It's okay, the customer won't realize... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 29-04-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Armed Forces Europe
TUT It's okay, the customer won't realize...

Here I am fixing something else on my 155 and finding that someone who put his hands there before me thought it was ok not to finish the job... since you'd have to take the thing apart to see it.

This afternoon, it's a screw missing from the steering column cowling. I was wondering why it seemed to be a bit loose... A bit later I try to remove another plastic part... I find two screws were damaged beyond removal, can't remove the thing until I find replacement screws.

Another day, I was told by a friend that my 155 looked like it had previously been in a minor accident and the rear bumper had been changed. That's when I realized why the 155 chrome lettering was not perfectly horizontal. Probably the body shop guy who installed it didn't do a perfect job, but it was "good enough".

Back at the body shop for damage to the car front... The car was "ready", but the wheel arch plastic cover was not properly aligned with the bumper, and the grid was not properly centered . Quick fix on the spot. I then realized that the bonnet was slightly misaligned, turns out the hinges had probably been shifted. "Oh your car was in an accident you know". And that the black foam hinge pads were gone. "Oh they never were there in the first place". Yeah, sure, I must have been delusional last time I saw them... Turns out I replaced them myself and they're only hard to remove/replace.

Then I took the front bumper off myself to adjust it. You've got it, I couldn't make it fit perfectly, because certain screws are missing. Impossible to know if they were missing before or after said stay at the body shop.

And the air induction box that I had brought for the body shop to replace the one broken in the accident... was so poorly put together after they replaced the filter in it, I couldn't believe it when I saw it. Had to fix it myself.

Was also flabbergasted that a body shop wouldn't apply rust treatment on parts of the frame where an accident chips the paint/sealant away, especially when you see it's starting to rust.

So I can't say I can recommend mechanics or body shops in general around Naples. And a few of these past things I mentioned happened under the previous owner in Northern Italy, where people are supposed to be more serious.

What's your experience, overall?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 18 Old 29-04-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Re: It's okay, the customer won't realize...

Sorry for the long rant.
Nev

That's work/engineering "Mediterranean" style.

Exactly the same here.

Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Sorry to hear that Pierre

I would have thought it to be possible to fine a good Alfa garage that actually takes care of cars in Naples.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Reckon it's spread everywhere now, lax working practices on motors. That's why it's so reassuring to have good forums like AO.Practical advice, plus recommendations on where there are people who can be trusted to do a good job.:
(Post Link) post #6 of 18 Old 29-04-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

I 100% second that, zulu!
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

And I third that
AO Platinum Member

It gets my goat a bit over the problems that get listed for Alfas in general. If most repairers had the enthusiasm and technical skills of the oft' mentioned one in North Herts, then things would be a lot rosier on the service/ repair front! Just hope that Alfa manage to get good, interested, technically qualified staff now, with a caring, sharing, approach to the models.:
BlueEvo2

Sorry to hear of your woes and agreed completely. It's the same with most things, sadly. Water started coming through our kitchen ceiling t'other night so I took the side off the bath to see what was what. It looked like a builder's skip under there! The previous bloke had obviously bodged the trap and drain onto the bath and propped it up with all sorts of detritus and then swept any rubbish from the rest of his DIY bathroom job under the bath and put the side panel on!

Grrr I'm doing my Integrale up at the moment and every job is going to be 100% - it's just the way it should be.

N.B
AO Member

Member car:

1975 Spider

Ive got to the stage now that if I can do it myself and I have time I will.
So many bad experiences with garages...main dealers included. The last one on my Peugeot the dealer broke two studs holding the under body guard . and replaced the end box on the exhaust and when picking it up told me that the middle section needed replacing too ! Dumb ****s!

Is there a site that lists garrages and gives reviews ?
mikebrown

its not just garages or body shops...its so called tradesmen in general...it seems that in the most part people do not want to do a quality job for a reasonable days pay...they want to take short cuts to maximise their profit with the minimum of effort..

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Long time ago my (ex) wife's VW Polo was hit from behind and I said that I knew of a good bodyshop to do the work. However, as it was fairly new she wanted it done by the VW main agent in Purley where she had bought it. After collection she drove it away and I followed in my car. Her rear number plate lamps were not working so when we arrived home I looked underneath to get them only to find that the damaged panel was partially removed (new panel welded over the top) and it looked as though it had been cut with an old-fashioned tin opener; no sign of any paint, underseal or any care in doing the work. When it was returned for the work to be carried out correctly the service manager didn't even blush!
AO Member

the hand brake wouldnt hold my last car on the hill that i live on so tightened teh cable with little effect so next was open up teh drums to see what shape the shoes were in, there was only one bloody shoe in each drum!! ppl just dont care about someone elses property/safety imo
AO Platinum Member

Keep DIY'in Chaps, Way To Go
AO Platinum Member

Tarquini has had a prang at some point in the past. I noticed the airbox casing was held in with all manner of strange screws and fasteners and the intake trumpet was missing altogether.

I replaced all the pads, screws and bushes from the parts CD... it's amazing what the real parts look like compared to how mine was cobbled together!

When the bumper was off, I found the same story.. weak repaint of the panel under the airbox and all sorts of strange rubber grommets used to re-assemble. About 50% were the wrong part! Now all sorted...

If you want it done properly, do it yourself!

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
(Post Link) post #16 of 18 Old 08-05-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B View Post
Is there a site that lists garrages and gives reviews ?
Not that I know of, but that's a pretty good idea.
Now couple that with:
- Google maps for proximity search
- a proper directory going by car brand and/or specialty
- searchable parts catalogs from major manufacturers with prices
- standard request for quotes that you can send by email to multiple garages
- WAP and RSS feeds

... and you've got a clear winner!!!

Too bad I'm working on another project right now.
AO Member

Member car:

330i M-Sport 4dr

I am a precision engineer and we often have local garages bringing in cylinder heads to be skimmed etc but one bunch of cowboys from a small backstreet garage brought in a wheel and hub assembly off a BMW and they had broken off all 5 wheel studs while trying to remove the wheel.
They then tried welding bolts to the broken ends of the studs to try again. You can imagine what a mess that alloy wheel looked after all this.

Turns out the 'mechanic' was turning the wrench the wrong way all along!
AO Platinum Member

Local Beemer garage...?

Ralf S.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page