1st july Smoking ban - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 169 Old 15-05-07 Thread Starter

Chilling 1st july Smoking ban

As i am feeling the need for several rants today thought i would bring up the subject of the soon to come into action "no smoking in enclosed spaces".

Where as i agree that people who do not smoke, dont like being covered in it. I feel that people having the choice to smoke while they enjoy a drink in pub and happily socailising should still have that choice.

What happened to a free society!!!

Dictatorship is taking over. Outside areas with shelter would be nice. Whilst all you non smokers think its a good time for us lepers to pack up it would be nice to have the choice to pack up as and when we choose!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: herts
Re: 1st july Smoking ban

With having been diagnosed as having only 67% approximately, of expected lung capacity for my age, attributed to having been a smoker, I couldn't possibly comment.: Or could I?

You'll find that most establishments will create outside shelters where possible, that's what's happened up here.

As to your point on freedom of liberty I'm afraid that as far as smokers are concerned that is very much a one way street. I would have no objections at all if smoke wasn't intrusive but it is.

For you to "enjoy" your smoke means everyone near you must suffer by way of a hazard to health and foul smelling clothes/hair/atmosphere etc.

It would be fine if you could "smoke" by chewing a sweetie or tobacco flavoured lollipop, but no such products exist. Instead smokers make everyone else suffer so they can indulge their habit/addiction.
VO2Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTroll View Post
Where as i agree that people who do not smoke, dont like being covered in it. I feel that people having the choice to smoke while they enjoy a drink in pub and happily socailising should still have that choice.
Ahem, didn't you just contradict yourself? Is your right to smoke greater than my right not to stink of tobacco while I am enjoying a night out?

AO Silver Member

County: Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
As to your point on freedom of liberty I'm afraid that as far as smokers are concerned that is very much a one way street. I would have no objections at all if smoke wasn't intrusive but it is.

For you to "enjoy" your smoke means everyone near you must suffer by way of a hazard to health and foul smelling clothes/hair/atmosphere etc.

It would be fine if you could "smoke" by chewing a sweetie or tobacco flavoured lollipop, but no such products exist. Instead smokers make everyone else suffer so they can indulge their habit/addiction.
I agree with Will, up to a point.

Driving a sporty car creates more noise and environmental pollution and has more of an effect on bystanders than (say) riding a bicycle, but I'd be pretty peeved if I was banned from doing it.

I know it's not exactly the same, and that I'm drastically stretching the point, but there is a slight parallel, and who knows when or where the line will be drawn next time.

edit to add that I don't smoke and never have - I much prefer pubs now that they're smoke free, but just because the new law suits me personally, that doesn't necessarily mean its A Good Thing.

Last edited by jamieboy; 15-05-07 at 11:29.
AO Member

Having had the smoking ban in Scotland now for over a year and being a non-smoker myself I can say I don't miss that 2 day cough/sore throat that comes with having a jar, plus I also smell slightly better

And all that stuff people used to say about pubs smelling of toilets...it just means they have to start cleaning them for a change
(Post Link) post #7 of 169 Old 15-05-07 Thread Starter

It is excatly the same as jamie boy said. Driving a car or going in an aeroplane is far more polutant than smoking.

And yes where will the dictatorship stop!!!
AO Member

Quote:
It is excatly the same as jamie boy said. Driving a car or going in an aeroplane is far more polutant than smoking.

Buy you aren't sitting in an enclosed space with a car or aeroplane - if you did you you eventually die from the fumes.

EDIT: beside at least cars and planes have there uses, what are the point of fags anyway???
AO Silver Member

County: Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by puntomatt View Post
EDIT: beside at least cars and planes have there uses, what are the point of fags anyway???
Since we're talking about pubs, what's the point of beer? It doesn't do anything beneficial that can't be done by other fluids, so why not ban it?
AO Silver Member

County: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieboy View Post
I agree with Will, up to a point.

Driving a sporty car creates more noise and environmental pollution and has more of an effect on bystanders than (say) riding a bicycle, but I'd be pretty peeved if I was banned from doing it.
I'm sorry mate but have you seen some of the alarming sights dressed in lycra on the road !

Road tax for cyclists
AO Member

Ah, this old chestnut ...we're not talking about a complete ban, if I have drink and you're sitting next to me you don't get drunk, however if you're smoking and I'm sitting next to you I get the sore throat, coughing, the smell and the possibility of a variety of lovely cancers to look forward too.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire

Quote:

Me being a passenger in a car or an airplane carries a far lower chance of me contracting Cancer or Emphysema though.

I know smokers (some off here) and they are all conscientious enough to not smoke in non-smokers company, there's nothing negative about the ban.

One thing that REALLY gets on my **** is people who smoke whilst I'm eating, nothing worse and I'd happily kill the perpatrator with my steak knife.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieboy View Post
Since we're talking about pubs, what's the point of beer? It doesn't do anything beneficial that can't be done by other fluids, so why not ban it?
If Alcohol and Tobacco had been discovered in a different time it would be banned.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
One thing that REALLY gets on my **** is people who smoke whilst I'm eating, nothing worse and I'd happily kill the perpatrator with my steak knife.
hear hear
AO Member

With regards to banning beer - it's illegal to drink outside here unless a property is specially licenced, the same thing is happening to ciggies but in reverse.

Well I think the comparison with aircraft and cars is tenuous. As has been stated most of us do not have to stand in the immediate vicinity or in an enclosed space with fumes being belched in our faces. And besides both the aircraft and motor industry are constantly under progressive legislation to clean up their emissions. Until the tobacco ban the only thing providers have had to do is stick a wee notice on the side of their fag packets which has all but been ignored.

But please wait 'til the ban comes in before you pass judgement. Up here it has worked well for all and there hasn't been too much restriction on liberty. After all smoking itself hasn't been banned, it's only been restricted.
(Post Link) post #17 of 169 Old 15-05-07 Thread Starter

Smoking is heavily taxed in this country. Without us smokers personal tax would go up at an alarming rate.

R all u non smokers happy to pay more tax.
AO Member

But then you could argue smokers are a greater burden on the NHS. Advertising campaigns and support groups for smokers to quit isn't cheap either.

EDIT: again we aren't talking about a complete ban

Quote:
Smoking is heavily taxed in this country. Without us smokers personal tax would go up at an alarming rate.

R all u non smokers happy to pay more tax.
Another distortion of facts. What makes you think the tax take would go down if everyone stopped smoking? Almost everything we do is taxed in this country so if you don't get taxed on your fags you'll get taxed on something else. Stop smoking and buy a fancier car? You'll pay VAT car tax, road tax, fuel tax. Stick it in the building society? Nope sorry they'll tax it in there, too.

The country would be far wealthier if everybody stopped smoking, although I will concede one thing. You smokers all help to keep annuity rates up as you all tend to die on average 8 years younger than non-smokers. So, thankyou for subsidising pensioners.
(Post Link) post #20 of 169 Old 15-05-07 Thread Starter

There you go then, we die younger keeping non smokers pensions going, so therefore there is some benifit to smoking!
AO Member

Quote:
There you go then, we die younger keeping non smokers pensions going, so therefore there is some benifit to smoking!
Aslong as you do it outside
AO Gold Member

County: -

Quote:
As i am feeling the need for several rants today thought i would bring up the subject of the soon to come into action "no smoking in enclosed spaces".

What happened to a free society!!!

Dictatorship is taking over. Outside areas with shelter would be nice. Whilst all you non smokers think its a good time for us lepers to pack up it would be nice to have the choice to pack up as and when we choose!
There is no such thing as a "Free'Society..if there was then anyone could kill you for fun....

Hmmmm sounds good we could go on a smokers hunt ...now where are my hunting dogs

And of course your 'I want to smoke in a pub' infringes on the rights of staff who also have the right to work in a smoke free work place.

When you live in a society you not only have rights but also obligations and responsibilities. Nothing is 'free'
AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Garage

Yikes Joey you can tell its raining outside !! lol

Well as an Asthma sufferer I think it should be banned.. end of..

Roll on July, even if I am left at the bar on my own....
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll View Post
Yikes Joey you can tell its raining outside !! lol

Well as an Asthma sufferer I think it should be banned.. end of..

Roll on July, even if I am left at the bar on my own....
At least you'll get served in no time at all
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

Giulietta Sprint

Sorry Mrs Troll but that's rubbish.

As an ex smoker i can't wait for July 1st.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page