Roundabouts - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 26 Old 16-06-07 Thread Starter

Madness Roundabouts

I absolutely, positively hate it when I'm sat at a roundabout and there is someone entering the roundabout from my right with no indicators so I presume they are going straight over, but then the feckers decide to swing left without indicating, leaving me sat there like an absolute **** waiting for a car that aint even coming!!!!!

THATS WHAT INDICATORS ARE FOR YOU USELESS FECKERS!!!!!
LEARN HOW TO DRIVE PROPERLY!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mark Alfa

Re: Roundabouts

Your not alone on that one.

AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Tried the Magic in Hemel Hempstead? A roundabout, to enjoy?
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire

Someone snashed into the back of a Mondeo I used to have when I was waiting as you describe. If the idle git in the Merc had indicated, I wouldn't have had my car bent.
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

MINI Cooper

Better to wait in my opinion in most cases on a roundabout, even if they are signalling.

Any signalling at roundabouts seems to be wrong about 50% of the time.

But be very sure if they are signalling, that they do actually intend turning left! Pulling in front of someone onto a roundabout and then trying to prove they were signalling left is not easy after an accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu ferret View Post
Tried the Magic in Hemel Hempstead? A roundabout, to enjoy?
Great fun I actually feel safer on that one than most other roundabouts. At least people are paying attention and looking for trouble.
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

MINI Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete McK View Post
Someone smashed into the back of a Mondeo I used to have when I was waiting as you describe. If the idle git in the Merc had indicated, I wouldn't have had my car bent.
Pete you were right to wait. In all cases you only enter a roundabout or junction if you are positive your way is clear.

People do not always signal - it's wrong and it's frustrating - it could be laziness or maybe the indicators self-cancelled without the driver noticing. It's a 'classic' mistake for someone to drive into the back of someone because they assume you are moving-off rather than waiting. I know it's happened to me twice. They are looking to their right, turning to the left without looking where they are actually going. It's completely their fault.

'A business absolutely devoted to service will have only one worry about profits. They will be embarrassingly large.' - Henry Ford.
mikebrown

always er on the side of caution...

AO Platinum Member

County: Gloucestershire

MAgic roundabout in swindon is a beauty.... well, a pain in the backside actually!
Nev

Try living somewhere where they don't
know how to approach, negotiate or exit
a roundabout. (i.e. here.)

They don't know which lane to be in on the approach,
they don't care which lane they're in going round
and they can't be bothered to look or signal.

Nightmare. You will get hit eventually.
It's just a matter of time.

AO Member

The view from my hotel room in Dubai looked directly at an ordinary 2-lane round-a-bout. I actually sat there watching it for quite some time, because the way people used it was f***ing hilarious! Firstly NOBODY and I mean NOBODY used the lanes designated for them nor did they pay any attention to lane exit rules. What made it dangerous was that despite not following the lane rules, they still drove 2-cars abreast and so you'd always be hearing the horn from someone having to brake suddenly when someone on the inside lane decides to exit. I also liked the way they "gave way" at a round-a-bout by stopping 1 WHOLE car length in front of the line, forcing cars in that lane to move into the inside lane so the pillock needn't wait any longer. Indicators: don't even bother. Oh and the icing on the cake would have to be the numerous drivers I saw who reversed back on a round-a-bout (with oncoming traffic!!!!!) because they missed the right exit.

Nev

Ha ha!

Not as good as watching some old duffer doing a
3-point-turn because he missed his turn.

"Hello! It's a roundabout !!!!"

N.B
AO Member

Member car:

1975 Spider

ARC De Triomphe, Paris....... Four lanes (Í think, no road markings.) Everyone indicating in every direction. Everyone crossing lanes Seemly at random. Give way to those entering (prorite a droite ).....Oh la la xxxx! excuse my french ! best to act like the natives and err on the side of caution. Steer with one hand, grit your teeth, half close your eyes and with the free hand alternate between long presses of the horn and making gestures. This with excessive use of accelerator and brake usualy ensures success !!! Oh and I forgot to mention the tourists that 'park' inorder to take in the view...
Nev

Dude,

Arc de Triomphe isn't a roundabout,
it's a traffic island.

Totally different beast!

I nearly got in a punch up today because
I was turning left at a roundabout and it
was blocked with traffic.

Some **** in a Hertz rental van was sounding his
horn behind and trying to force me onto the roundabout to
block it totally so he could gain 1 place in the line.

I laughed at the irate little Napoleon, who screeched it
out around me, just missing several other cars and then
he pulled back-in in front and blocked the whole
road for a good 30 seconds.

I couldn't stop laughing at the [email protected]

But when I made to get out of the car, he sped off

Last edited by Nev; 18-06-07 at 23:08.

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
Ha ha!

Not as good as watching some old duffer doing a
3-point-turn because he missed his turn.

"Hello! It's a roundabout !!!!"

Unfortunately, the I seem to remember mini-roundabouts where the lock on my 145 was so bad, I needed to do a 3 point turn over it to go right
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mave View Post
Unfortunately, the I seem to remember mini-roundabouts where the lock on my 145 was so bad, I needed to do a 3 point turn over it to go right
Handbrake or lift-off oversteer can be your friend
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

ST170

On a traffic controlled roundabout, to join the motorway this morning,
a car cut me up to get in my lane as he was in the wrong lane, it seemed genuine as he was moving from the slower lane just before it turns off, into my lane which goes on round to the on-slip, (the lanes are clearly marked, LISBURN, M1 etc), happens quite often, I didn't worry about it.

Then the double cab pick-up (towing a trailer) behind him tries the same, except he is right beside me, the lights turn red and he is stuck between lanes with me squeezed over to one side of my lane, we are side by side so I give him a WTF look, and he looks apologetic, the lights turn green and I wave at him to go ahead of me, (I'm currently trying to calm down my driving style, thought this would get me bonus points).
He drives on & I pray to ALFA that he remembers his trailer, he does (just about) and I drive off behind him.

THEN some :ieh: in the :ieh:'ing Megane behind him does exactly the same :ieh:'ing thing, but this time I have to brake/swerve into the next lane to avoid hitting her, I didn't even have time to hit the horn or anything, It was unbelievable.
They all made it through the next set of lights, but I didn't, (probably a good thing as the red mist was actually visible in the car at this stage),

I actually checked my mirrors to see if they had moved the lines overnight!!
I also lost my bonus 'remain clam' points on the motorway
AO Member

My ex was such a dodgy driver and hated roundabouts she would literally approach them with her eyes closed, put her foot down and hope for the best!

Scariest moments of my life. She only had a mini metro (which she managed to drive through the cones on a closed off lane of the M4 one time) and was a liability in that.

God - I'm feeling post traumatic just thinking about it!
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginalfa View Post
My ex was such a dodgy driver and hated roundabouts she would literally approach them with her eyes closed, put her foot down and hope for the best!

Scariest moments of my life. She only had a mini metro (which she managed to drive through the cones on a closed off lane of the M4 one time) and was a liability in that.
One of my mates wife is terrified of driving on her own, she once went out in the morning in the winter got round the corner and found a patch of ice on the road she stopped the car and rang him to come and get her off it, she was bawling her eyes out with fear.

I just don't get it. Mind you she has difficulty forcing herself to catch a bus somewhere just in case she got the wrong one or something went wrong, what do you call that?
AO Member

I call it 'nuts' Ghostydog - I believe that's a scientific term!

It's also quite common in women.... The number of exes I've had who suffer from it!

We do what we can but institutionalisation seems the best thing for it...
AO Silver Member

Government education film on Lady Drivers:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=39qdhbkTko4

AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Roundabouts, more like bl**dy Raceabouts. Need a Dodgem car with big fat bumpers, to crack a few necks.
AO Member

County: Queensland

I always thought it was indicate to exit, not enter. ie, if i hear 'take the third exit', then i will enter the roundabout, gving way to anybody on it - and only indicate when i get past all exits with mine next.

Perhaps it's an Australian thing.
The roundabouts over here are feral.. the one in front of the Wandsworth bridge is in fact a nightmare with deaths imminent, people (cars/bikes) just cross from the inside across traffic to exit whenever they want .
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozzybear210 View Post
I absolutely, positively hate it when I'm sat at a roundabout and there is someone entering the roundabout from my right with no indicators so I presume they are going straight over, but then the feckers decide to swing left without indicating, leaving me sat there like an absolute **** waiting for a car that aint even coming!!!!!

THATS WHAT INDICATORS ARE FOR YOU USELESS FECKERS!!!!!
LEARN HOW TO DRIVE PROPERLY!!!!!
Same thing happened to me at the weekend, which prompted me to raise both hands from the wheel gesturing palm up towards the roundabout whilst eye-balling the offending driver and mouthing some choice language. Which in turn lead to the offending TRAFFIC COP in his C Class patrol car to mouth a rarther sheepish apology before speeding off with his tail between his legs ........... Guess I'll get pulled next week for some minor traffic infringement.
AlfaLincs

Once upon a million years ago I had a German girl friend. She came over to see me and asked if I'd insure the car (ancient Peugeot 304) for her to go and see some friends in Pontefract (I was not very well so could not go with her).

I insured the car from 9.00 am on the Thursday. By 10.30 she had T- boned a brand new Mini Metro on the roundabout in the middle of Pontefract. It was a driving instructors car and it was his pride and joy, and he hadn't had an accident in 26 years of instructing.

Her explanation "I don't undertand English Roundabouts"..She cried a lot so I let her off..I was too ill to get mad anyway. I never let on that nobody else understands them either judging by what goes on on them....

AlfaLincs

I hate it at roundabouts when ignorant twits who can't wait for more than two seconds in a queue of traffic race past in the left hand lane only to then take the third exit on the roundabout - thereby cutting up the motorists who have waited in the correct right hand lane as they are turning right.
This happens on the A27/Devils Dyke sliproad in Brighton. It's a three exit roundabout with two lanes approaching it with one lane on the exits. Left hand lane for 1st exit or straight ahead and right hand lane for 3rd exit.
It really makes my blood boil!!!!!!
Also agree about the ar$eholes who don't know what their indicators are for.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Off Topic Section > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page