Born Again Bikers - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 24 Old 13-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0TS Veloce

Born Again Bikers

Apologies in advance if any of you are proper bikers - it's not you I'm ranting about.

The ones that really get me worked up are the Sunday Bikers, the ones who had a Fizzie in 1980 at the age of sixteen and have now rediscovered bikes in their thirties and forties.

Every weekend and many evenings (but only when the weather's not wet), hordes of these middle-aged Valentino Rossi wannabees (they never ride alone) ride through my village at 40-50 plus on their Ducatis or similar (guys, a Honda MB5 when you were a teenager does not mean you can handle a Fireblade now).

If you're out driving at the same time, they expect you always to pull to the side to let them past and they sit three inches from your tail till you do. I know bikers have a short stopping distance, but come on.

Apologies again if you are a proper biker or even a responsible born-again biker, but some of these idiots are as dangerous as a chav in a Saxo with his mates on a Saturday night!

And relax...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dibby

Re: Born Again Bikers

Better than a born again Christian though

Artboy

Unfair, very unfair, also how do you know they are born again bikers if they have helmet on??? Don't slag off bikers they have enough to deal with. If someone choses to get a bike in later life big deal. I think you maybe want a bike yourself dude........... i'd be jealous of anyone on a Ducati.....

Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

I am actually seriously* thinking to get a bike license and get myself a Harley

* that is, until the wife says no!
Dibby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artboy View Post
i'd be jealous of anyone on a Ducati.....
A lad here turned up on an MH900E - I know nothing about bikes but bare carbon-fibre fairings and chromed everything gave me the instant bike horn.

There's also a rogue Monster here, no-one knows who it belongs to but it looks like a bit of a raucous beast

(Post Link) post #6 of 24 Old 13-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0TS Veloce

Quote:
Unfair, very unfair, also how do you know they are born again bikers if they have helmet on??? Don't slag off bikers they have enough to deal with. If someone choses to get a bike in later life big deal. I think you maybe want a bike yourself dude........... i'd be jealous of anyone on a Ducati.....
Hey Artboy, I did apologise to proper bikers. I always think you can tell them by their obviously used-every-day leathers (and bikes) and the fact that they ride courteously. I always move over for those guys as - you're right - they do have enough to deal with. I just don't have time for six bikers in a group, racing each other at fifty through a village when a kid could run out after a ball any minute.
AO Member

Well since this is the rant room....

I am afraid the weekend warrior bikers do the biking community no favours using country lanes as a racetrack with race exhausts, (that i would guess would not pass a track noise test. There is strange logic there. )

And yes you can tell a muppet is a muppet with their helmet on. Its not their age / colour / sex / orientation / religion that is a problem, it's their attitude.

AO Gold Member

County: -

I think I read somewhere that the death rate amongst bikers in their 40s and 50s is almost as high as amongst teenagers. Sort of goes to prove your point icarlisle.
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

159 1.9.jtdm

If you lived next to the Aston or TVR factory would you still have a problem with exhaust noise?
How many times have you had a cigarette butt in the face at 60mph.
When was the last time you were waiting at trafic light and someone ran over you toes. There bad on both side car & bikes. now cyclists and horse riders theres another story ;-)
AlfaLincs

"I am actually seriously* thinking to get a bike license and get myself a Harley "

Don't get a Harley. They are badly made and crap to ride. I hate to say it, but go Japanese..you will be so much happier.

When I lived in Pateley Bridge we got lots of car/bike clubs passing through. Notable amongst them was the Honda Gold Wing International Festival based in Harrogate that year...I stopped counting after over 800 Gold Wings had thrummed their way up Greenhow Hill.

Fact: A biker kills themselves virtually every bank holiday between Pateley Bridge and Grassington..you just know it when you hear the sirens and see the ambucoptor.

If I get bikers coming up behind, I do try and move over to give them space to pass, as long as its safe. The majority give me a thankyou wave.

I love bikes, but have never been tempted to go back to them, and I worry like hell about my 55 year old brother on his Guzzi 650..which he adores.

AlfaLincs

AO Platinum Member

County: herts

My tuppence worth: Actually waited with baited breath, 'til the M1 opened to public traffic, 'bout 59'60' was it? Then did the Max on 'me 650 A10 BSA Super Rocket, mates on G9's,Goldies,Venoms', Constellations, Bonny's Etc. Etc. Thought we had it made, 'til The Black Brigade turned up on their Vincent 'Black Shadows', HRD's, Princes, and Knights.: Would I be returnin'? Not on yer' Nellie. Enough old dodderers out there, without me joinin' that pack of 'gerry' nutters!
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk

Relax - maybe there are a whole bunch of people who always wanted a bike but, for one reason or another, could never afford it. Now they are middle aged and finally have the money they are having fun even if their guts rest on the petrol tank.

So - what is a "proper biker" in your opinion icarlisle?

Paul
wrinx

Quote:
Very interesting, apply that perspective to the American discussion

Prejudice covers many aspects of life....

wrinx

AO Platinum Member

Maybe that's half the problem Paul R ? They sort of had two wheels of some description in the past, but without the c.c. graduation process?

I was a biker from '56 starting, Coventry Eagle 98cc, BSA Empire Star, 250cc, Triumph Tiger 90,350cc, AJS,350cc, Triumph T21, 350cc, Norton Dominator,500cc, Inter Norton 500cc,
BSA A7 Shooting Star 500cc, A10 650 Super Rocket, Triumph Thunder Bird 650cc,Triumph Tiger 100, 500cc, Tiger 110, 650cc, and a few more beside?: Still reckon there comes a calendar point for most folks, not all, when bikes, especially some of the modern day projectiles, are way beyond their physical and mental competences.

Still, if you fancy one, go for it, not for yours truly, thanks, with the over congested roads, and 'loonie's' with limited vehicle experience that use them.:

I started with bikes, then Tanks, Armoured Cars, HGV's, Buses, Etc.
so I suppose I am a reasonably experienced driver, but not a particularly good one, or one who thinks he is??:
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibby View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
I think I read somewhere that the death rate amongst bikers in their 40s and 50s is almost as high as amongst teenagers. Sort of goes to prove your point icarlisle.
Yup... the so called 'born again bikers' have the highest death rate amongst the biking fraternity !!

As ever there are good and bad elements in what ever we choose to do !!

On a weekly basis I see good riders - I wouldn't know if they were experienced or born agains - but the bad ones are starting to out number them !!

BTW... I had a MT50 and a LC125 in my teens, returned to biking in my twenties with a CBR6 and have now been bikeless for about 3 years !! If my current plan comes to fruition and I return to two wheels will I be classed as a 'born again'

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Nomes when I lay my vengeance upon you.
AO Bratpacker No1
D I L L I G A F
*Muppet Attack Mode Activated*
AO Platinum Member

No, you'll be OK Mr.Nomes I reckon, it's just the creaking fossilized ones like myself, that are likely to be the problem.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

I creak too Zed,, thanks to a certain Cortina driver who wiped me and the LC out one day !!
(Post Link) post #18 of 24 Old 14-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0TS Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu ferret View Post
Maybe that's half the problem Paul R ? They sort of had two wheels of some description in the past, but without the c.c. graduation process?
ZF, I think you just answered Paul's question about "proper" bikers for me.

Paul, seriously, I don't really have a problem with all BABs, just the ones who hunt in packs and insist on terrorising quiet villages with excessive noise and excessive speed (by which I mean inappropriate speed for the road conditions), putting kids and others in danger.

If somebody wants to buy a big bike when they've got a bit of money, no problem, but please have some consideration for other people's safety if not your own (and please lay off the sports exhausts!).

Ian
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

When was the last time you were waiting at trafic light and someone ran over you toes

LMFAO sorry not funny really,did you have a go at the driver?What did he/she say?....s******

I dont really mind bikers tbh if i see a bike comming up behind ill always pull over if i can 9 outa 10 give a thankyou wave.I must admit i miss my GSXR but too many of my friends have been killed on bikes,and with a wife and 2 kids...
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibby View Post
And much less dangerous than a born again Muslim....
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarlisle View Post
snip !
(and please lay off the sports exhausts!).

Ian
But one of the reasons for sport exhuasts on a bike is not power but to warn car drivers you are there... A Quiet bike is more dangerous to ride as people do not realise you are there when passing especially in traffic.
wrinx

Not worthy of comment

wrinx

wrinx

Mmm, Story....that wasn't aimed at you but a post which has been removed

wrinx

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1561