Undertaking - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 80 Old 04-04-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 Veloce

Madness Undertaking

Ok, I know this is contentious issue and also a Jeremy Clarkson bugbear, but do any of you ever undertake middle laners? Around London people are terrible at hogging the middle lane. The other day I came round the M25 after the M4 turnoff, 6 lanes and there was one chap sat in the 5th lane with no other cars around him. I undertook him at great speed, looked in the mirror expecting him to take the hint and move over, but no.

Same happened on the M3 going into London - no one on the motorway except one guy in the middle lane - same undertake, same lack of response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BlueEvo2

Re: Undertaking

I think it's OK, yes. It really does depend on the situation; like you say it's often the case that people stay out even when there are several free lanes betwen them and the hard shoulder.

I did flash one guy out of the way who was doing this, and he duly moved in, and then back out again when I'd passed him

AO Platinum Member

County: herts

This title had me on tenterhooks! Thought I needed to refer to my Funeral Directors Manual again. (Got One.) Honestly.
(Post Link) post #4 of 80 Old 04-04-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 Veloce

Yeah, I've tried flashing lights at them but with a 50/50 success rate. When you actually get busy traffic, this sort of behaviour causes congestion, with everyone queing up in the outside lane - maybe the Gov should consider allowing undertaking, as in America. Seems to work...
(Post Link) post #5 of 80 Old 04-04-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 Veloce

Take your point Zulu, it is dangerous, I just get frustrated sometimes!
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

If the road's empty, I'll exaggeratedly pull out from the inside lane to the outside lane, then pull across them to the inside lane again. They don't seem to notice, but at least it makes me feel like I've made a point. However, if someone's blocking a lane, after giving them a few chances to pull over, I tend to undertake.
AO Platinum Member

I was a funeral director at points in the past. So was really just being totally honest, with a bit of a lighthearted? flavour. But should anyone respectfully require information on this unusual subject, please ask. No, I don't wish to compete wth Wikepedia or other internet stuff you can access. My manual is a bit dated, although most of it could still apply I suppose?:
(Post Link) post #8 of 80 Old 04-04-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 Veloce

Cheese Re: Undertaking

Done that too!

Zulu, sorry, only just got the joke - jeez i'm slow today!

but dont the americans carry guns? if you dont pull out the way who knows?
the thing that i have done after queing in the outside lane for ten minutes at 70mph ;-) is to pull in in front of the middle laner (who is blinkered with neck vertebrae fusion) and ease off the gas so as to sloww them down so that they actually have to think about overtaking me, this means that they have got to look in their mirrors to pull out into the 70mph outside lane. on commencing their move i can pull away succesfully and the no brainer has thought and used mirrors. satisfaction guaranteed.
AO Platinum Member

I dunno, what with the war's here and there, and festering motorways, them Pearly Gates don't seem too distant. In my case natural causes maybe, but if not, had a good interesting life pretty much ready for the 'off'
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Too many fcukwits about on our roads now - includidng sitting in the right hand lane of a dual carriageway - so if I can't go past them on the right I go past on the left rather than sit there for fecking miles and miles !!

To$$ers... the lot of 'em !!
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

I have no issue with undertaking. It works well in the states and on the M6 / M40 & M42
AO Platinum Member

I'd agree with that one Sqn.If people use their mirrors correctly, why not?:
(Post Link) post #14 of 80 Old 04-04-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 Veloce

I guess that's the problem - people who sit there don't know what the ***** is going on around them, so i guess they don't use their mirrors, suggesting they might just pull in on you without looking!
AO Platinum Member

That is the 'Dodgy' bit with those dozzy blinkered types, never know what they'll do next?
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Have just returned home from London and witnessed some truly dozy driving all round. Mostly people sat out in the 'fast' lane overtaking nothing at all, and also regrettably a lovely new 147 Ti driven by an older gentleman. Was alongside him at a roundabout and he just sailed out onto it without looking right, causing an oncoming Skoda to brake violently.

Glad to get home in once piece, that sort of day. But to get back on topic, I admit to undertaking a bit on the way home, and also being undertaken several times whilst I was stuck behind someone in a lane they shouldn't have been in.
(Post Link) post #17 of 80 Old 04-04-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 Veloce

Not sure if this is true or not, but I tend to find sitting in middle/outside lanes and undertaking is a lot more commonplace in the South East/M25 circular? I visit Lancashire a lot and people seem to be much better behaved...(that's not a general slur on Southern drivers I hasten to add!)
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

I never undertake and hate those id1ots that though.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

I had to Undertake the other day. I was following a woman down a clear dual carriageway. She was doing 60mph in the outside lane, even though both were clear. I undertook carefully though, incase she decided to change lanes as I was alongside.
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgers_nadgers View Post
If the road's empty, I'll exaggeratedly pull out from the inside lane to the outside lane, then pull across them to the inside lane again. They don't seem to notice, but at least it makes me feel like I've made a point. However, if someone's blocking a lane, after giving them a few chances to pull over, I tend to undertake.
I do the same, sometimes with some flashes of the lights thrown in for good measure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry1 View Post
Not sure if this is true or not, but I tend to find sitting in middle/outside lanes and undertaking is a lot more commonplace in the South East/M25 circular?
Interesting. The worst place I have experienced lane-hogging is on the M8 between Glasgow and Edinburgh and always thought it was a peculiarly Central Scotland afflication.
wrinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
I never undertake and hate those id1ots that though.
Steady on

I undertake when necessary...usually because some numpty won't move over.

wrinx

Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Well, I just don't.

If the numpties don't move over, give 'em a falsh of the lights. It's just too dangerous IMO, as 9 times out of 10 the ones that undertake are actually zig-zagging through traffic, at least that's what I see.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

I know what you mean BF, the zigzaggers are driving terribly, and seem very dangerous. These are the ones who undertake someone who is actually overtaking, and sooner or later they'll cause a terrible accident.

There's a great difference though between that behaviour and the people who sit patiently behind a moving roadblock - who is overtaking no-one - and eventually decide to undertake.
(Post Link) post #24 of 80 Old 04-04-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 Veloce

Nah, zig-zagging is almost as bad! I'm talking about undertaking the odd one or two on relatively quiet m/ways, not becoming one of the eejets that think they can weave through heavy traffic!

and more often than not the person hogging the middle lane is a man driving a big white van!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page