Narrowly avoided a 4 car smash this morning! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

Knightboat

Not Happy Narrowly avoided a 4 car smash this morning!

Was following a red corsa down a country b road doing about 40ish minding my own business when a little old dear in a micra decide to pull out of a side road right in front of the corsa! Not looking not even slowing down and clearly blissfully unaware that it was a tea junction! The corsa had no time to brake and ended up swerving violently into oncoming traffic forcing a people carrier full or kids doing around 50ish coming the other way on to the grass verge sending mud and grass flying! It then missed me by inches as the terrified driver wrestled it back onto the road all whilst I was trying to avoid a micra doing about 15mph and a fish tailing corsa! I am quiet sure the little old dear had no clue what was going on, and that she had just caused a near pileup!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Re: Narrowly avoided a 4 car smash this morning!

Bloody pensioners. Reckon they're more dangerous than drunks.

did you watch that program on itv last night about the OAPs driving?
AO Member

Member car:

GTV

I got 'codgered' at the weekend. I was driving an immaculate classic Mini Cooper S through Bracknell where there are stretches of dual-carriageway joined by roundabouts. You use both lanes to go straightover.

The codger in a Vauxhall Astra was on the inside and I was in the outside lane, both of us going straight over. Codger decides to straightline the roundabout, putting yours truly up onto the kerb. Luckily the kerb was chamfoured so I didn't totally wreck the rim and suspension.

Somewhat unsurprisingly, when I caught him up about a mile later in traffic and get out to have a word, he claimed that he didn't see me. Perhaps if he bothered looking in his mirrors, he might have seen a bright red Cooper with driver minding their own business just before he launched me into the weeds!
Knightboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly230381 View Post
No mist it! But thats probably a good thing as it would only enrage me further!

AO Gold Member

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly230381 View Post
No, I wanted to, but ended up going out. Probably a good thing as like knightboat, it would have just wound me up.

it wound me up! but clearly showed that OAPs should not be allowed to drive! They showed an 101year old man reversing out of his drive and it took him about half an hour!
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

I saw that program. It was a bit strange because I didn't know whether to laugh at the old folks antics or be annoyed.

I have almost been in crashes too because of older folk and I think they should do a driving test once they get to 70 and every 5 years or so after.

Not to the same difficulty of the normal driving test, just something to make sure they are safe.

An old boy hit my old Metro up the backside a few years ago. He was driving a big Volvo. He claimed he couldn'tsee me as the sun was in his eyes and my car was white!!! You ****ing what!!!!!?

Insurance paid out, but honestly....
alfafamily

It must have been the warm weather that sent the dodderers(young and old) funny today,I had 3 seperate occurences on the way to work,2 old to55ers and 1 suicidal crossing user who walked out into the road and then swore at me for not stopping even though the lights were on green for me.If I see her again she better make sure she uses that crossing right cos I aint stopping again. I am not having the back of the GTV wrecked to save her.
Why did I read this thread I had calmed down and now I'm mad again

AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

My grandad is 80 and is a very confident and good driver. I think the solution would be to have them take a driving test again at 75 and once again at 80 and 85... Maybe the gov should offer them free of charge..

I think its bad to generally call all OAP's bad drivers.
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
I saw that program. It was a bit strange because I didn't know whether to laugh at the old folks antics or be annoyed.

I have almost been in crashes too because of older folk and I think they should do a driving test once they get to 70 and every 5 years or so after.

Not to the same difficulty of the normal driving test, just something to make sure they are safe.
Oooh I didnt notice this.... We think the same dude... good call.
alfafamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationAlfa View Post
My grandad is 80 and is a very confident and good driver. I think the solution would be to have them take a driving test again at 75 and once again at 80 and 85... Maybe the gov should offer them free of charge..

I think its bad to generally call all OAP's bad drivers.
I agree with that. OAPs are not all poor drivers by any means and its wrong to say all of their bad driving is due to age. As for taking tests again I don't think that should be an old age related thing,some people are crap drivers from day one and always will be.Retests would get rid of a few of them as well.
PS. The 2 I referred to as old to55ers were about the same age as me but drove like 98 year olds still in their austin sevens.

One thing I'm pretty sure of causes the older people to get a bad name is failing eye sight, but this equally applies to most drivers I guess that have been going for some years. Reason I say this is because I have contact lenses so get my eyes checked quite regularly - its only when you get you eyes checked out and they have gone a little bit worse that you realise that your vision isn't as good as it should be. My guessing is that there are lots of folk out their with pretty poor vision that don't realise its bad due to it getting worse as they've gotten older. My Grandad stop driving because to be honest He got really dangerous, he used to bump into things when he was parking and many a time nearly smashed into other people, we all managed to convince him to quit - which he did. Turned out, he had got cateracts and his vision was becoming impaired. Hes since had his cateracts removed and was amazed at how bad his eyes actually were - mind hes not started driving again, hes decided its not for him anymore.
Knightboat

Ok this person happened to be old thatís not whatís got my goat , it was the shear blissful ignorance of what was going on around her! Sadly something that I have seen a lot of lately, of all ages! People driving in there own little world with no spatial awareness and it seems not a care either. These I feel are some of the most dangerous drivers on the road (ok excluding drunks, drugges, doing 70 in a 30 ect ect) purely because most am sure believe they are safe law abiding motorists. ďI donít SPEED!Ē YES but you donít look were your going either!

AO Silver Member

County: Armed Forces Europe

On the other hand, my landlord is 74 and got his car totaled by a young idiot driving at least 50mph in narrow village streets. The shock was violent enough that the Pug sent the Fiat 600 into a light pole on the other side of the intersection, and dropped its engine on the road.

Fortunately, my landlord escapes with bruises on the ribs, and that's it.

Knowing him and seeing how he doesn't drive over 25mph in these streets... If the intersection had been wider, he might have seen the guy coming, but in these narrow streets, a bozo arriving pedal to the metal will leave you no time to see him as you cross. Even if you did watch, he'll arrive in a dead angle.

Oh, cream on top, the young guy has no insurance. Yet he was driving like a nut, almost killed my landlord, and potentially any pedestrian there could have been smashed to bits.

So, age is not always the issue.
GJ
AO Platinum Member

County: Herefordshire

Member car:

Spider S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre_samanni View Post
So, age is not always the issue.
I agree

Having had a near miss today with a "twenty something" who needed my side of the road to get round a corner

To find out which age groups are most likely to be involved in accidents don't you just look at the insurance premiums
AO Silver Member

County: Gloucestershire

I replied to the other thread about the TV prog. Its just as well I can't see out of the GT, and I always carry a white stick in case I hit anyone.
What actually happens with old eyes, movement does not always register in the remains of the brain, so some just give up looking.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

164 Super 24v

[QUOTE=Knightboat;1093100]Ok this person happened to be old thatís not whatís got my goat , it was the shear blissful ignorance of what was going on around her! Sadly something that I have seen a lot of lately, of all ages! People driving in there own little world with no spatial awareness and it seems not a care either. [QUOTE]

Too true - in the downpour a couple of weeks ago I was driving therough Bristol city centre on the Sunday & nearly got side swiped twice because some stupid ****s thought they could drive with windows so fogged up they were opaque

My days of not taking you seriously are definitely coming to a middle
AO Gold Member

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Front page of today's local paper is a story of a 90 year old woman who drove into the back of a van while a carpenter was loading tools and took both his legs off.
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

That's just terrible badgers

So very sad...
Chris155

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgers_nadgers View Post
Front page of today's local paper is a story of a 90 year old woman who drove into the back of a van while a carpenter was loading tools and took both his legs off.
That's horrific! Porr bloke, lost his legs and more than likely, his livelyhood.

At 90, you've got to wonder if she understands the concept of being insured.

AO Member

County: Hampshire

badgers the same happened where i live an OAP overshot a stop sign and killed the car driver (Mother) on the main road driver in their 90's again and proves some people shouldn't be on the road, also had a neighbour late 70's used to stop at every crossroads and toot horn very dangerous if you were following behind....
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire

OAP's Dont get me started. Roand here there is to many.

They drive to slow. in a 60 they do 25. Ay can they just not see the speedo.

Its so dangerous. If you doing 60 in a 60 and are coming up to a blind corner and you slow down to say 50 to get roand it. Then when you are half way aroand you see yourself ontop of an aop doing 25.

Are they so heavy on the throttle when starting off cause they cannot here the revs.
VO2Max

I agree with your sentiment Gavin, but the same rule applies everywhere, always make sure you can STOP within the distance you can see to be clear. There may be horses, walkers, a cyclist on your side of the road round that blind bend. They won't even be doing 25mph!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page