Caught speeding - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 28 Old 15-04-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

159 1.9.jtdm

Caught speeding

Just wanted to vent about this, I got cought at 36mph in a 30 on one of my bikes last week. Now i know i broke the law but really 6mph give it up and to make it worse i read in the press that I'm going to have to pay an additional 15 on top of the fine to a battered wife fund, how does that work does that mean i can give the misses a slap now or what.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Antrim

Member car:

Re: Caught speeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stui147 View Post
i read in the press that I'm going to have to pay an additional 15 on top of the fine to a battered wife fund, how does that work does that mean i can give the misses a slap now or what.
Yes, yes it does
AO Silver Member

County: Staffordshire

Member car:

Merc S320

Apparently the extra fine is to teach you that crime doesn't pay
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

I'll speed just so I can hit the wife.
(Post Link) post #5 of 28 Old 15-04-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

159 1.9.jtdm

I'm going to take orders for all my mates wifes just to get my moneys worth
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

One big revenue making exercise. Mobile speed camera on the motorway by me most days. The motorway section has three lanes either way, and I have never even seen an accident let alone a hold up.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire

I beat my wife all the time, never paid anything for the privilege of it
Nev

Quote:
Just wanted to vent about this, I got cought at 36mph in a 30 on one of my bikes last week. Now i know i broke the law but really 6mph give it up and to make it worse i read in the press that I'm going to have to pay an additional £15 on top of the fine to a battered wife fund, how does that work does that mean i can give the misses a slap now or what.
At 30 if you hit a kid there is a 90% chance they'll live.
At 40 it's a 90% chance they'll die.

Just be glad the UK legal system isn't as bad
as the US. The judges dole out all sorts
of additional punishments on a whim over there.

wrinx

Quote:
...i read in the press that I'm going to have to pay an additional 15 on top of the fine to a battered wife fund
That's a new one on me

Nothing to do with speeding either....another tax by the sounds of it

wrinx

mikebrown

not heard of it either...how can they levy a tax against a battered wife fund when you have been caught speeding...it dosen't make sense

AO Silver Member

County: Staffordshire

Member car:

Merc S320

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrown View Post
not heard of it either...how can they levy a tax against a battered wife fund when you have been caught speeding...it dosen't make sense
It's todo with you being a wicked, hardened criminal who should contribute to victims funds
AO Member

Yep, a real pain to get done for that. Ive collected a total of 9 points over the years for 36 in a 30, 46 in a 40 and 37 in a 30. I know I should have learned and thankfully I havent had points for 2 years. In some ways I think the 9 ive earned are karma for those times when I exceeded the limit bigtime and didn't get caught. Similarly,its probably payback for the £20 fine (long time ago) from a very nice police officer who let me off even though he'd clocked me at an average 97 (motorway, nice day, new car etc etc!) Hey I thought the unmarked lotus carlton was racing me!
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 25
County: Shropshire

There's a lot of fuss about this new 'add-on' tax.

Applies to everything going through courts, including speeding fines, but doesn't apply to people like Murderers and Rapists. Good logic there.

Apparently a Magistrates court has got into hot water, or will be soon, because they refused to apply the charge.

As a so called 'stealth tax', IMO it would be much more stealthy if they just added the £15 onto the fine and didn't advertise it as being a seperate charge!
N.B
AO Member

Member car:

1975 Spider

If your single you could look at it as an investment .Puting something aside for when your married
AO Silver Member

Member car:

A big black car.

Do you get a rebate if your wife hits you first?
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
At 30 if you hit a kid there is a 90% chance they'll live.
At 40 it's a 90% chance they'll die.
(This is off topic, but I thought it was quite good when I saw it)
While that may be true, if you had been doing 40 instead of 30 when you hit the kid, you would have been long gone down the road before they stepped out (assuming events occur exactly the same, bar speed) avoiding the accident ever occurring. And vice-versa, had you been doing 30 instead of 40, you would have, most likely, been able to take evasive action to avoid the incident.

But, speed restrictions are there for a reason particularly in built-up residential areas. Motorways on the other hand, should be 80 (even that government working group agrees!)
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnolan View Post
(This is off topic, but I thought it was quite good when I saw it)
While that may be true, if you had been doing 40 instead of 30 when you hit the kid, you would have been long gone down the road before they stepped out (assuming events occur exactly the same, bar speed) avoiding the accident ever occurring. And vice-versa, had you been doing 30 instead of 40, you would have, most likely, been able to take evasive action to avoid the incident.

You logic is flawed mate.

There is no "timescale".

Hit 'em at 40: You'll probably kill 'em.
Hit 'em at 30. They'll probably live through it.

It's got nothing to do with when they step into the road.
Just assume they do, at the wrong moment, and you hit them.

You don't go around saying: "I only put my seatbelt on just before
I have an accident." Do you?

Last edited by BigFoot; 17-04-07 at 01:01. Reason: edited language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howell811 View Post
One big revenue making exercise. Mobile speed camera on the motorway by me most days. The motorway section has three lanes either way, and I have never even seen an accident let alone a hold up.
Know that one alright, pass it most days.
Never seen a accident there either, but seen many close one's as people swerve and brake behind slower cars to avoid the camera.
I think it's run by the "Road Safety partnership group" Having a I think.
To all car lovers, stay away from Bridgend (South Wales) as there very keen on catching speeders and have reduced the speed limit of many roads in that area and added fustrating traffic control systems in a aim to help them do just that.

Stui147 be as big a pain in the Wenger as you can be with this, make them chase you up and write back to them in a mature way asking for details etc. If you've got to pay, make them work for it.
Cheers
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
You logic is flawed mate.

You don't go around saying: "I only put my seatbelt on just before
I have an accident." Do you?
It was something someone mentioned to me a while ago at uni, but wasn't paying much attention. It just came to my head when I read that as haven't seen that ad for ages now.

But like you say mate, regardless of timing or whatever, chances are someone is gonna just step out at the wrong time. And the statistics speak for themselves, which is why the 30 limit is there for residential areas in particular.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Just wanted to vent about this, I got cought at 36mph in a 30 on one of my bikes last week. Now i know i broke the law but really 6mph give it up and to make it worse i read in the press that I'm going to have to pay an additional 15 on top of the fine to a battered wife fund, how does that work does that mean i can give the misses a slap now or what.
I'm assuming you got one of those fixed penalty notices through the post so you won't pay the extra 15. The extra fine/tax is only applied to fines handed out by the courts.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhollywood View Post
Yep, a real pain to get done for that. Ive collected a total of 9 points over the years for 36 in a 30, 46 in a 40 and 37 in a 30. I know I should have learned and thankfully I havent had points for 2 years. In some ways I think the 9 ive earned are karma for those times when I exceeded the limit bigtime and didn't get caught. Similarly,its probably payback for the 20 fine (long time ago) from a very nice police officer who let me off even though he'd clocked me at an average 97 (motorway, nice day, new car etc etc!) Hey I thought the unmarked lotus carlton was racing me!
Blimey, 9 points. Where have you been caught? I've only had the three so far (and that was nearly 6 years ago now) but I've had a couple of near misses.

If you're ever out Whiteabbey direction just be careful on the Station Road from the Shore Road up to the Doagh Road (past the hospital) as the cops were at the top of the hill, last Friday, in a side street with the handheld laser. The road is 30mph limit but it's such a wide road everyone must assume it's more. Cops are there regularly (in both directions).
AlfaLincs

"
Apparently a Magistrates court has got into hot water, or will be soon, because they refused to apply the charge. "

More than that, the Magistrate who refused to apply it has resigned the bench. I've no doubt he/she was an honest person doing their very best and feeling the law has been manipulated one step too far.

No doubt they will appoint a compliant bench and write a nice thankyou letter to the one who has resigned. In effect they have been sacked because they would not allow their legal principals to be hijacked for political ends.

AlfaLincs (3 points..2 years down, one to go)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaLincs View Post

AlfaLincs (3 points..2 years down, one to go)
I thought they lasted 5 years?
N.B
AO Member

Member car:

1975 Spider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredshaza View Post
Do you get a rebate if your wife hits you first?
Depends if she hits you at 30mph or at 40 mph !
AlfaLincs

To Pug 101

"Q: How long do the points stay on my licence?
A: Any points on your licence will stay there for a minimum of three years. However, the points remain on your licence for a further 12 months at which time you may then apply to the DVLA to have them removed. Any further prosecutions during the initial three-year period will therefore be added to the existing points

From Northants Police website.

Some offences put them on your licence for longer though.

AlfaLincs

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page