drivers of convertilbes - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 59 Old 19-04-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire

Member car:

145 Cloverleaf

drivers of convertilbes

what is the point of buying a convertible if you are not going to get the roof down at every avsalable opertunity ??

its a lovely day and the amount of drop#heads i have seen drive by with the roof up is astounding !

is it just me ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: herts
Re: drivers of convertilbes

Prap's they are too costly to get working right.
Nev

You see a lot like that down here
in the summer 'cause it's too hot
for the owners.

Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

I guess it's too much bother to press the "down" button ...

Usually the other way round up here! Folks wrapped in scarves and flying helemets in the middle of winter at the first sign of sunshine!
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

ST170

How many are girlies?, J (wifey) won't even put down the windows in her car down (no A/C) when it's hot, in case her hair goes frizzy.

to avoid sexism - also how many are long haired / well groomed blokies?

But if you put the roof down, you don't get the benefit of the A/C.....

AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Was talking to my uncle about this the other day, since he has a B*W 330 cabrio that he converts at every opportunity. His theory is that most women don't know how the roof goes down (HIS, theory, not mine

I do agree that seeing cabrios with the roof up in this sort of weather is utterly absurd. Now if only I had that Spider.......

Last edited by jonwood79; 19-04-07 at 18:30. Reason: Swearing (BMW)
AO Silver Member

County: South Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
Usually the other way round up here! Folks wrapped in scarves and flying helemets in the middle of winter at the first sign of sunshine!

So true. Was following an MG TF a while ago and the young guy had the roof down and shades on with his pretty girlfriend at the side of him...nothing wrong with that...except it was hammering it down with rain at the time and I was in hysterics as the bloody fool never pulled over to put the roof up but carried on driving along ( it was probably stuck and he was trying to get home ).
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Roof closed, Toupe on, roof open, Brown that egg! Most blokes round here, with big flash covertibles, ain't got no fuzz on top!
AO Member

I don't think that this applies to the hardy breed of classic convertibles.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAlfa View Post
what is the point of buying a convertible if you are not going to get the roof down at every avsalable opertunity ??

its a lovely day and the amount of drop#heads i have seen drive by with the roof up is astounding !

is it just me ???
Yes, it's just you, but that's okay. You're forgiven. You're still new here and you're still learning. Just don't let it happen again.

I used to be as adamant as you are about people putting the top down whenever possible, but since owning one I've cut back on my militarism.

I have to say there are times when I leave the roof up. Often they're when I'm taking the car out for a milk run and I know it is going to take me more time to play with the roof [take the roof down (in my garage), put the roof up (in the parking lot), take the roof down (in the parking lot) and put the roof up (in my garage)] that it actually takes me to drive to the store and purchase my milk.

Keep in mind taking the top down involves slightly more than pushing a button. It also rolling and stuffing towels, checking that the material folded properly and sometimes fighting with reluctant clips (although that's more a battle when closing the roof). Besides the clips, putting the top back up usually involves playing with the manual windows as I'm stretched across the width of the car and making sure that the windows aren't pinching the interior part of the roof.

I don't always put the roof up when I leave it parked. It depends on the parking lot, the location, the feeling I get from the people around at the time, the weather, the time of day, etc. Sometimes it is just easier to leave it down.

The odd time that I'm forced to take the spider when I've got a business meeting, I tend not to put the roof down until after I'm done working. There is just no way that I can make myself look presentable enough to conduct business after a wind-whipping buzz down the 401. It's just not possible.

Now all that said the roof is down for the vast majority of the time the car is on the road.
--Toronto
Global Mod Team

County: British Columbia
Garage

Yep what TS said, no button for the roof until the weather gets a lot better, the roof goes down when I have the time. (usually after work )

Leave the roof open and down all summer with the boot cover on, saves lifting it back up. (garaged at night of course)

Was asked by a colleague if I was worried about my leather seats fading in the sun, she never took her roof down cause of this fear
AO Member

I'm with CG on this one.
AO Member

Always have the roof down, even though my girls get frozen. Years ago when I had a Herald, the roof didn't actually work so It was down in all weathers, including one particularly cold winter when it snowed.

At least the heater worked.
AO Silver Member

County: Edinburgh

To expand a bit on Toronto Spider's point, there are six reasons why it's OK to drive your convertible with the roof up:

- using the motorway
- security
- too hot, rather use air con
- short journey not warranting dropping the top
- need to look presentable at the other end of the journey
- stuff in cabin that might blow away

Personally I tend to have the roof down most of the time, although that's because I only really use the convertible for journeys where I know none of the above apply.

And I have driven it in the rain quite happily - as long as you can stay above about 15mph the airflow keeps the rain off. Until the traffic lights.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

no offense, but - looks aside - the whole convertible thing is just so lost on me. My mate used to have a few Merc SL convertibles and more recently an Audi A4 convertible. I just don't get the appeal from a driver/passenger perspective. The wind, the noise, the windnoise, the scuttle shake, the vulnerability, the '90% of the time we're better with the roof up' reality...what's all that about then?

Granted, there are some beautiful looking convertibles - many of which are Alfas - but that's as far as I'm able to enjoy them. Again, no offence meant.

g

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

All those things you mentioned, g -- the noise and the vulnerability and the scuttleshake and the wind and the entire feeling of being part of the driving process, and not being cocooned in an experience-stealing steel and glass cage -- that's what make a convertible worth driving. You can smell the air, feel the warmth of the sun, hear the traffic on the road before you can see it.

As you've often posted, most of the time driving isn't about hooning around in a car pushed to (and beyond) its limits. It's about making an average drive a good, spirited event. That's what a convertible does. Admittedly some comfort is sacrificed, but what you get in return is more than enough compensation for what you give up.
--Toronto
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAlfa View Post

is it just me ???
I so agree with you, if you have a convertible then use it
AO Silver Member

County: Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudetto View Post
no offense, but - looks aside - the whole convertible thing is just so lost on me.
For an everyday car, I think you're spot on.

But for a run out on a nice day with the sun shining, when you properly hear the exhaust and you smell the fresh air, it's a much more interactive thing altogether.

Sometimes, on some journeys, a convertible can make you part of the environment, whereas with a fixed roof you're just driving through it. There are roads that I loved in my integrale, trying to go a bit quicker each time - in the RZ the same road can be much more enjoyable by going slower and taking more in.

But you're right that for a day-to-day slog in all seasons, a convertible is rarely the best choice - which is probably why the current crop of coupe-convertibles are so popular.

I'm not trying to tell you you're wrong, though, and I'm absolutely not offended by your point of view - it wouldn't be much of a discussion forum without discussion.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Tor and Jamieboy;

On one hand, I reallty do get it, 100%; when I ride my 'exposed' mountain bike, I agree that the smells and sounds are amplified when compared to being cocooned in car. Amplified so much in fact, that the whole experience of riding makes me feel alive. I fully understand how that's the appeal of a convertible, and it is a very special feeling indeed.

But, on a personal level, for me this doesn't transfer as well to a car, when you need to use it day in, day out, and do more than 30mph.

Again, it is just horses for courses. Maybe I should just stick with my bike, lol.

g
AO Silver Member

County: South Yorkshire

I am a convertable hater too. Nothing against anyone who buys one and agree that some of the most stunning cars on the planet and sans roof....but, for me, convertables just dont feel...well...right

I have only been in a few as a passenger and the first one I drove was the Alfa Spider on the Alfa Experience last Year. It felt odd and I was very uneasy in it. I just dont like not having a roof above my head.

I am dont feel vunerable or anything or worried about what would happen in an accident, I just dont feel right in them. I wonder if it is some strange mediacl condition and if it has a name

'I got my violence in high def ultra realism'
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

Scudetto, as both you and jamie pointed out, a convertible -- especially an older one without any of the modern conveniences -- isn't likely going to be most people's first (or only choice) in automobiles. I know I certainly wouldn't rely on my spider as my only driver. Now if it was one of those hard top, fancy, up-to-date hardtop convertibles with a real glass window (and rear defroster), or if I lived in a climate without winter I could easily see myself re-evaluating my choice of cars.

I've been fortunate enough to be in the position to run a second car, classic car, and in that position, a convertible will always be high on my list of things to buy. It's for having fun and for having an enjoyable driving experience. For that a convertible can't be beat -- at 30 mph or above. Yes I travel the highways with the top down (or the sunroof open in the Chevy).
--Toronto

Last edited by Toronto Spider; 20-04-07 at 20:13.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason 156 View Post
I am a convertable hater too. Nothing against anyone who buys one and agree that some of the most stunning cars on the planet and sans roof....but, for me, convertables just dont feel...well...right

I have only been in a few as a passenger and the first one I drove was the Alfa Spider on the Alfa Experience last Year. It felt odd and I was very uneasy in it. I just dont like not having a roof above my head.

I am dont feel vunerable or anything or worried about what would happen in an accident, I just dont feel right in them. I wonder if it is some strange mediacl condition and if it has a name
Your reaction doesn't surprise me in the least. Not having a roof can take a bit of getting used to, but once you do, you'll never go back.
--Toronto
AO Platinum Member

I travelled from Durham to Loch Ness with the top down

There's nothing liike a convertible - especially on a starry night

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page