Bad Parking - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 27 Old 05-05-07 Thread Starter

Bad Parking

Is it me are do people not care about where they dump their cars anymore.

Just got back from a delightful trip to the in-laws and found a lovely little blue peugeot car parked half across our driveway.

Times like this I'd love to have a ex amy tank handy so I could just kind of flatten it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

County: British Columbia
Garage
Re: Bad Parking

That seems a strange thing to do ??

can you call a scrap dealer to take it away ? should be worth some money for scrap metal.
GJ
AO Platinum Member

County: Herefordshire

Member car:

Spider S4

You could always borrow a lipstick and write a message on the windscreen... politely asking them to be more thoughtful of others
AO Silver Member

County: Staffordshire

Member car:

Merc S320

I get this when people "park" their cars directly opposite my drive (no houses there). I like to reverse onto the driveway (which is quite steep down to the house) and often find that I can't swing around sufficiently to reverse and so have to go round the block to pull on nose first. And then there are those thoughtful people who park opposite my drive in such a way as the wife and I can't actually get off our driveway

Must remember the lipstick next time
GJ
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Spider S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwwest View Post

It seems to work

Can't imagine why.... [it was all we could find to write with ]
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE1 View Post
Is it me are do people not care about where they dump their cars anymore.

Just got back from a delightful trip to the in-laws and found a lovely little blue peugeot car parked half across our driveway.

Times like this I'd love to have a ex amy tank handy so I could just kind of flatten it.
Yeah it seems to be more common now - what is wrong with people
AO Silver Member

Well Happy Re: Bad Parking

It's worse when your nextdoor neighbour does it and you don't want to fall out with them so you go and ask politely for them to move it and you would think it's the end of the world.
Nev

Some of my neighbours have real garages.
But these are all full of sh!te, so they
park in the single track leading to the block.

One of them loves to put his pink L200
pickup right on the corner so you can't
turn in without a bit of backward/forwards.

And all the woman love to park facing out
so they don't have to back onto the road.
But they don't park up against the wall, oh no!
They leave the cars in the middle so they can
get out the drivers side.

I'm over worrying about it:
You see worse out there.
(Parking on roundabouts, anyone?)

(Post Link) post #9 of 27 Old 06-05-07 Thread Starter

I don't feel so bad now - I thought I just attracted bad parking to outside our house.

The first house we had - same sort of thing, blocking the drive, parking across from the drive - they may as well just parked on our drive.

So we moved house cos we got fed up of it - and guess what, it still happens.

I've seen people parking on roundabouts - its sort of been stopped now but it was quite common around the Reebok stadium during a match day

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin View Post
It's worse when your nextdoor neighbour does it and you don't want to fall out with them so you go and ask politely for them to move it and you would think it's the end of the world.
I get this too
Neighbour not so bad these days, mainly everybody who visits them now. If your visiting someone why can you not park on there drive or block there's
Worst thing is there's a good parking area only 100 yards away, but that means walking
And Alfa drivers no better, had a black 156 in the way today.
I wonder if I have the right to clamp people who block my drive, anyone know?
Cheers
GJ
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Spider S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug_101 View Post
I wonder if I have the right to clamp people who block my drive, anyone know?
Cheers
I don't think so

The only reference in The Highway Code is:

“DO NOT park your vehicle or trailer on the road where it would endanger, inconvenience or obstruct pedestrians or other road users (e.g. partially obstructing a drive)”

But it is only a code of behaviour......... failure to comply with the rules of the Code will not cause a person to be prosecuted.

" The Highway Code may be used in evidence in any court proceedings under Traffic Acts to establish liability in the event of any accident and subsequent litigation. "

So you need to have an accident as a result of inconsiderate parking before anyone gets really interested

Irritating... in the extreme

Maybe as my drive is on a incline I should buy a heavy 4x4 and attach blunt, but pointy spikes to the bumpers and have a remote release on the handbrake. Got to be 50-50 on the insurance claim .
AO Silver Member

County: Gloucestershire

Some large self adhesive labels, suitably written, stuck in front of the steering wheel? I always think I'll bring out the trolley jack and move them by jacking up under the fuel tank. Don't think I could actually do it though.

Thought I'd post a photo:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-...4/DSCF0106.JPG

The blue T4 is mine (or was ), now normally I have 2 cars on the drive side by side so the Volvo would be straighter. Now how would I be able to get it off the drive with the Astra where it is?
Would it have been so hard to park behind the black mondeo .
Cheers
wrinx

What a strange bit of parking

I thought it was an offence to block access...?

wrinx

AlfaLincs

Even in 1977 parking was a bit stretched in Headingley..studentland. The old couple who lived opposite me and my mates got a nice new white mini and used to put old oil cans in the road to mark "their" parking space, and got very uppity if anyone parked there even when it was innocent. We used to move the cans in front of other peoples houses in the street..oh what fun watching the resulting "neighbourly' discussions

AlfaLincs

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwwest View Post
I get this when people "park" their cars directly opposite my drive (no houses there). I like to reverse onto the driveway (which is quite steep down to the house) and often find that I can't swing around sufficiently to reverse and so have to go round the block to pull on nose first. And then there are those thoughtful people who park opposite my drive in such a way as the wife and I can't actually get off our driveway

We occassionally get this problem too from the visitors of one of our neighbours. When I asked them to part more considerately one of the visitors (our neighbour father) threatended to smash my teeth in !! The situation wasn't helped by the Police who told our neighbours that unless the road was totally blocked in both directions no obstruction was being caused . After 18 months of exchanging letter pointing out the police's mistakes they finally agreed to do something about it.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE1 View Post
So we moved house cos we got fed up of it - and guess what, it still happens.
A friend of mine suggested that we move to avoid tha hassle, but then why should we. I'd contact the police if I were you, and don't take "No" for an answer from them...
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaGJ View Post
I don't think so

The only reference in The Highway Code is:

“DO NOT park your vehicle or trailer on the road where it would endanger, inconvenience or obstruct pedestrians or other road users (e.g. partially obstructing a drive)”

But it is only a code of behaviour......... failure to comply with the rules of the Code will not cause a person to be prosecuted.

" The Highway Code may be used in evidence in any court proceedings under Traffic Acts to establish liability in the event of any accident and subsequent litigation. "

So you need to have an accident as a result of inconsiderate parking before anyone gets really interested

Irritating... in the extreme
Actually what the laws says is as follows:

a. No one has the legal right to park on the public highway.
b. Any occupation of part of the road is an obstruction.

Whether this occupation of the road constitutes an unreasonable obstruction involves consideration of 1). Reference to the Highway Code 2). What effect it has on other road users 3). What alternatives are readily available?
AO Member

i think i **** my neighbours off, i have 3 cars and i have to park 2 of them on the opposite side of the road half on the footpath as its only a small road. have had eggs smashed on teh windows of one of them a few times (but never the alfa?) i feel perfectly jsutified as we were given use of teh land by the previous owners to park cars adn then a building developer came in an took away 5 parking spaces oh well im not movin them
AO Member

It seems that people only think of themselves these days. The car park entrance at my work is constantly being blocked by customers visiting a neighbouring company, despite a huge "Strictly no parking" sign.
GJ
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Spider S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slegg View Post
Actually what the laws says is as follows:
Gary, I assume that is what the "law" as opposed to what the "Highway code" says

Sorry I don't quite "get" the meaning

It must be an age thing
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaGJ View Post
Gary, I assume that is what the "law" as opposed to what the "Highway code" says

Sorry I don't quite "get" the meaning

It must be an age thing
Hi AlfaGJ, that's correct, its what the Law says as opposed to the Highway code. Which bit haven't I explained very well and I'll see if I can make it clearer. Basically, the law is that the full width of the road has to be available for passing and repassing - therefore any parked car may be deemed an obstruction. However, whether that obstruction is actually an offence depends on a mumber of other things, including the highway code (e.g., according to the highway code you shouldn't block someones drive), what effect it has on other road users (e.g., does it mean that other road users can't 'swing-round') and what alternatives are readily avaiable (e.g., could the car owner park on his own drive, is there a nearby car park etc).

In every step, I hear your sobbing
Dare I break the shade with one caress
Dare I trespass to lift the veil
To touch the lips so soft and frail

It may be that love comes once and once only, preceded by rehersal, followed by regret.

Know well that however right a man may be they always find the fallen one guilty.

All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
GJ
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Spider S4

You've cleared it up for me Gary.... I thought you were saying the law wasn't "in accord" with the Highway Code.

But it is down to the difference between an obstruction and whether or not that obstruction is an offence in law.

I'm afraid that, from my perspective, these things are never cut and dried.... and yet it seems such a simple thing

No wonder the Lawyers are all rich
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Put a sign up saying "anyone who parks blocking this driveway will be clamped" buy a wheel clamp and use it.

Charge them £50 to get the car "released" job done.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page