Air Bl00dy France - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

mudhut

Madness Air Bl00dy France

Here I am writing this from an undisclosed location in the Land of the Rising Sun but it nearly didn't happen at all.

Planned to spend the whole of the school half term visiting my daughter here. Long way to go I know for a bare six days but what the hell, she's returning in September so last chance.

The plan:
Booked flight, Southampton to Tokyo via Paris with Air France. Depart Sat 26 May early morning, arrive Tokyo early Sunday. Travel north some 600km on Shinkansen (bullet train), arriving afternoon of Sunday - easy, done it before.

The trip:
Arrived at airport 5:30am, flight cancelled and stood in queue for nearly three hours to be told (one passenger at a time) the plane didn't arrive the night before due to bad weather, [gallic_shrug] "nothing we can do until tomorrow evening, monsieur"[/gallic_shrug]. So we go home in taxi having lost 36 hours. Following evening we set out again, get on flight and have to do an additional night in hotel at Narita Airport because the arrival time meant we missed the last Shinkansen for the day. Result another 12 hours lost plus a GBP100 or so hotel bill. So we arrive at our final destination midday Tuesday, leaving three whole days and a couple of bits.

P155ed off doesn't begin to describe it. Surely it was not beyond the wit of Air France to examine the bookings and derermine who had transfers to meet and prioritise the rebooking. After all they knew about the problem the night before. They could even have contacted us through the booking company.

Failing that, we could have been told about all this right at the beginning and made our own arrangements to get to Paris on a Flybe plane that took off (with unused space) only 30 mins after our sceduled Air France flight. If AF wouldn't pay, we could have. Alternatively we could have been booked onto a flight from Heathrow the same day - they wouldn't do that either or get us onto any plane as business class (even at our cost - although I'm not sure we'd have taken the offer).

No compensation can be paid as weather has been cited as the cause. May be able to recover something through insurance though.

It's just before midnight on Fri 1 June here. Travelling to Tokyo tomorrow around midday for round two, the return leg. Hope AF get it together this time. Wish us luck. [email protected] AF food BTW.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2 V6

Re: Air Bl00dy France

That sucks mate. Sorry to hear it. Hope you got to at least enjoy what you had with your daughter and maybe some quality sushi .
mudhut

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneman147 View Post
That sucks mate. Sorry to hear it. Hope you got to at least enjoy what you had with your daughter and maybe some quality sushi .
Thanks - food was great. Daughter wasn't bad either .

AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Sorry to hear about your woes
mikebrown

what kev said....

Nev

Bad luck.
It's always ****e when this happens.

Was it the flight to Paris that was
cancelled or out of Paris ?

BA are just as ****ing bad too.
They had everyone at the gate for a 9am flight to LHR
last year.
10 mins after boarding time they cancelled the flight.
We all had to get checked back out of security
and down to the check-in desk.

They had 2 people to help a planeful of people.

Had to call BA in the UK on my mobile to sort it out.
They couldn't get me to LHR for a 2pm connecting flight
to Miami.

Then had to wait 1 1/2 hours to get the luggage back.
Then go home and come back the next day.

Last edited by Nev; 03-06-07 at 21:36. Reason: Wrong smiley

mudhut

Home now, arrived two hours ago and now been up for 24 hours.

Thanks for the sympathy chaps. It does help!

Short delay on the Paris to Southampton leg but otherwise OK apart from airport security arrangemets - I feel another rant coming on . No about their existence mind, just the way they are all meant ot be singing from the same hymn sheet but in practice they don't: my wife took out some cigarette lighters - the disposable type. We knew they could not be in hand luggage to they were packed in the checked suitcases. No problem we were advised. Coming back from Japan, we had bought some more for pressies, duly packed as before but they weren't allowed on. Somebody has got this wrong (apart from us) but don't know who.

@Nev: the problem seems to be the tin pot airlines who are AF's associates. On the way out it was the Southampton to Paris flight that was cancelled and the same flight that was delayed on the way back. The long haul thing was efficiently handled, especially at the Japan end.

AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire

sory to hear of this. Theres always something that sucks every now and then.
Nev

At least you had a good hol! Japan

Must say I prefer AF on longhaul now.

Better inflight service, even in economy.
And the cabin crew are less (how shall I put it?) grim.

AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
And the cabin crew are less (how shall I put it?) grim.

What he said!!

In my experience AF are pretty good when things go well but totally [email protected] when things go wrong.

Although I have made a total of 400 quid out of them in busted suitcase compensation claims over the years
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Sorry to hear that mudhut. I do hope your trip to Japan makes up for the shoddy AirFrance service.
mudhut

I just love Japan and the Japanese BF.

One highlight: we were invited to visit a 91 year old woman in her home - something of an honour I understand. First time for us in a native Japanese person's house.

TBH Nev we've not tried any other carrier other than AF so nothing to compare with. The flight attendants are easy on the eye but do act a bit superior!

Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Nice one mate I do hope you took your shoes off before going in though
mudhut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
Nice one mate I do hope you took your shoes off before going in though
Oh yes.

AlfaLincs

You obviously flew on one of the days when the French Air Traffic controllers were not on strike.

You were not that unlucky then..but I sympathise, I honestly do.

I've only been delayed once, at Madrid airport shortly after ETA had blown someone up in the town. I was on a BEA Airtours Comet 4 full of students and the police at the airport were understandably jumpy, and insisted on double checking documents and faces (we all looked disreputable). We were put on the plane and kept on the sizzling tarmac for four hours. They could not even run the engines to keep us cool with the aircon, so the poor cabin staff ran themselves ragged keeping iced drinks coming. Once you are on the plane you are 'out of the country' and the captain had to negotiate the delivery of extra iced drinks with the airport authorities.

Once we took off it was the nicest quietest flight I have ever had. We were all so exhausted everyone just slept. Even the unkempt bloke (not me) with the guitar and a stuffed jackdaw on his shoulder (well it was 1973)

AlfaLincs

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page