Rip off Merchants!!!!!!!!!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 01-04-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Rip off Merchants!!!!!!!!!!!

Only had my new alfa a month and after a we drive about today a decided outa couriousity(sp?) lol that id see how much it was worth as a trade-in.....much to my surprise the garage offered me £2500 less than what i paid for it a month ago.

Complete rip off!! Okay rant over lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

wrinx

Re: Rip of Merchants!!!!!!!!!!!

That'll be their mark up

wrinx

AO Member

That's what all dealers are like, I had a mate get a brand new replacement Corsa a couple of years ago (after him mum wrote the first one off), before he even got in it he asked how much they'd give him for it and he was told 2k under what the thing cost 5 minutes before.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

If it's a really good one, do they out on AO for sensible money?

Yep. I considered trading in for something a bit more reliable when I got my new job.

They quoted 3 grand less then I paid only 5 months afterwards. I was out the door quicker then the dealer could say "Now don't be has...."
AO Silver Member

County: Gloucestershire

It depends on what you really paid for it, not what the figures looked like. The true value is what it would fetch at auction tomorrow.
Compare Alfa dealers new retail prices with what they can be bought for. So if you buy a new car at full retail price, with a high px price, you can't expect to sell it back to the dealer for more than he has to pay for a new one.
Perhaps you should volunteer to be a new Alfa dealer, if it looks that easy.
AlfaLincs

The only way of getting a good trade in is by going to another make. Trading an Alfa back to an Alfa dealer for example is certain financial death. When I had company Alfas a long long time ago After paying nearly £14,000 for a 75TS in 1989 (with extras..metallic, sunroof, Revolution alloys & tow bar) we traded it for a 164 two years later at 70,000 miles..for......£4,500...and they sold it for £5,800...OUCH!!

Mind you, I don't know if you saw some figures recently. The worst depreciating car on sale in the UK is the Fiat Stilo weekend (estate) losing 54% of its value in year one . I didn't think they were that bad, but that is sure as hell one unloved car.

That beig said..there should be some nice Grande Puntos coming up for not very much soon..can't have it both ways

AlfaLincs

AO Silver Member

County: Gloucestershire

I paid 52% of original retail price for my GT at 18 months old, with 47000 miles. Thats supposed to be a car with a high residual value. I could have bought the equivalent new for 15% off retail price, which means I paid about 60% of original discount price. If you want value for money, buy a 1 year old Stilo.

Its not just the Alfa Dealers who like a good mark up price - was offered just £5500 for my 147 when it was 11 months old by the local Mini dealer. I think thats about the trade price for it now another 3 years on.

btw soooo glad i didnt change it :-)
AlfaLincs

But I've always found that BMW (mini) dealers try and take the P*ss on just about everything they do.

At least the (few) Alfa dealers I have dealt with have been of the human species.

Thats at least two of the reasons I don't drive a BMW.

AlfaLincs

AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Re: Rip off Merchants!!!!!!!!!!!

The dealer will always say

''Alfas are difficult to shift through the trade''

''I'd be able to offer you better money if it was a V6/2.0/1.6'' (delete whichever is not applicable!)

''Too unreliable, especially the electrics''

OK they are running a business but they get you both ways, as Wrinx says, on the mark-up on the car they are flooging you, and the mark-up they are going to put on the car they are taking as a trade in.
Nev

I think the UK is just rip-off central.

This isn't help by a small dealer network.

Folding AR dealers into a larger Fiat group
would probably help.

AO Member

Member car:

GTV

Before deciding if dealers are ripping you off, consider:

1. Just how small main dealer mark-up is on new cars sold nowadays(bearing in mind they also have overheads i.e. site lease, wages etc.)

2. What their forecourt mark-up on your old p/x has to cover (warantee, Sale of Goods Act etc.). Be honest, would you want to be offering a limited warantee on an Alfa?

Just my thrupence worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewuk View Post
Its not just the Alfa Dealers who like a good mark up price - was offered just £5500 for my 147 when it was 11 months old by the local Mini dealer. I think thats about the trade price for it now another 3 years on.

btw soooo glad i didnt change it :-)

In my experience its all dealers that are out to make money, Alfa dealers are no different.
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Buy a 10 year old 164. My cars' previous owners have taken a massive hit on depreciation and the cars are still worth their weight in gold to me.
AO Member

Most of my thoughts have already been said. All garages have large overheads & have to provide a warranty when the sell your car on. Personally I wouldn't deal with any franchise garage as you always get offered less for a PX & have to pay more for your car than from a decent independant dealer. At the end of the day you will always lose money of virtually any car you buy. I wouldn't buy an Alfa with a view to selling it after a few months, I'm not planning on parting with mine for at least another 2 or 3 years. That way, no matter how much I get at least i will feel I've had value for money.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page