Daylight Saving Time - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 22 Old 15-05-07 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
Daylight Saving Time

Why do we have to be so bloody awkward and have our own time zone in Britain? Every summer it is bright sunshine from about 4.30am and yet we lie in bed asleep and miss half of it, only to see it go dark at 9pm The police tell us that there'll be fewer burglaries if the evenings are lighter, less children will get knocked down on the roads, and our energy consumption will drop as we have lights on for a shorter period in the evening!

So come on Her Majesty's Government - put the clocks forward, GET US ON EUROPEAN TIME!!!!

- Keepin' it moist -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Re: Daylight Saving Time

'''but I thought other places also adjusted their clocks as well???
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

It's the winter time that annoys me. If the Scots want to have a time change why not let them? But down here in the South, it's pointless.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Agreed, it's a really silly thing that I wish they would leave alone, instead of messin' about changing all the clocks,watches in the house, twice a bloomin'year.: Especially as I invariably forget one, which I happen to look at a week or so later, and subsequently, miss, or mess something up, because of it. Grhhh! Let it be.

Last edited by zulu ferret; 15-05-07 at 13:54.
(Post Link) post #5 of 22 Old 15-05-07 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Slegg View Post
'''but I thought other places also adjusted their clocks as well???

they do, but the rest of western europe* are constantly an hour ahead of the uk, largely because they don't have to listen to 7 scottish farmers whose lives will be a little bit more difficult if their mornings were a bit darker. what about the other 59,999,993 people in the UK whose lives would be EASIER???

* apart from portugal (i think)
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

There are various countries which don't change their clocks at all, but most do.
And occasionally you get a really bloody awkward country who do change their clocks, but not at the same time as us, so you have to change your mind about how far ahead/behind us they are 4 times in a year. Which is the case this year with the USA, because they seemingly changed their minds about when to start summer time.
Nev

It's pathetic. An anachronism.

Why do we need to do it in the 21st Century?
People who are supposedly affected can just get
up earlier, FFS!

The 'States is great when you cross timezones
by car. Gets really confusing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACAPULCO AL View Post
* apart from portugal (i think)
Now that is annoying! Have to fly through
Madrid (most times) to get to Lisbon or Porto and it's
always a pain for the return flight etc.

AO Member

I love daylight saving. It's awesome. There's not enough sunshine in this damn country, why would you not want to maximise what little there is? I don't get it? Because it's too hard to change a few clocks? Weird.
AO Gold Member

County: South Africa
Garage

Member car:

Mito QV

No Daylight Saving Time in South Africa,
AO Gold Member

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
I love daylight saving. It's awesome. There's not enough sunshine in this damn country, why would you not want to maximise what little there is? I don't get it? Because it's too hard to change a few clocks? Weird.
Eh? You get the same amount no matter what time the clock says it is. I don't care which one they choose (well, I'd prefer the one with more time in the evening, but I'm not too bothered), I just wish they'd pick one and stick with it as changing all the clocks (and remembering too) is a PITA.
mudhut

They tried that many years ago (permanent BST) BN - before you were born but I remember it quite well. There were loads of compalints about kids going to school in the dark and so on. Only lasted a year IIRC.

Of course countries near the equator don't need daylight saving but if anybody else wants to they can save it for me.

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
There are various countries which don't change their clocks at all, but most do.
And occasionally you get a really bloody awkward country who do change their clocks, but not at the same time as us, so you have to change your mind about how far ahead/behind us they are 4 times in a year. Which is the case this year with the USA, because they seemingly changed their minds about when to start summer time.
Not all of them.... for 2 weeks Indiana had different time zones within the same state!
AlfaLincs

It is estimated that by not putting the clocks back in the Autumn many lives would be saved on the roads. Try telling that to the speed camera lobby and you just get a blank look.

Alfalincs

(Post Link) post #14 of 22 Old 17-05-07 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

going onto european time is a no-brainer. the only people who would be worse off are people in northern scotland where it would still (just about) be dark at 9am in the depths of winter. but what about the VAST majority of us who would be better off? or does the tail wag the dog these days?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

What the problems if those Scottish Farmers just stayed in bed an hour later on a morning and finished work an hour later in the evening? At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what the hour on the clock says it is.

We should have one set time that it is everywhere in the world. That way we didn't have anacronisms like "time-zones". That will mean some for some people the sun comes up at 0700, for others it comes up at 2300, but it doesn't really make a blind bit of difference.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

156 GTA SW

could be confusing, but it's not like we swap the months around is it? The Ozzies are used to having December in the middle of summer. I guess it's because it stems from before we had all this communication and quick travel and suchlike.

[QUOTE=mudhut;1079584]They tried that many years ago (permanent BST) BN - before you were born but I remember it quite well. There were loads of compalints about kids going to school in the dark and so on. Only lasted a year IIRC.
QUOTE]

Aye, I remember this when I was at school. Don't think it had anything to do with Jock farmers though. There was a great hue and cry about kid's safety so they abandoned the idea. I quite liked it as it meant it was still light for going home. As it is, in the depths of winter it's dark going to work and dark coming home!!

Oh, and farmers can't just get up an hour later etc. the coos have to be milked at a set time or they burst They don't get up at 4 in the morning for the fun of it. At least I don't think they do.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
Oh, and farmers can't just get up an hour later etc. the coos have to be milked at a set time or they burst They don't get up at 4 in the morning for the fun of it. At least I don't think they do.
They can get up an hour later, but they'd have to go to bed an hour later to compensate. The cows don't have to be milked at 4 in the morning necessarily, they just have to be milked a certain time apart. Most start early so that they're finished for the evening at around 7.

Most arable farmers get up early because it seems to be a competition between them about who can get up the earliest. Also they like to lord it over me about how much work they've got done by the time I've got into the office. I try to tell them that driving about town in a truck and looking out for my car outside the office doesn't consititute work…

1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Ex 95 164 TS Super, 95 164 QV, 97 164 V6 Super – all very much missed.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Actually, that's what we should do. We'll all stay on European time (with no daylight saving) and the scots can start school an hour later and finish an hour later. There's no reason people have to get up at 7 0' clock. In the past people just worked dusk to dusk, which meant longer hours in summer and shorter ones in winter.
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

S'great this. Scotland's as long as England you know, so where do you draw the line?
AO Gold Member

Member car:

156 GTA SW

I don't know, maybe at the part where the canal splits it in half?
(Post Link) post #22 of 22 Old 17-05-07 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
S'great this. Scotland's as long as England you know, so where do you draw the line?
just north of your back garden so you get to go to work in the dark

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page