F1 Fecking Crap. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 29 Old 29-05-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Madness F1 Fecking Crap.

Monaco was crap. What has happened to kimi's so called charge. Bring back Turbo's/Manual gearboxes/fat slick tyres, then we will see some racing and god forbid it some overtaking.Bernie eccolstone/Max mosley both want sacking the sport has become so tame it's untrue. This is the pinnacle of motorsport where drivers race on the very edge (or are supposed to). So come on and give the viewing puplic a spectacle to be hold, it's dangerous i know, but you are gladiators of your sport.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: F1 Fecking Crap.

Too much money involved. Used to really br into F1 can't really be bothered now.

F1 is now all emperor's new clothes. There is virtually no racing whatsover and the spectacle consists of:-

Looking at highly complex and exotic pieces of automotive engineering
Listening to screaming engines
Going to sleep two seconds after the start 'til 2 seconds before the finish
Ogling at the pit-chics
reading articles about the Monaco lifestyles of "The rich and famous" drivers.

It's nothing like the thing I grew up with, real racing heros like Stewart, Clark, Fittipaldi, Lauda and Peterson.
AO Gold Member

County: South Africa
Garage

Member car:

Mito QV

Loved F1, but no more.
The wifes still into it.
But as you said Will, I check out the first lap, if I see the pitstops and the the end, podium and interviews.
AO Member

County: Suffolk

Monaco is the worst race on the calendar any way. What's the point of a circuit where overtaking is nearly impossible? The glamour might be great if you're actually there but as a spectacle on TV it's rubbish.
If it was proposed as a race track today it wouldn't stand a prayer.

However, my interest has been rekindled somewhat this season with the emergence of young Lewis. It would be fantastic if he beat Alonso for the title.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2 V6

yup, start, maybe a few laps in the middle and the end. VERY lame. Even worse is that Hamilton was most likely the better driver but the team told him to lay off. Ohhhh don't want any passing, might be DANGEROUS.

And Kimi? Perhaps all the probs with his car at MMerc really were down to him. That much bad luck can't be all down to the car. I just don't think he has what it takes to bring him past being 'the fastest driver' on the track to a winner. Still a long season though so we shall see.
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

ST170

I'm starting to hate the Monaco GP, completely pointless with todays cars, maybe they should make it a time trial event or take it out of the championship as some sort of stand-alone/charity event or something.

Or maybe since all the overtaking happens in the pits, reduced capacity fuel tanks with only enough fuel for 5 laps
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

I used to love F1. Can't be bothered with it now.
AO Silver Member

County: Staffordshire

Member car:

Merc S320

It needs something to revitalise it as races with no "racing" is a sure fire way to turn people off.
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Smaller cars perhaps? Sounds idiotic but may actually work a little better.
Ant
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 92

Member car:

2014 Honda CR-V

No driver assits...
AO Member

Member car:

Ford Mundano

Too many team orders are spoiling the racing, nobody will overtake if they know they can do it in the pits.
AO Silver Member

County: Staffordshire

Member car:

Merc S320

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
Smaller cars perhaps? Sounds idiotic but may actually work a little better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
No driver assits...
Agree with both of you. F1 needs to retain the "cutting edge" image in terms of engine/drivetrain technology but at the end of the day it is a race and the driver shouldn't have an array of technical wizardry behind him to minimise the chance of error. Bring back wheelspin and power slides.
AO Silver Member

County: -

It's been said before but don't judge it on Monaco.
It's a glamorous event that is watchable for me but won or lost in qualifying.
Make sure you watch Spa, Canada, and Monza if you like overtaking.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Kimi is crap. Ferrari should have bagged Alonso. Watch this space - Schui will be back
AO Silver Member

Do you think the fact that Schui is back has anything to do with Kimi's loss of form?
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodger View Post
Do you think the fact that Schui is back has anything to do with Kimi's loss of form?

Kimi's not had form for several years IMHO. He's been quick at times but never form!

I'd love to see the Schumiester back in the car
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

I think Kimi's problem is that he doesn't listen and learn from Micheal Schumacher's advice, where Massa does. Thinking ou cannot learn from Schumi is a bit like thinking you know everything already.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
I think Kimi's problem is that he doesn't listen and learn from Micheal Schumacher's advice, where Massa does. Thinking ou cannot learn from Schumi is a bit like thinking you know everything already.
Don't agree here because he's been exhibiting inconsistent form for several years now. He never seems to be able to take things that extra step. From what I've seen he seems to get into short spans of great driving then loses it with some really stupo mistake like the one in qualies at Monoco this year. I get the feeling that F1 is not the most important thing in his life and he really isn't too bothered whether he wins or loses.
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

I agree with you boneman.

It's hard to keep "bothered" when one makes so much money. Even more respect to Alonso for keeping it together despite being probably as rich as one possibly needs to be in order to have a nice life.
AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire

Kimi it seems isn't all he is cracked up to be. Mega fast yes, consistent no, therefore will be ever win a WC? Who knows. How ironic is it that just as he moves from Macca to Ferrari, Macca suddenly are fast and reliable. The McLarens were always fast when Kimi was there but always breaking down. He moves to Ferrari and still it isn't going his way and to be honest I don't think he has the stomach to pull it back on track - MS he is not.

With regard to F1 being crap, I do now find myself tuning in for the start and then half watching the rest but still rad about the subject and check the websites everyday and I do think LH has been great for the sport this season. Was it Peter Wolf who said in the F1 2007 thread that F1 needs to get rid of the dead wood drivers and get the younger, hungrier ones in? I agree if they are similar to LH.

Previous: Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 SXi -147 1.6 TS Lusso - 156 1.8 TS - 159 2.4 JTDm Lusso SW - 159 1.9 JTDm Lusso saloon - 159 1.9 JTDm Lusso SW - 159 2.0 JTDm Ti SW - VW Golf TDi - Fiat Bravo Multijet Sport - Volvo V70 2.4D SE Lux - Fiat Punto Evo 1.4 GP - Skoda Superb 2.0D DSG L&K Estate - Now: 159 2.0 JTDm Ti SW & Giulietta 1.4 MA QV-Line

Kimi Raikonnen's reliability record reminds me of Johnny Herberts. Both quick drivers who had appaling 'luck' with their machinery.

They both had speed but I do believe their racecraft is lacking, e.g. an ability to operate and push within the limits their machinery can take. The greatest drivers have a sense of mechanical sympathy, a sixth sense to nurse their cars when required.

Raikonnen hasn't got this ability. As a result he will make mistakes, he will thrash the car, all he cares about is outright speed. His very strength is his greatest weakness. And he is so stubbornly confident of his own abilities/arrogant that he will not take advice onboard - Especially from someone he so nearly beat back in 2003.
AlfaLincs

I thought that Hamilton and Alonso's final qualifying laps at Monaco were electrifying. To achieve those speeds round town with barriers is quite incredible, but as other have said, the race there is all about your qualifying position.

There's a bit of a double standard going on here. Its heavily rumoured that M. Schumachers Number 2 at Ferrari had it written into his contract that he could not overtake MS..not that many got close anyway. Ron Dennis has played much fairer and said no team orders until one has a clear chance of the championship. I am sure Hamilton was only told to back off at Monaco to avoid a situation where neither car finished...out racing and blowing up, or hitting barriers..or hitting each other. Alonso deserved the win.

I agree that there are too many Journeymen and not enough hungrymen in F1. Love him or hate him MS made a car go faster than it was supposed to go. We need a few more who look as though they are trying to do that as well.

I have to say the McLarens look pretty mighty at present, but then I have always liked the Team from Day one with Bruce Mclaren and Denny Hulme. The cars have always been beautifully built and turned out and a team that has...as far as its possible in F1...played fair. Not something you can say of the Italians all the time

AlfaLincs

AO Silver Member

I believe that we will see the Ferraris have a bit of an edge on the faster circuits (Monza, Canada, etc.) with the McLarens doing better on the slower ones (Hungary, Monaco, Suzuka etc.)
It might be that the McLaren drivers can press their skill advantage more on the twistier tracks or something about the cars.
This is just a vague opinion. This isn't based on any facts, just the form so far so fair enough if they all have the same power, cornering Gs etc.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneman147 View Post

And Kimi? Perhaps all the probs with his car at MMerc really were down to him. That much bad luck can't be all down to the car. I just don't think he has what it takes to bring him past being 'the fastest driver' on the track to a winner. Still a long season though so we shall see.
It's an opinion I've held for a while .....

He has no mechanical sympathy with a car - yes the MMercs last year and for several before were not reliable as they might have been but kimi certainly didn't help - compare his finishes with DC's...

Oh and now it's the same at ferrari - strnage thing really - you ne to be in it to win it ... kimi spent so much time out of it he stood no chance...

SImes

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page