Bernard Matthews - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 23 Old 19-04-07 Thread Starter
Status: zzzzzzzz
AO Platinum Member
 
symon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 37,082
Hmmm Bernard Matthews

I can't believe what I heard on the radio this morning... Bernard Matthews is to be paid compensation by the government for all the Turkeys they had to kill because of the bird flu outbreak.

Am I missing something here? Was it not their fault that it happened in the first place? They were importing infected Turkeys.

This country is well and truely fecked..
symon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: The BSD says konnichiwa
Global Mod Team
 
BigFoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Japan
County: Tokyo
Posts: 114,689
Re: Bernard Matthews

They are trying to save jobs I think.

You may agree with that or not, but I think that's the intent.
BigFoot is offline  
(Post Link) post #3 of 23 Old 19-04-07 Thread Starter
Status: zzzzzzzz
AO Platinum Member
 
symon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 37,082
Re: Bernard Matthews

Thing is they are getting 6 hundreds of thousand pounds. I know the government has paid money to companies to save jobs before but I question the figures involved here.
It would be cheaper to to pay the employees dole money for a few weeks than to bail out Bernard M.

Simon.

Last edited by symon; 19-04-07 at 11:17.
symon is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
mojo_jojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 912

Member car:

156 JTS Veloce

Re: Bernard Matthews

Just "bootiful"....
mojo_jojo is offline  
JFK
Status: Mildy confused, becoming moderately later
AO Member
 
JFK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 471
Re: Bernard Matthews

Lets hope it gets taken back and more in back in fines for the poor state of the building - there were large holes in the wooden structures - believed to have been caused by rats....
JFK is offline  
Status: I'm not really here
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Club Member Number: 59
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 76,942
Garage
Re: Bernard Matthews

he can get stuffed


this really gives me the bird



he has some neck

wattle they think of next?
steveisfrowning is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Big Jon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: United Kingdom
County: Antrim
Posts: 2,994
Re: Bernard Matthews

I suspect fowl play.




Can I just grab my coat on the way out?
Big Jon is offline  
Status: I'm not really here
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Club Member Number: 59
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 76,942
Garage
Re: Bernard Matthews

better had, before the feathers start to fly
steveisfrowning is offline  
Status: The BSD says konnichiwa
Global Mod Team
 
BigFoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Japan
County: Tokyo
Posts: 114,689
Re: Bernard Matthews

You guys


BigFoot is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Big Jon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: United Kingdom
County: Antrim
Posts: 2,994
Re: Bernard Matthews

I suppose killing off all those turkeys gobbled up all their profits
Big Jon is offline  
Status: I'm not really here
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Club Member Number: 59
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 76,942
Garage
Re: Bernard Matthews

i just couldn't decide whether to use gobble in this thread or in Biggie's sex thread

either way, tis a poultry matter
steveisfrowning is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Big Jon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: United Kingdom
County: Antrim
Posts: 2,994
Re: Bernard Matthews

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveisfrowning View Post
i just couldn't decide whether to use gobble in this thread or in Biggie's sex thread

either way, tis a poultry matter
Ah, you chickened out.
Big Jon is offline  
Status: I'm not really here
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Club Member Number: 59
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 76,942
Garage
Re: Bernard Matthews

stop grousing
steveisfrowning is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Big Jon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: United Kingdom
County: Antrim
Posts: 2,994
Re: Bernard Matthews

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveisfrowning View Post
stop grousing
Any more of your lip and you'd better duck for cover.
Big Jon is offline  
Status: -
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 196
Re: Bernard Matthews

Think it's time to call fowl play on this thread.

Still money goes to money as they say around here.
Palmer is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Big Jon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: United Kingdom
County: Antrim
Posts: 2,994
Re: Bernard Matthews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
Think it's time to call fowl play on this thread.

Still money goes to money as they say around here.
Yeah, I was runing out of fowl related jokes anyway so I'd have been goosed.


Oh! Wait....

Big Jon is offline  
(Post Link) post #17 of 23 Old 19-04-07 Thread Starter
Status: zzzzzzzz
AO Platinum Member
 
symon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 37,082
Re: Bernard Matthews

Well I hope you all have a pheasant day..


I'll Start the car.
symon is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maidstone, Kent
Posts: 264

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

Re: Bernard Matthews

My understanding is that the compensation scheme is in place to help encourage companies to come forward early if they suspect infection. I think its a fair enough scheme, because the way everything is getting (and quite rightly so, in some respects) if you say bird flu within about 100m of any stock - there pretty much all gonna be dead before you've had time to blink.
chrisnolan is offline  
alfafamily
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bernard Matthews

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnolan View Post
My understanding is that the compensation scheme is in place to help encourage companies to come forward early if they suspect infection. I think its a fair enough scheme, because the way everything is getting (and quite rightly so, in some respects) if you say bird flu within about 100m of any stock - there pretty much all gonna be dead before you've had time to blink.
That could be open to abuse if they kill the stock before they check for the infection. Get yourself a shed full of old chickens shout bird flu and collect the cash.
 
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maidstone, Kent
Posts: 264

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

Re: Bernard Matthews

Now, where to get me about 160k old birds? (Could go round the street corners of all the major cities i guess? lol)
chrisnolan is offline  
alfafamily
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bernard Matthews

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnolan View Post
Now, where to get me about 160k old birds? (Could go round the street corners of all the major cities i guess? lol)
Or we could just pool our address books
 
AlfaLincs
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bernard Matthews

The compensation is indeed an inducement for farmers to come clean without fear of loss..but it does have consquences that make you feel pretty angry.

In the foot and mouth outbreak a few years back many farmers worked really hard to keep their farms and their stock clean and clear of infection and isolated. They got nothing. The farms that had lots of stock movement that spread the disease through poor hygiene and had their stock culled got compensated handsomely..enabling them to get out of loss making dairy and beef cattle and into something more remunerative..be it golf courses, or becoming a diversified activity 'tourist farm' etc.

Sometimes it makes yer blood boil its so unfair.

AlfaLincs
 
alfafamily
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bernard Matthews

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaLincs View Post
The compensation is indeed an inducement for farmers to come clean without fear of loss..but it does have consquences that make you feel pretty angry.

In the foot and mouth outbreak a few years back many farmers worked really hard to keep their farms and their stock clean and clear of infection and isolated. They got nothing. The farms that had lots of stock movement that spread the disease through poor hygiene and had their stock culled got compensated handsomely..enabling them to get out of loss making dairy and beef cattle and into something more remunerative..be it golf courses, or becoming a diversified activity 'tourist farm' etc.

Sometimes it makes yer blood boil its so unfair.

AlfaLincs
I hadn't realized that. Its not just unfair, its an absolute disgrace, and unfortunately it's just the sort of **** that is meted out to the honest and hard working people of Britain on a regular basis.
Boiling blood here too AlfaLincs
 
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome