Motor Cyclists - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

alfafamily

Motor Cyclists

Could someone please explain to me why some bikers pull the clutch in and blip the throttle when they are coming to a stop. Also they seem to start their engines several minutes before they drive away and leave them running after they stop, usually accompanied by several throttle blips and rev ups. Is this necessary for the correct performance of their bikes, or their egos. Apologies to anyone who owns a bike that needs this but it does make the others look like nobs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Re: Motor Cyclists

I think some bikes need to be started to cool down.

Like turbo cars.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfafamily View Post
Could someone please explain to me why some bikers pull the clutch in and blip the throttle when they are coming to a stop. Also they seem to start their engines several minutes before they drive away and leave them running after they stop, usually accompanied by several throttle blips and rev ups. Is this necessary for the correct performance of their bikes, or their egos. Apologies to anyone who owns a bike that needs this but it does make the others look like nobs.
Well I've been a motorcyclist for 24 years and MY reason for doing this is in fear of stalling and having a great huge lump o metal run over me, to swiftly drive away from traffic moving behind... Common sense really.
mikebrown

egos in the main...but ive done it many times in my car....

AO Member

Member car:

GTV

Warm up before riding away is critical for some bikes. For example, Ducati 916 / 748's really need a good few minutes of idling before riding away due to the problems of valve rocker wear.

Blipping the throttle in traffic is also a very good way of letting motorist know you are there, particularly if filtering. And as Alfa-Alex says, many bikes run pretty lumpy at low speed and is easy to stall when crawling. Again, Ducatis (and quite a few other V-twins come to think of it) are a bit of a nightmare for this.
BlueEvo2

Quote:
Yeah, on a bike engine braking is a BIG factor - shift down without matching engine speed to road speed and you can lock up the rear wheel. It really is massively more important than in a car. The odd blip aftewards is probably just pyschological - with most bikes revving to over 12,000 rpm sitting at the lights with the needle at nearer 1,500 rpm sometimes feels like it's about to stall on you so you give it a blip just to be sure.

As to starting them up before riding off, many (but not all) bikes are carb-fed rather than fuel injection. Although this is changing with the latest tackle (i.e. seriously nice fuel injection systems and other niceties), it still follows that if you don't warm up before hand you can get a jerky throttle response - again this has massivley more effect on you when you're on a bike!

As to blipping when you've finished your ride, other than combatting heat-soak, yeah it probably is just to enjoy the sound of the bike one last time

Probably a bit all of the other times as well, but hey, if Alfa owners can appreciate those V6's on song, the odd blip on a nice bike surely is acceptable!

AO Member

Also to hear the engine (e.g. at traffic lights.) (not going to be looking at the rev counter all the time) lol. If a bike has a standard exhaust they can be very quiet when idling, that with wearing a helmet and other road noise i.e. traffic well......
alfafamily

Thanks for the info lads, I'll be more understanding and sympathetic in future. However the guy across the road from me seems to do it just for the noise I'm sure,it aint no Ducatti(i could suffer that) or a standard exhaust either,its rattling our windows on tick over from 40 yards away.Looking at the cars on his drive it won't be any cheap rubbish,so best give him the benefit of the doubt I suppose.

AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire

I carnt wait till i can get a 600cc bike. Honda CBRRR
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin dack View Post
I carnt wait till i can get a 600cc bike. Honda CBRRR

Excellent bikes! I've got the Honda CBR 954 RR2 can't fault them!
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk

Quote:
However the guy across the road from me seems to do it just for the noise I'm sure,it aint no Ducatti(i could suffer that) or a standard exhaust either,its rattling our windows on tick over from 40 yards away.
I know the feeling - the guy opposite me has a 1600cc V twin (sorry not a biker myself - despite appearances - so can't remember what it is). It is truly a work of art and as I was talking to him about it he said "hold your hand 2 metres away from the exhaust while I start up" - I did and the blast knocked my hand back - unbelievable. When you think about it each cylinder is almost the capacity of an original Mini engine.

Yes it shakes the windows in our house too.

Paul.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Best way to warm any engine up (including a car) is to give it a couple of blips from idle, just to get the oil flowing round and to generate a little heat.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page