that the fecking chime that goes off if I'm not wearing it would drive me nuts !!
You can disable this every time, or ask the dealer
to do it permanently. Mine is quiet as a mouse now.

AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Bristol

My Dad had seat belts fitted to his cars since the mid 60's. So I've always worn them and wouldn't dream of not doing so.

When I joined Alfa's in '76, our deputy chairman, Dr Tassan, had an accident on the North Circular in which he went through a laminated screen. Needless to say it substantially altered his appearance. He was very lucky though to have survived.

I too am surprised that these days we get people not wearing them. But we don't get bombarded with infomercials on the subject anymore so perhaps people have taken their eye off it.

bazza is nomes and my love child

My Flickr address: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gibboleica/

My website: http://www.lawrencedavidphotography.co.uk/
Ant
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 92

Member car:

2014 Honda CR-V

It's their choice to become Superman for an instant and fly thru whatever is in front of them...

Natural selection, after all...
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
...And I admit I don't belt-up in the back.
why not, boss? You are not immune from the law of physics in the back of the car. I insist that peeps buckle up in all seats in any car that I'm either the driver or front seat passenger of. Not just to protect their safety, but mine, too. If we crash, i don't fancy being pulverised by a rear seat passenger who's 'too kool to buckle up' in the back of the car.

There's nowt kool about having your nose slammed down the back of your throat so that your teeth stick of your ears.

g

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.
Ant
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 92

Member car:

2014 Honda CR-V

g, you are right. The rear passenger, if not buckled up, can kill you on a head-on collision.

It's like when people with toddlers or babies carry them in their arms, and if aswek why they don't use a child seat, they say that they'll "hold them" in case of an accident. A recipe for disaster.
AO Silver Member

County: North Lanarkshire
Garage

I still regularly see cars crammed with young lads, and yes, the occasional loose kiddy in a people carrier, whizzing along the M8 unrestrained in both the back and front of cars. Accidents waiting to happen. . .and wouldn't be a pretty sight when it does.

Edit: Also, what about big dogs etc? When they are faffing about on the back sill or seat, they'd cause just as much hurt to the driver in a collision!
AO Member

I got pulled over once because I was carrying my cat on the parcel shelf of my 147... Thing is, he won't go in a cage without chucking a complete fit - which won't stop till he is let out!!, when I put him on the floor I think it is the noise that makes him very unsettled and when I put him on the seat, I risk him clawing it or releasing his bowels . It's a 1.5 hour trip to our weekend flat so it's no simple task transporting him. Anyway, the policewoman told me to take him off the parcel shelf as it would apparently 'pose a hazard in the event of sudden braking' (even though the three headrests were in the way..?) Got plenty of looks when I did carry him there though.

AO Member

i always wear my seatbelt, just a natural instinct when i get into the car whether it be in the front or the back. i have been in quite a few crashes and beleive me the seatbelt is going to save you serious pain and injury regarless of what your arguement for not wearing it is (restricts my movement, crumples my dress, itll injure me if we have an accident, its not cool etc.)

having been to italy you can see that alot of ppl young and old dont wear their seatbelts even go so far as to wear tee shirts with pics on them of seatbelts, as theres a few italian ppl on here was wonderin do you wear yours?

2.0 TS, custom hand stitched leather and alacantra interior, custom SS system, H+R suspension upgrade
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

well this italian always buckles up :-)

g
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire

I would never never drive without my seatbelt, i keep nearly falling out the seat!

When i carry my dogs, my collies go in the boot, tethered to the headrest or cargo hooks by their leads and my sheltie sits on the front passenger seat, also teathered to the seat.
mudhut

It just "feels wrong" not to have that slight pressure at he shoulder. Can't get comfortable without it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page