This bloody country - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 63 Old 12-04-07 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

This bloody country

Two rants here. Number one, WTF is wrong with people? I parked my car in town on Saturday night and came back to it on Sunday morning to find a big dent and a foot mark in the driver's door. Someone has just come along and given it a big kick. Who would do something like that?

Number two/three. Have just moved house and got a visit from the guy who developed the properties to say that we can't park in front of our garage as it spoils people's view. I really can't see how looking at the white front of a garage door is any worse than looking at a red MX-5, but I've no doubt one of the neighbours complained as they seem to be the "ooh, he's not obeying the rules despite how ridiculous the rules are" sort of people.

Apparently the one allotted space and the garage were part of the house sale, but he kept hold of the gravelled area in front of the garages and between all the houses, so we are parking on his land. The garage is full of stuff and apart from that, it's not really practical to have my girlfriend opening the squeaky garage door at six every morning. I'm tempted to use the garage, but keep the door open just to annoy everyone. As it is, I'm probably just going to have to fight for space in the village square round the corner despite having space outside my house. I don't really want to have my car out of sight either after what happened on Saturday.

I then thought I ought to check with the letting agents to warn them I'm going to put a Sky dish up, only to be told that the property is leasehold and there's a clause saying that you can't have a sky dish. Apart from the fact that the digital dishes aren't the eyesores the analogue ones were, I'd say it was a fairly basic requirement to want Sky. I mean WTF? How precious are these people? Can't anyone accept that being part of a community means that there will be a certain amount of colour and dare I say it, noise? They seem to have some sort of sterile vision of a village close.

If I'd known all this before we'd moved, I'd have given it some serious thought. Having now gone through all the pain of moving though, I really don't think I can go through it all again, but I want to be happy where I live.

1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Ex 95 164 TS Super, 95 164 QV, 97 164 V6 Super all very much missed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

Re: This bloody country

LOL i know what your going through,is it a new estate?on ours we werent even allowed tv aerials on the outside they had to be hidden in the loft,no dishes either but its all calmed down now,after a while sky dishes were popping up all over the place
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Can you get cable instead of Sky?
(Post Link) post #4 of 63 Old 12-04-07 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonersele
LOL i know what your going through,is it a new estate?
Sort of, it's a new conversion of a sawmills in a builder's yard, but it's in a very old village.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
Can you get cable instead of Sky?
Unfortunately not. We can get freeview, but we don't get the greatest reception!
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Pi$$ed up d1ckheads at the weekend think all kinds of tw4tish acts are cool and funny !!

String them up I say !!
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex

Member car:

widebody sud ti

im sorry to hear about the dent in your car but there are a lot of idiots about now that find it funny to damage things ,my brother years ago had a alfa 33 we parked in a side road and went to a nightclub when he came back to his car someone had run right across it and also about a year ago someone done the same thing to my 145 cloverleaf which ****ed me off and put a dent in the bonnet if only i could have caught the person and given him a good slap but then i would be in trouble for hitting him but thats the thing nowadays they know they can get away with it we are no longer great britain more like chav britain.
AO Silver Member

County: Gloucestershire

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgers_nadgers View Post
Apparently the one allotted space and the garage were part of the house sale, but he kept hold of the gravelled area in front of the garages and between all the houses, so we are parking on his land.
Does this mean you might not have right of access to your garage?
alfafamily

I would put the car in the garage as late at night as possible and slam the door, up at six, same again.
The country is fine it's the infestation of pests thats the problem.

AO Platinum Member

County: herts

It's all gone to the dogs mates! Now they are going to let them loose, hopin' they ain't got Rabies. So we'll all get bit, go Mad, and Die, in the not too distant future.

Last edited by zulu ferret; 13-04-07 at 05:58.
mikebrown

you've not had much luck badger...hope you get it sorted soon dude

alfafamily

Yes best of luck with it Badger, your [email protected] neighbours must be very sad people.

On the subject of this country and going to the dogs, here is what happened to a friend of mine. Last Saturday night she spotted a rottweiler roaming around on the mainroad of town, so she took it to the police station only to be told to take it home or set it free again as they didn't want it. She refused to do either and told the desk guy that she was going to tie it to the door handle of the station which she then did under threat of arrest(goodness knows what charge). The desk copper then proceeded to untie the dog but realized the error of his ways when told the whole proceedings had been recorded on a mobile phone.
Public 1 Foolish copper 0.

wrinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfafamily View Post
...or set it free again as they didn't want it.
Had something similar here, found a dog (Staffy cross I think) that was a bit temperamental and snappy, didn't feel that I could trust it (and I have three dogs, including a Staffy!) so reported it to the Police.

They said bring it down to the station as their Officers aren't insured to deal with dogs...huh??? I said there's no way I'm getting in a car with the dog and had to walk it three miles to the station...or let it go again!!! Despite my challenge about the danger of letting a "dangerous" dog roam the streets, they would have none if it.

Thankfully it was well behaved on lead and they took him in.

wrinx

AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire

this is all very sad. What complete tosh on your housing problems and as for the damage to your car - bl00dy morons!
Nev

All are always welcome down here.

Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Sorry to hear the rant badgers
GT.Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinx View Post
Had something similar here, found a dog (Staffy cross I think) that was a bit temperamental and snappy, didn't feel that I could trust it (and I have three dogs, including a Staffy!) so reported it to the Police.

They said bring it down to the station as their Officers aren't insured to deal with dogs...huh??? I said there's no way I'm getting in a car with the dog and had to walk it three miles to the station...or let it go again!!! Despite my challenge about the danger of letting a "dangerous" dog roam the streets, they would have none if it.

Thankfully it was well behaved on lead and they took him in.

wrinx
They should have referred you to the council dog warden, shameful they didnt.

If an elderly lady has a puncture at the side of the road, officers are not even allowed to assist in changing the wheel (in theory) as they are not covered. World has gone crazy.

Sorry about the car Badge, nowt worse. I'd rather fall and skin me knee than have someone do that to any of my precious'.

As for the housing probs: Well I don't have a lot of sympathy for you there mate. You should have read the conditions. I recently backed out of a house purchase (cost me £1500 quid deposit) because of some of the conditions which quite frankly were ridiculous giving the location of the house (next to my sailing club, adjacent to a Loch). I wasn't allowed to keep a boat on the premises!! And, wait for this one, if and when I ever sold the house on I was obliged to include all the conditions of the original sale. If not I'd be laible to pay the original developer £5,000 penalty. Luckily for me I had a fine and diligent (Alfa owning) lawyer...ta much NSJ.
(Post Link) post #18 of 63 Old 13-04-07 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Cheers for that guys glad to know I'm not the only one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
As for the housing probs: Well I don't have a lot of sympathy for you there mate. You should have read the conditions.
Had I been purchasing the house, I probably would have done. Unfortunately I'm renting, so didn't get to read any of them. And whether I should have read them or not, it doesn't stop them from being ridiculous!

Quote:
Cheers for that guys glad to know I'm not the only one!

Had I been purchasing the house, I probably would have done. Unfortunately I'm renting, so didn't get to read any of them. And whether I should have read them or not, it doesn't stop them from being ridiculous!
They may well be ridiculous in your opinion but you accept them when you sign on. I know it's frustrating but many of these daft rules can be to the advantage of the development as a whole. Leaving a smart Alfa Romeo outside is one thing, but how about a beat up tow truck or a scabbie caravan? I'm not getting at you badge, as you can see from my earlier post it cost me dear to get out of a deal where the conditions didn't suit.

I also remember living in an estate many moons ago which had rules about fence/hedge heights caravans etc all of which were ignored and never challenged. the place looks a mess now: 15 ft Leylandia, weird and wonderful wall claddings, inappropriate sat dishes.

But I know where you're coming from, I get the snooty comments from my neighbour about leaving my wee boat in the drive over the winter..I just smile and ask how the rust is coming along on her husband's MGB, which is left in her drive!
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Quote:
Two rants here. Number one, WTF is wrong with people? I parked my car in town on Saturday night and came back to it on Sunday morning to find a big dent and a foot mark in the driver's door. Someone has just come along and given it a big kick. Who would do something like that?
Sorry to hear about this

The world is full of morons
(Post Link) post #21 of 63 Old 13-04-07 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Just had Chips Away round and they say there's nothing they can do, so it will have to be panel beaten. With a 300 quid excess, it's not going to be cheap whatever it is. Add that to the fact that I need a new radiator, egr solenoid, thermostat, lambda, the suspension is making a horrendous noise and I've just moved house and need a couple of items of furniture and this is not going to be a cheap few months.
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Bummer badgers, not a good thing
alfafamily

Quote:
Just had Chips Away round and they say there's nothing they can do, so it will have to be panel beaten. With a 300 quid excess, it's not going to be cheap whatever it is. Add that to the fact that I need a new radiator, egr solenoid, thermostat, lambda, the suspension is making a horrendous noise and I've just moved house and need a couple of items of furniture and this is not going to be a cheap few months.
Badger, for a dented door I think you need Dentmaster or Dent Devil etc. Don't chips away just do paint repair?
Hope you get sorted for as little as poss.

Hi Bagders

Having read your post it made me feel so wound up for you. Sorry to hear that some mindless t055er had damaged your pride and joy, Wish i could get my hands on then for you.

As to the house i see both your side of the frustration which i completely agree with you most of the rules are ridiculous but also see the point that Will makes about the place eventually looking shabby, But at the end of the day if it was your neighbours who complained they obviousely nothing better to do with boring mundane lives than to "Spy/Watch/Grass/ Complain" etc etc.
Give them summat to moan about, Go crap on their driveway then call the developer and complain about the mess they've made!!
Second thoughts best not!!!!

Best of luck with everything.
(Post Link) post #25 of 63 Old 13-04-07 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfafamily View Post
Badger, for a dented door I think you need Dentmaster or Dent Devil etc. Don't chips away just do paint repair?
Hope you get sorted for as little as poss.
He said they do do dents, but because the dent goes along one of the 'chines', apparently it'll need a panel beater.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page