Parking in disabled bays - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 203 Old 08-05-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV

Parking in disabled bays

I remember a few years ago being sat in the local Tesco cafe whilst some fully-able, fat, sovereign ring-wearing lout in a BMW M3 decided not only to park in a disabled bay, but then get out of his car and threaten someone who was displaying an orange badge who dared tp remonstrate with him for parking in the only available disabled bay.

If you are able-bodied but insist on parking in the disabled bays - is this the absolute height of arrogance and self-importance?

Not only are you lucky enough to be able to walk the extra distance but you are forcing someone who clearly cannot to do the same.

I guess being a selfish t*at is a kind of disability.

Sorry guys, rant over!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: North Lanarkshire
Garage
Re: Parking in disabled bays

See it happen all the time. My local Asda however is slapping £40 fines on the windscreen of those parked in these bays who haven't a disabled badge displayed.
mudhut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 147virgin View Post
See it happen all the time. My local Asda however is slapping £40 fines on the windscreen of those parked in these bays who haven't a disabled badge displayed.
How do they enforce this? Are they clamping the cars or something similar?

mikebrown

that was going to be my question mudhut....if not clamping how are they going to force the driver to pay up ?

AO Silver Member

County: North Lanarkshire
Garage

We used the same way in the Glasgow cinema I used to work in. Its a private company who issue you with books of tickets. When the tickets are filled out and stuck on the car windscreens, the carbon copy gets sent back to the firm, detailing of course, the cars' details, offence, tax disc details, reg plate etc. They do the enforcing, with a discounted fine for those offenders who offer quick payment.
mudhut

Yes Mike - I await the answer with interest.

Have to admit to having parked in the disabled bays or the similarly conveniently placed "parents with kids" bays very late at night when there's loads free.

mikebrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by 147virgin View Post
We used the same way in the Glasgow cinema I used to work in. Its a private company who issue you with books of tickets. When the tickets are filled out and stuck on the car windscreens, the carbon copy gets sent back to the firm, detailing of course, the cars' details, offence, tax disc details, reg plate etc. They do the enforcing, with a discounted fine for those offenders who offer quick payment.

cheers....

wrinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfisch View Post
I remember a few years ago being sat in the local Tesco cafe whilst some fully-able, fat, sovereign ring-wearing lout in a BMW M3 decided not only to park in a disabled bay, but then get out of his car and threaten someone who was displaying an orange badge who dared tp remonstrate with him for parking in the only available disabled bay.

If you are able-bodied but insist on parking in the disabled bays - is this the absolute height of arrogance and self-importance?

Not only are you lucky enough to be able to walk the extra distance but you are forcing someone who clearly cannot to do the same.

I guess being a selfish t*at is a kind of disability.

Sorry guys, rant over!
No need to apologise...one of my favourite rants as well. I'm glad some supermarkets are finally doing something about it....but it's equally sad that they have to police the spots at all

Having the use of two legs without a disability I park at the furthest end of the supermarket and walk...it's easy if you can.

wrinx

AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinx View Post
Having the use of two legs without a disability I park at the furthest end of the supermarket and walk...it's easy if you can.

wrinx
Good excersize too. I always park as far as i can from the supermarket. More chance of getting a good space too (with less chance of getting car doored).
AO Platinum Member

Fat...?
Beemer-driving...?

Sovereign-ring wearing...?

He's obviously an emotional cripple. Doesn't that count?

Ralf S.
AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire

This does wind me up also and those people that use parent and child spaces when they have no children or have children who don't need to be in car seats and usually have them in in the passenger seat.

Pulled into Tescos on Saturday in a parent and child space (with my children in the car ) and on one side was a single bloke who just couldn't be bothered to walk and the other two young lads in a Saxo who obviously thought that they still qualified to use such a space

Last edited by dpat; 09-05-07 at 11:37.
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpat View Post
This does wind me up also and those people that use parent and child spaces when thy ahve no children
I'm fully against people parking in disabled bays, I get very wound up about this. However, I freely admit that if a parent and child space is available I will use it. Kids are a lifestyle choice, being disabled is not.

I'm sick of all the preferential treatment parents get.
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

Now what really p1sses me off is when a disabled driver cant see a disabled space so decides to park in the last parent and child space,god forbid an abled body person parking in a disabled space but its fine for a disabled person to park in a parent and child space with no children on board its happened to me lots of times now so if i cant find a free parent space ill park in a disabled one when ive got the kids............*waits to be dissed lol
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

Quote:
And what treatment is that exactly?
AO Gold Member

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonersele View Post
And what treatment is that exactly?
Child benefit, child tax credit, parental leave, flexible working. As well as things like parent and child parking spaces – not that i let that bother me.
Nev

It's wrong,
although I will admit to paking in one
at a ski resort once and getting a ticket.

(In my defence, it was covered in 6" of
snow and ice )

Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgers_nadgers View Post
Child benefit, child tax credit, parental leave, flexible working. As well as things like parent and child parking spaces – not that i let that bother me.
... Having to cover all the time at work too.
Especially Wednesday, which most wimmin get off.

Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonersele View Post
Now what really p1sses me off is when a disabled driver cant see a disabled space so decides to park in the last parent and child space,god forbid an abled body person parking in a disabled space but its fine for a disabled person to park in a parent and child space with no children on board its happened to me lots of times now so if i cant find a free parent space ill park in a disabled one when ive got the kids............*waits to be dissed lol
Are you serious? You don't think that perhaps a disabled person needs that space more than someone who just happens to have a sprog with them?
Dibby

It does bug the hell out of me.

I get a great feeling of self-righteous satifaction from shouting "You know that space is for physically disabled people, not mentally disabled people like you!"

AO Platinum Member

Quote:

which is exactly

Quote:

Are you someone who doesn't want children ever?

A lifestyle choice? No I had children with my wife because we we happily married and love each other and wanted to have children as an expression of our love (sorry if this is too soppy for anyone) and because we decided we were ready to have the responsibility of having children and bringing a new life into the world.

We did not think, 'hey I fancy a child - great that will add to our lifestyle, we will look trendy and cool and they will be a great fashion accessory to go with my Alfa, designer sunglasses, clothes etc etc...

Perhaps you have phrased it the wrong way so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Also have you tried getting a 2 year old and a 4 month old into car seats in a busy carpark where most of the parent and child spaces have been filled by selfish people who can't be bother to walk an extra 100 yards? I guess not - believe me it is difficult to mind them, you and your car doors and other car doors when parked in a normal space.

Previous: Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 SXi -147 1.6 TS Lusso - 156 1.8 TS - 159 2.4 JTDm Lusso SW - 159 1.9 JTDm Lusso saloon - 159 1.9 JTDm Lusso SW - 159 2.0 JTDm Ti SW - VW Golf TDi - Fiat Bravo Multijet Sport - Volvo V70 2.4D SE Lux - Fiat Punto Evo 1.4 GP - Skoda Superb 2.0D DSG L&K Estate - Now: 159 2.0 JTDm Ti SW & Giulietta 1.4 MA QV-Line
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

Well Happy Re: Parking in disabled bays

Quote:
However, I freely admit that if a parent and child space is available I will use it. Kids are a lifestyle choice, being disabled is not.
It's so that you can load the kid(s) in safely you complete loon!!!

It's not a reward for fertility.

You need to be able to open the doors fully to get the kid(s) fastened in so that's why the spaces are bigger. If not, you run the risk of banging the car next to you, and as no-rubbing-strips-on-our-doors-Alfa-owners, we know that's not good.

It also means you don't have to battle too far through a busy carpark (often with no pavements) with kid(s) and a heavy trolley. Seems perfectly reasonable I reckon.

Last edited by RicksAlfas; 10-05-07 at 07:59.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
Are you someone who doesn't want children ever?
No, I want children someday. Can't afford them right now (plus not quite responsible enough yet!)

Quote:
A lifestyle choice? No I had children with my wife because we we happily married and love each other and wanted to have children as an expression of our love (sorry if this is too soppy for anyone) and because we decided we were ready to have the responsibility of having children and bringing a new life into the world.
Which is a lifestyle choice. You wanted the lifestyle/life of a family. There's nowt wrong with it, it's probably the greatest thing you can do. But it's a personal choice which shouldn't necessitate other people having to go out of their way for you.

Quote:
Also have you tried getting a 2 year old and a 4 month old into car seats in a busy carpark where most of the parent and child spaces have been filled by selfish people who can't be bother to walk an extra 100 yards? I guess not - believe me it is difficult to mind them, you and your car doors and other car doors when parked in a normal space.
I haven't tried it to be honest, but as I said, it was your decision to have kids.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksAlfas View Post
You need to be able to open the doors fully to get the kid(s) fastened in so that's why the spaces are bigger. If not, you run the risk of banging the car next to you, and as no-rubbing-strips-on-our-doors-Alfa-owners, we know that's not good.
My parents managed perfectly well in the days before they invented these things. If it's that much of a problem, park in a bay at the back where there's not many people around.
AO Member

Member car:

alfa romeo

In Castletown we have a small co-op that has two spaces out side, and the other day some posh git parked in both with his Porkie Canann thing (you know big 4x4 that's but ugly) so beeing in the dog car (skoda) i decided to park behind. This was childish as it stoped him getting out but some one getting in. I whent to the cash point so I could see him come out after 20 mins he came out and had a go at me about blocking him in with the great words "don't you know who I am.

What he did not know is that I had seen the local police man who came round the corner and gave him a nice ticket for parking in two spaces, I also got a don't do it again but I think he thought it great.

Reveng is soooo nice
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
But it's a personal choice which shouldn't necessitate other people having to go out of their way for you.

I haven't tried it to be honest, but as I said, it was your decision to have kids.
I don't

I don't force my choices on anyone.

The parking bays are as Rick pointed out designed to make life a little easier for those people with children to get them into and out of cars.

Therefore they are there for that reason so why will people not show some common decency and leave them for the people they were designed for?

It was the supermarkets decision to put the spaces in and yes it is a good idea and I do use them.

I don't park in disabled bays of double yellow lines just because it suits me.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page