Emigration - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

EddieGTA

Emigration

OK I know things could be a lot worse but they sure as hell could be better, just fed up with this poxy country.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo
Re: Emigration

Come to Japan, a poxy country too, for various reasons, but the sushi's better
AO Member

Member car:

156 V6

I am with you Eddie

As soon as I can get my commercial pilots licence I will be flying to pastures new
Nev

Leave now, before the rest of the world get
choc-fulla-brits!

VO2Max

I keep meaning to ask if you can put me up Nev, I could have seen the Paris-Nice live for example! In all seriousness though, when I've been to Mediterranean countries, the whole pace and space thing seems very amenable, that's regardless of the better climate too...

AO Platinum Member

County: -

I'm getting seriously fed up here too.
As patriotic as I am, as much as I love these fair Isles, there's not much more I can take.
Might sell up and re-start the business in Italy. Been thinking this for the last 3 years or so. It's just a HUGE step to take.

But is the grass ALWAYS greener. I fear not. The problem is I just don't know...

Ah well. It's in the plan for the next 2 year budget.
AO Member

County: Perthshire

Member car:

non Alfa Romeo

The quality of life is the key.

I mean, you will still need to get up every moring to go to work, get the kids to school, pay the bills etc, etc, etc no matter where you live. (unless you are independently wealthy, and if so what the hell are you doing living here!) It's the quality of life when you are not working etc that will mean the most I think. Good weather, relaxed pace certainly do contribute to feeling good.

Friends of mine who live in Australia have often said that over there people don't live to work like they seem to here, they work to live. The brits still work on average much longer hours than any other european country. We just don't seem to be able to get the balance right. And a money grabbing, greedy government won't help.

The next question is; where to go?

Cuore Sportivo
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

I am seriously considering leaving too. I am fed up with struggling to survive even though we are told we are better off that we ever have been. What Bullocks!!
The rich are better off and so are the layabouts, but not the average person in the street. Even then if you do have a few quid it is taxed off of you.

So where do I go? Its a long way but I fancy Australia. Maybe somewhere like Spain or Ireland, but I need to do some more research.
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max View Post
I keep meaning to ask if you can put me up Nev, I could have seen the Paris-Nice live for example! In all seriousness though, when I've been to Mediterranean countries, the whole pace and space thing seems very amenable, that's regardless of the better climate too...
Last time I "put someone up" he stayed 3 months
and was still there after I'd moved.

EddieGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by themole View Post
I am with you Eddie

As soon as I can get my commercial pilots licence I will be flying to pastures new
Nice one! room for a passenger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusGTV View Post
The quality of life is the key.

I mean, you will still need to get up every moring to go to work, get the kids to school, pay the bills etc, etc, etc no matter where you live. (unless you are independently wealthy, and if so what the hell are you doing living here!) It's the quality of life when you are not working etc that will mean the most I think. Good weather, relaxed pace certainly do contribute to feeling good.

Friends of mine who live in Australia have often said that over there people don't live to work like they seem to here, they work to live. The brits still work on average much longer hours than any other european country. We just don't seem to be able to get the balance right. And a money grabbing, greedy government won't help.

The next question is; where to go?
Very well put. When I had carpets done earlier in the year, the fitter was going out to Australia where he could earn more cash and have a better standard of life for doing the same job.

Last edited by EddieGTA; 21-03-07 at 21:55.

Hmmmm. I am thinking of moving back to England. Talk about going against the tide
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Hmmmm. I am thinking of moving back to England. Talk about going against the tide

Blimey... It must be bad where you are.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
You should stay in Prg mate.

I was to and fro from CZ nearly every month last year and I enjoyed every minute of it!

(my ex was from Brno )
AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
I am seriously considering leaving too. I am fed up with struggling to survive even though we are told we are better off that we ever have been. What Bullocks!!
The rich are better off and so are the layabouts, but not the average person in the street. Even then if you do have a few quid it is taxed off of you.

So where do I go? Its a long way but I fancy Australia. Maybe somewhere like Spain or Ireland, but I need to do some more research.

I wouldn't bother going to Ireland mate. I left and don't want to go back (only to Gods own country, Co. Cork ). Maybe it was just where I was from but it felt so inward looking and parochial. I don't like visiting the town anymore, I feel nothing for it anymore.

The taxes are high and cars cost a bomb and aren't even near UK spec. The pcae of life is slower it must be said but that can be annoying at times. It is also now full of Eatern European emmigrants and emmigrants from Africa so is the same as the UK.

My home town is nothing like the place I grew up in. I want my parents to come over here and live nearer to me, I don't like them being there but of course they are happy there - well my Mum is my Dad would come like a shot.

Previous: Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 SXi -147 1.6 TS Lusso - 156 1.8 TS - 159 2.4 JTDm Lusso SW - 159 1.9 JTDm Lusso saloon - 159 1.9 JTDm Lusso SW - 159 2.0 JTDm Ti SW - VW Golf TDi - Fiat Bravo Multijet Sport - Volvo V70 2.4D SE Lux - Fiat Punto Evo 1.4 GP - Skoda Superb 2.0D DSG L&K Estate - Now: 159 2.0 JTDm Ti SW & Giulietta 1.4 MA QV-Line

Yeah, I would, but my wife (from Bristol) has had enough, and wants the kids to get english education. She wants to get back to her career, too, which being TV media is not a lot of opportunities for her here.

I've been fighting a losing battle for a couple of years now to stay, but the time is nigh now.

What brings you to Prague BTW? Other than the nightlife, obviously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
You should stay in Prg mate.

I was to and fro from CZ nearly every month last year and I enjoyed every minute of it!

(my ex was from Brno )
AO Platinum Member

Prague has always been very kind to me TBH.

I also travel to Tyn quite often. All with work, not too much pleasure...
AO Platinum Member

Maybe I will give Ireland a miss then. Its just I have friends there, they speak english and it is not too far away.

I just have to leave the UK soon I cannot afford to live here anymore.
By the time I have paid my Rent, council tax and bills I can barely feed myself and run my car.
I need the car for work so if that had to go I would be well and truely up **** street.
Its not as if I have a really low paid job either. So how people on low income manage is beyond me. I cant get by on 10 an hour let alone 5.50 that some people work for.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170)
AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire

it's a lovely country, the views, the Guinness etc etc but not as Irish as it used to be and as I say it is expensive

have a holiday there though, you will like it - Southern Ireland, Cork and Kerry - the best part
AO Gold Member

County: Hampshire

I'm still thinking seriously about moving out to New Zealand.

But it's a big move, and I'm not sure I'm that brave......
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Cloverleaf View Post
I'm still thinking seriously about moving out to New Zealand.

But it's a big move, and I'm not sure I'm that brave......
Here's a link

NB there are at least 1/2 million NZers in Australia

Last edited by Stori; 23-03-07 at 06:26.
Global Mod Team

My good friend (Italian living in London) relocated recently with her Kiwi husband to Christchurch (NZ) and after three months she loves it.

The pace is much slower, but she hit a certain age where that was not an important part of her life and she gained a big step up in quality of life.

Visited there a few months ago and I must say, I was impressed. Great place
AO Member

Member car:

alfa romeo

I have been lucky to live in the middle east the south of france and oz, stayed in canada for a few months now live on the isle of man.

Out of all of them i have to say the isle of man is the best, there is no real crime, the odd stolen car, speeding and mr j clarkson the only bad things i can think of.

Ok it costly to get on and off but its not to bad, tax is better and we don't have a t**t as a PM. the weather is warmer than the uk and we have the tt and southern 100 and no speed cameras and no speed limits, but we do have the 40 mph club.

so think on that france, spain et all may not be the best, just a thought
Global Mod Team

What's the 40mph Club? Bunch of guys with a self-imposed speed limit?
AO Platinum Member

I have a friend who lives is Ramsay. Maybe I could give him a call and ask him to put me up for a while...
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

I'm quite happy here in Blighty as long as they don't opress the motorist anymore

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page