Speeding in Cumbria - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 24 Old 26-05-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Jaguar XF3.0DS

Speeding in Cumbria

After 15yrs/300k miles it was bound to happen but 46mph on a 40 limit trunk road at 10am on a sunny sunday morning - ARSE !!!

It's not even one I can boast about !

Happy to cough to it and take the fine but does anyone know if the Cumbria Safety Partnershaft run a Driver Awareness Programme to avoid me copping for the 3pts as well ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

wrinx

Re: Speeding in Cumbria

Very unlucky to be done at that speed, they must have been right on the recommended margin

wrinx

AO Member

County: Hampshire

was it a mobile laser type hidden away its so sneaky I got gatso'd last Oct 3 points and fine sorry to hear your bad news like you say it a numbers game sooner or later we all get done just i lose some i gain some

Last edited by TeamAlfa; 27-05-07 at 09:15.
(Post Link) post #4 of 24 Old 26-05-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Jaguar XF3.0DS

Was on A65 between M6 & Kirby Lonsdale - camera van parked on verge of opposite carriageway which I assumed (obviously wrongly) was after head on shot of vehicles coming the other way. With hindsight was probably after bikers from the back and got me.

As I said given the speeds I have done and got away with I'm happy to take this one but if they do run a Speed Awareness Course I'd happily have another day 'up north' to avoid the points.

Really annoying thing is that less than ½ a mile before we'd been passed by a chav in a Nova on double white lines - would really p155 me off if he didn't get done - so much for safety cameras !!

Last edited by k3lvc; 26-05-07 at 18:56. Reason: smelling
VO2Max

Bad luck chap! It's the old sledgehammer to crack a nut (and easy money-generation) thing, doing 46 in those conditions as described is hardly dangerous is it? Annoyingly, on my 30 mile drive to work, I'll see at least 2 wilfully dangerous events take place, tailgating, cutting-up, incorrect use (or unuse) of indicators, incorrect RAB procedure, bad lane discipline, indiscriminate weaving, you name it! That (and extreme speeding) is the stuff that causes accidents. The police have unmarked cars and video cameras on board, why on earth can't we have a bit more of these perpetrators being done with a bit of discretion?

AO Member

County: Hampshire

V02Max right on it's always us law abideing citizens that get done, I live on a road with a railway commuter cut one side and houses on the other it is a dangerous road as people tend to feel safe on a straight long stretch and we get speeders its a 30 mph zone but the problem is instead of speed bumps being commissioned (we did have speed chicanes but they caused more accidents and road rage so were ripped out) occasionally we get a hand held laser wielding officer and its so easy to be around the 35 to 38MPH mark enough to get booked I find this an intrusion as a resident of the road. It also doesn't stop the problem just a temporary measure until said officer needs to get away from rain or it's lunch break time. Speed cushions would resolve the issue and reduce / deter traffic as we would have less people prepared to meander through.....

TEAMALFA
Missing my 166 3.0 Lusso Sportronic
Seeking 159 2.4 Lusso ready for F1 remap
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

156GTA & 33racer

It's all just so hit and miss, you would think that with the general combined intelegence of the world there would be a better solution - although I imagine that would probably get in the way of the money earning required by councils and the government.
(Post Link) post #8 of 24 Old 27-05-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Jaguar XF3.0DS

Having spent some time on Pepipoo (www.pepipoo.com) there's some great advice and it appears that fighting against Cumbria's Speed Partnersh1t is probably not worthwhile so I'll take it on the chin. For once I don't even feel aggrieved about it having got away with it so many times.

Original question still stands though to anyone in that neck of the woods - do they run a Speed Awareness Course as in other forces to avoid me having to collect the 3pts ?

Bad news that, bang on the limit for getting caught.

make sure that they've followed all the proceedures before you sign that slip, ie sent it out within 14 days etc. I got off a speeding fine 2 yrs ago, when i recieved the slip I signed it but didn't fill it out and sent it back, I got a nice letter a few weeks later saying I was going to be prosecuted for failure to fill out the slip properly, wrote a letter back asking them to send a new slip and i would fill it out, when I got that one I filled it out but didn't sign it and sent that back, heard nothing more. I guess they're just too damn busy with the ammount of speeding paperwork they get anyway. Now I'm not recommending this method but it worked for me. I'd recomend that you look at
http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/Home/Menu1.htm

have a good look round and see if you can find any loop holes in where you were caught, eg equipment placed near a bend in the road and other stuff the fuzz are meant to comply with.

p.s Have also heard that if you supply the police with at least 2 names and addresses of who could have been driving the car at that time, supposedly it is up to them to find out who was really driving, ie they have to do some police work, and you haven't broken any laws as you have supplied the police with the relevant info.
(Post Link) post #10 of 24 Old 27-05-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Jaguar XF3.0DS

I've considered the options already (spent hours reading through pages & pages of stuff all of which seems to rest on a forthcoming case which may or may not set a precedent) and just feel like my time's up. No disputing who was driving (although a rear pic wouldn't show anything) but couldn't afford to lose the job for perjury or similar.

Given some of the things I've done and got away with (serious 3 fig speeds on bikes) then this is almost an anticlimax.

Also don't know whether your experience was with Cumbria but they appear to be real sdratsab !

it was with northumbria police, morpeth deal with ours. Although i'm of the opinion most forces are sdratsab when dealing with the cash cow of speeding tickets
AlfaLincs

The Police don't get to see any of the money I understand..it pays for the Road Safety Partnerships and new/maintaining cameras.

I used to ride that road on my Suzuki GT250 regularly from Leeds to Grange-over-Sands in the mid 70s coming over the tops often just as the sun rose on a saturday morning. I'd have been caught every time

You are quite right about Corsa boy..its not the speed so much as the dumb and dangerous that kill people. I think the whole speed camera thing is deeply flawed. My wife got a speed awareness course, and came back chastened, but she never drives over about 60anyway. Her mother got done too..the slowest driver I have ever met. She got done as they reduced a 40 zone to 30 and she didn't notice, having been driving the road at 40 for 30 years....two hardened criminals there for you.

Hoep you get a sensible offer of a speed course, but I doubt it.

AlfaLincs

AO Silver Member

County: Antrim

You were seriously unlucky to get a ticket at that speed. 46mph in a 40 mph limit is the minimum recommended speed for which a ticket should be issued. See here:

http://www.speedlimit.org.uk/faq.html

Depending on the conditions at the time you might be able to write to them and see if they will waive the ticket. If you'd been stopped by a traffic officer it is still at his discretion as to whether a ticket is issued.
(Post Link) post #14 of 24 Old 30-05-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Jaguar XF3.0DS

Having worked in this area in the past I'm well aware of the old ACPO 10% + 2mph guidelines but it would appear that the new Safety Partnersh1ts get to ignore the rule book and even 41 is fair game.

I'm not going to challenge it as I'm guilty as charged and have got away with it for long enough but would still like to attend one of their lovely speed presentations in lieu of the 3pts.
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaLincs View Post
The Police don't get to see any of the money I understand..it pays for the Road Safety Partnerships and new/maintaining cameras.
It doesn't even make the government money it's just a wonderful job creation scheme. Something this government is very fond of.
AO Silver Member

County: Antrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3lvc View Post
Having worked in this area in the past I'm well aware of the old ACPO 10% + 2mph guidelines but it would appear that the new Safety Partnersh1ts get to ignore the rule book and even 41 is fair game.

I'm not going to challenge it as I'm guilty as charged and have got away with it for long enough but would still like to attend one of their lovely speed presentations in lieu of the 3pts.
I forgot about the Safety Partnerships. All revenue makers here are manned by police and not necessarily traffic police as local bobbies have access to speed guns.

A traffic officer told me that their official line was the 10% + 2mph but they wouldn't normally stop you unless you were 10mph over the limit.
(Post Link) post #17 of 24 Old 31-05-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Jaguar XF3.0DS

No speed awareness course for Scumbria and a fairly poor attitude from she who answered my call because I had the audacity to ask. On this basis I'm going to go on holiday, get ratted & consider whether I fancy going face to face with a magistrate.

Last edited by k3lvc; 31-05-07 at 10:57. Reason: Used an inappropriate combination of numbers and letters to signify getting drunk !
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Sorry to hear about getting the ticket k3lvc.. Have you read about Capt. Gatso?
(Post Link) post #19 of 24 Old 31-05-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Jaguar XF3.0DS

Read more about speeding and law dodges over the last few days than I'd care to imagine. Major issue is I'm a (generally) law-abiding citizen who's being treated like a criminal and my morals don't allow me to do some of the ruses suggested. Still doesn't help with the indecision of accepting it or fighting it. All but ruled out a full blown 'plead not guilty and challenge everything in sight' but could go for a guilty m'lud but with mitigating circumstances.
VO2Max

I think take it on the chin mate, if they're your 1st points, it's 60 and your premium won't be affected at all. Not worth fighting it unless you have a watertight case for doing so. Put it down to experience.

AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Cumbrian police are tunnel-visioned eejits. I got three points for doing 81mph on a clear 3-lane motorway over Shap in bright dry weather. I was overtaking two cars in the middle lane (no other traffic) who were doing 60 mph and the 2nd car was 1ft off the car in front.

It's all about road safety of course .........NOT
andyroo75

What you need is a radar jammer!
My uncle has just had one fitted to his car. It jams the signal from the speed camera somehow causing it ti give an error message.
His cousin works on the mobile speed cameras so we got to test it properly to see if it worked. They do!!
Strictly speaking it it illegal but his doubles as a remote to open the gate on his driveway ( just to cover your back)
Quite pricy though about £600 I think and he has one front and back!!

VO2Max

That sounds well dodgy, Andyroo. What we don't need is some people having carte blanche to drive as fast as they like, when they like. And if he got caught, he is likely to have the book thrown at him.

AO Member

County: Warwickshire

Member car:

SAAB 9-5 2.3t

Police have technology to intercept vehicles fitted with radar
jammers,totally illegal and with the sweeping new powers they
have I have no doubt they would seize your vehicle,it is not
worth the aggro.
I will give you an instance of how times have changed,was up in Sandbach ,Cheshire yesterday,some idiot had parked illegaly
narrowing the width of the road,within minutes traffic police arrived
didnt' bother writing a ticket,summonsed a recovery truck and took
the car away,dont' underestimate their powers!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page