Right of way - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 22 Old 20-04-07 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
Right of way

Why do people think they are being helpful and polite when they wave you on when they have right of way? All it does is confuse everyone and, potentially, lead to an accident.

This morning I was waiting to turn right and there was a car coming along the road I was turning into going in the same direction. I waited for him to pass so I could turn and therefore then be behind him. What did he do? STOP and flash his lights. So now we are both sitting there like lemons. Eventually (a few seconds actually but it seemed ages) I turned and he followed me.

The same thing sometimes happens when you are driving along a narrow road and you come across some cars parked on your side which means that you have to go to the right hand side of the road if there is nothing coming towards you. What happens - some "polite" person coming in the other direction with a clear road and right of way stops and flashes his\her lights. WTF is that meant to mean - "stay where you are I am coming through" or "after you old boy - I'm in no hurry". It is only when nothing happens that you realise that you were being invited to carry on. Guess whose fault it would be if there was an accident.

If everyone took their right of way (always assuming they know what that is of course) it would lead to less confusion.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Paul.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire
Re: Right of way

and I thought I was the only one

it does bug me too, just drive your own car with care and all will be okay is my motto (well just look out for all the idiot drivers, motorcyclists, bike riders, pedaestrains, dogs, cats, birds...........)
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

I hear you Paul but it's probably a minor issues compared to the red-light jumpers et al.
(Post Link) post #4 of 22 Old 20-04-07 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
I hear you Paul but it's probably a minor issues compared to the red-light jumpers et al.
True BF - but I still contend that it is rant worthy.

Paul.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Doesn't quite work as simply as that though, does it? there are situations where, if people drove as you suggest, the result would be gridlock.
If you're in a traffic jam and someone is coming the other way and wants to turn right, would you refuse to let them across because it's your right of way? If everyone does they'll never get across, and what happens to the huge queue of traffic building up behind them?

You are right that people should think before automatically thinking the polite way is the best though. Who are they benefitting and who are they hindering? If to let one car across they have to slam their anchors on and nearly cause a pile-up behind them, that's probably a bad idea. If, on the other hand, by just not sticking like glue to the bumper of the car in front you can allow time to reduce other causes of congestion, why not?

There was a woman the other day who supported your argument - decided to stop and let a van out of a side road. Except to do so she had to stop where the road narrowed to one lane, so she was blocking it in both directions, and the van couldn't go anywhere yet anyway, as the car in front of her hadn't cleared the side road. She should have continued, even though it meant blocking the van in, allowing the main(er) road to run normally.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

"You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place."
"That's why animals are so soft and huggy."
- Calvin and Hobbes

To err is human, to moderate ursine.
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

My ex-girlfriend used to, quite a lot actually, come to a dead stop in the middle of a busy main road to let someone approaching do a right turn and she would then follow behind. For some reason, she refused to listen to me when I tried to explain exactly how dangerous it was. So, pretty much glad she's not driving me around anymore! lol.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnolan View Post
My ex-girlfriend used to, quite a lot actually, come to a dead stop in the middle of a busy main road to let someone approaching do a right turn and she would then follow behind. For some reason, she refused to listen to me when I tried to explain exactly how dangerous it was. So, pretty much glad she's not driving me around anymore! lol.

lol is that why she is your ex?!

I failed my first driving test for this reason:

I was waiting to turn right, someone approaching flashed for me to go.

Being an unskilled driver I hesitated and this guy got fed up with waiting, by the time I had brought the clutch up and started to move, so had he.

Result: near collision, the examiner went for a dual control brake pedal that wasn't there, it being my Dad's 1986 Toyota Corrolla!
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
True BF - but I still contend that it is rant worthy.

Paul.
Of course Rasp ... Paul
(Post Link) post #9 of 22 Old 20-04-07 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
Doesn't quite work as simply as that though, does it? there are situations where, if people drove as you suggest, the result would be gridlock.
If you're in a traffic jam and someone is coming the other way and wants to turn right, would you refuse to let them across because it's your right of way? If everyone does they'll never get across, and what happens to the huge queue of traffic building up behind them?
Forgive my lack of clarity - I, of course, agree with you - my point was meant to refer to those situations where everything is flowing freely but someone decides, unexpectedly, to be polite thereby confusing things.

Paul.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

No worries, I hadn't realised this was the rant room - it's perfectly acceptable to not fully explain exceptions and provisos in here
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert View Post
lol is that why she is your ex?!
No lol, the guy who is now ludicrously scared to even look at me because I know what they were up to has something to do with that!

I went on a bit of a pleasure drive this evening to pass some time and someone flashed me out at a really busy junction. Thing is, there was loads of traffic coming the other way so I didn't move and sort of made a gesture for her to carry on instead, and she got well annoyed with me!! Sorry, but I'm not gonna stick my car in the middle of a really busy junction at rush hour, waiting to get let in to the flow of traffic, or push my way in!

So nearly driven into the back of these people many times, Irrational moves like this are so dangerous
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 2.0 TS Lusso

Very annoying, as is the people who push their way through even though you have right of way
AO Member

Or people who pull out onto roundabouts when it is your right of way
AO Member

nah im all for politeness, i live on a very minor road that joins onto a very major road and in the mornings i can easily sit there for 10-15mins just waiting to turn right onto the bigger road, and have after an extended period of time taken gaps by very hard acceleration that really wouldnt be attempted under normal circumstances but my patiences had worn thin waiting and looking at teh clock.

most of teh time though at some stage when one or other lanes are clear a car in teh congested lane will stop and let me out (which is a halelujeah moment at times) and i usually return this on my way back to turn off for home by lettin someone else out who looks like theyve been there all day

2.0 TS, custom hand stitched leather and alacantra interior, custom SS system, H+R suspension upgrade
N.B
AO Member

Member car:

1975 Spider

I always think its amusing at a mini roundabout with 4 entries where 4 cars want to go staight over....all wait...then all go...then all brake hard...look at each other...all go again....swear under their breath....brake...go again...swear out loud.....hoot...and so on
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

Giulietta Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnolan View Post
This p155ies me right off! People just stop for absolutely no reason other than to let someone in/out or pedestrians cross the road where there's a zebra a few yards away!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decky View Post
i live on a very minor road that joins onto a very major road and in the mornings i can easily sit there for 10-15mins just waiting to turn right onto the bigger road
I have a similar problem and have found that winding down the window before trying to make eye contact speeds things up.

I guess it makes things a little more personal if they don't back off a little for you, or maybe if they can see you clearly looking at them for some way off they can flash you in, confident that there wont be any confusion talked of in the other posts above.

But, then there's the oncoming car that flashes you a "thank you" at night when you hang back to let them get round some parked cars. So you're thanking me by blinding me?
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

What about how people on the slip road coming onto a motorway expecting you to pull into the centre lane to allow them on, even when you don't have the room to do so?
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B View Post
I always think its amusing at a mini roundabout with 4 entries where 4 cars want to go staight over....all wait...then all go...then all brake hard...look at each other...all go again....swear under their breath....brake...go again...swear out loud.....hoot...and so on
That's why God invented "Brand Hierarchy".

A Fiat always gives way to an Alfa, Alfa gives way to Ferrari. VW gives way to Audi, Audi gives way to Merc.

BMWs give way to nobody BUT nobody also gives way to BMWs because everybody hates the *****!

Ralf S.
AO Platinum Member

A couple of years ago, a car some way in front of me was just driving along a main road and for no reason just stopped in the road, to let a car out of a side junction. Very laudible I'm sure...

However, none of the cars behind it were expecting it to just stop and so there followed a lurid selection of emergency braking.

I was almost at the back of it and managed to stop in time... but the dozy **** in the Vauxhall Astra van behind me wa going a bit too fast and spanked the rear of my motah.

Actually it was the Younger Mrs S.'s "old but otherwise tidy" Uno (aka The Battleship Potemkin") that got spanked.. and written off.

So.. "couteous" drivers...you're a Frickin' Menace! Driving without due care and consideration for the cars behind, I say..

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

What about drivers who wave to say thank you when you stopped because they had the right of way?

Or when you are forced to stop because the other driver coming the other way should have stopped because it is your right of way? Bacause of parked cars for instance.. Usually this type wave to say "Thank you" even though you had no choice but to stop...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page