People who block box junctions - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 32 Old 01-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Not Happy People who block box junctions

On my way home from work I come to a set of traffic lights by the junction of the A483. There are two lanes here, one of which is for turning onto the A483 to head towards Chester. Traffic coming off here to head towards Ruthin are also controlled by the same set of traffic lights, and there is a box junction at this point. People leaving the A483 often ignore the box junction markings, and then get stuck, completely blocking both lanes, preventing traffic from moving, and adding at least a couple of minutes to my journey home.

Why don't we hang these criminals

In every step, I hear your sobbing
Dare I break the shade with one caress
Dare I trespass to lift the veil
To touch the lips so soft and frail

It may be that love comes once and once only, preceded by rehersal, followed by regret.

Know well that however right a man may be they always find the fallen one guilty.

All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Durham

Member car:

Re: People who block box junctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slegg View Post

Or just write down thier numberplates and post the details of the offence/bad driving on here

http://www.betterdrivingplease.com/Reports.asp

AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6

I hear you Gary, it winds me up no end as well.

I particularly like the ability of these idiots to stare intently at the rear of the car in front and not even acknowlege their mistake or apologise for it.

I did read that they're starting to use cameras to issue fixed penalties for this, although I'm torn on whether that's a good thing or not.
Dibby

It's typical of how driving standards have been falling over the last few years, people don't look ahead any more and end up trapped in a box junction. People are far too wound up in their own little worlds to look about them.

Quote:
Hang them, draw and quarter them, burn their entrails and hang them from every lampost at every box junction to warn others who do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0ted View Post

I did read that they're starting to use cameras to issue fixed penalties for this, although I'm torn on whether that's a good thing or not.
Good thing. This is one use for cameras which I approve of. Goodness knows the level of congestion caused by Box Junction trespassers.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2 V6

Or just write down thier numberplates and post the details of the offence/bad driving on here

I agree that there are loads of annoying things that drivers do out there but isn't there enough of this nanny state crap?

I think that basically there are just too many drivers out there that are clueless thus it should start with licencing. The tests should be a lot more difficult and one should have to take a re-test every 5 years.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

I don't know that box junction cameras could work properly. How can they judge whether the stationary car is waiting for a gap in oncoming traffic in order to turn right? (in which case they're perfectly entitled to be there)
(Post Link) post #8 of 32 Old 01-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Well, you can only move into a box junction if you're turning right and the way ahead is clear...
(Post Link) post #9 of 32 Old 01-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.orange View Post

Cheers, I think I will do

The rule is clear and simple: You may ONLY enter the Box Junction if your exit road is clear.

So if you can't get out, don't go in!
Nev

I think driving standards can be directly linked
to public service announcement style adverts.

There used to be tonnes on TV in the 70s:
Driving was okay.

Now there are hardly any: driving is getting worse.

They never had such ads in France: Driving is appalling!

QED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
I think driving standards can be directly linked
to public service announcement style adverts.

There used to be tonnes on TV in the 70s:
Driving was okay.

Now there are hardly any: driving is getting worse.

They never had such ads in France: Driving is appalling!

QED

Yer right, Nev. I took that quoteon Box Junctions directly from one of those Public Service broadcasts. I've never forgotten it. mind you It took me years to figure it out?

It's a good point you make though. They're now criticised for being a bit "nannie" but many were very good and funny. As I said you tend to remember both the film AND the message.

Two spring to mind (you'll laugh!):

Nice round 'ere Petunia (fat bird and wee bloke on beach wearing hankie on head) - Coastguard warning!

Charlie the cat - "Charlie says..........

I feel a list post coming on.....see if you can remember any more.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
Well, you can only move into a box junction if you're turning right and the way ahead is clear...
But if there is oncoming traffic then it is perfectly acceptable to enter the box junction and come to a halt in it.
As you (and Will) say, the exit road needs to be clear, but that doesn't mean that you can definitely get at it.
Extract from highway code:
However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right.
(Post Link) post #14 of 32 Old 01-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

It's weird how people moan about the nanny state - until either someone obstructs theur journey home, drops litter in their garden, smokes on their bus etc etc...
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
The rule is clear and simple: You may ONLY enter the Box Junction if your exit road is clear.
Correct

Quote:

So if you can't get out, don't go in!
Incorrect. See my other post.
(Post Link) post #16 of 32 Old 01-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
But if there is oncoming traffic then it is perfectly acceptable to enter the box junction and come to a halt in it.
As you (and Will) say, the exit road needs to be clear, but that doesn't mean that you can definitely get at it.
Extract from highway code:
However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right.
Yes, but then a camera would be able to tell whether the way ahead was clear, and thus whether an offence was committed
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire

Quote:
Correct

I agree with bazza, you guys need to sort your highway code out. My first post in this thread

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/rant-...etiquette.html

Clearly states you can enter and WAIT in the box junction if you are turning right.

Read up bad boys
(Post Link) post #18 of 32 Old 01-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
No, Will's correct on both accounts. If you are turning right and are delayed by oncoming traffic the oncoming traffic will stop when the lights change to red, allowing you to move off (if the way ahead is clear, before the traffic to the left receives a green light to move on. Thus avoiding an obstruction...
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
Yes, but then a camera would be able to tell whether the way ahead was clear, and thus whether an offence was committed
Do you think so?
I'm not sure the camera systems are sophisticated enough to decide whether there is oncoming traffic or not.
What if the oncoming vehicle is a long way away, but coming at high speed, or the person in the box junction is a new driver and hesitant so waits when a gap was maybe big enough?
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
No, Will's correct on both accounts. If you are turning right and are delayed by oncoming traffic the oncoming traffic will stop when the lights change to red, allowing you to move off (if the way ahead is clear, before the traffic to the left receives a green light to move on. Thus avoiding an obstruction...
We're arguing semantics here, but I still think his second statement is incorrect.
"if you can't get out, don't go in".
At the moment of entering, in that situation, you can't get out, but you are still allowed to go in.
(Post Link) post #21 of 32 Old 01-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
We're arguing semantics here, but I still think his second statement is incorrect.
At the moment of entering, in that situation, you can't get out, but you are still allowed to go in.
I guess it depends on whether "if you can't get out" means your way ahead is blocked...
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 25
County: Shropshire

I complained to the council about the new light timings on a main roundabout at Telford.

Essentially we have the same problem every night at rush hour because people ignore the box junction and then block access for people at the next set of lights. I have no problem stopping at the lights on the basis that I can't enter the box junction but this causes my blood to boil on two counts;

1) Idiots behind who can't appreciate why I am stationary with a green light!
2) The idiots in front who've blocked the box junction because they jumped their light and can't then get out of it!

I suggested to the council it was because their traffic light timings were [email protected] (which they are for this time of day because the lights allow more traffic to pass through than there is space for on the other side!) but they blame poor driving standards.

Fair enough, the idiots doing the 'blocking' don't know their highway code/don't care but the traffic system exacerbates the problem.

Last week in a different location my route forward was blocked by a chap who'd made an error in judgement thinking the traffic would keep moving enough to let him pass through the box. In the end he was parking across the front of me and shrugged. I pointed to the box junction and he then reversed. I was quite pleased he didn't just get out of the car and chin me. At least he knew he was in the wrong, which is something at least.

Rant over. Phew.

Going home now. Early on a friday so I don't have the problem with the junction mentioned above.

60% of the time it works everytime.
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

MINI Cooper

I regularly use a box junction from a 'T' junction to a town-centre A-road which is always filled with stop-start traffic during the day.
The main purpose of the T-junction is as a feeder road from a car park. It's also a no-through road with no other route to exit from. About 200 yards to the right there is a further box junction which works well, however the timing of both sets of traffic lights appears to mean that there is no chance of a clear exit in which to turn right. There is no problem of oncoming traffic as it's a T-junction.

I regularly have the problem of waiting to turn right into the main road with traffic queuing behind. Because of continuous slow traffic moving traffic the lights can change a number of times without the chance of joining the main road. Irate motorist behind, (including one instance with a taxi who became abusive) mean I now have to weigh-up between being lawful or turning right into the box knowing I might be blocking traffic if the road does not clear in time. A stupid set of traffic conditions and traffic light timing.

'A business absolutely devoted to service will have only one worry about profits. They will be embarrassingly large.' - Henry Ford.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
And what if you entered the box junction to turn right, and there was space for you to do so, but then the oncoming traffic turns left and fills up the available space.
You've done nothing wrong, but when the lights turn red, to the instant photo taken by the camera, it looks like you entered with a blocked exit (which sounds painful)
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2 V6

Quote:
It's weird how people moan about the nanny state - until either someone obstructs theur journey home, drops litter in their garden, smokes on their bus etc etc...
Really, I've had these things happen to me - and more - many times and to be honest when they happen I really don't get that fussed about it. I just can't put the energy out for people that don't deserve it.

If things are done right the first time (e.g. educating drivers and making it tougher to get a licence) we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page