HDMI cables and Con men Comet sales staff - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 96 Old 14-12-09 Thread Starter

HDMI cables and Con men Comet sales staff

Just signed up for Bt vision and along with the shiny box and posh remote comes a nice little handy guide to get the most out of it.......

"Blah, blah down load HD films, blah, blah...." Oh goody , thinks I, save me buying a blue ray player......Reading further down however it says I need a HDMI cable (not supplied).

So, off to Comet to pick up cable and receive rude awakening:

"Ah yes sir, you need one of these; gold plated non-ferrous jobs with minimum data transfer rate of thingummy Gbs/thingummy"

"Er, aye ok, take yer word for it, how much is it?

"The cheapest one to suit you is £44.00 but we recommend this which is £79.00"

....Smelling an awfy big rodent I declined his kind offer and went home to check tinterweb;

Apparently there is no need whatsover to choose highly expensive cables and the recommended one for my needs is a Version 1.3 Cat 2 fellow, which comes in at the princely sum of £8.00.

How the heck to COMET get away with that sh*t?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Bristol
Well, if everyone took your v. sensible "I'll just check your facts matey" approach, they wouldn't be able to They get away with it because most buyers don't know any better unfortunately.
(Post Link) post #3 of 96 Old 14-12-09 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloucher View Post
Well, if everyone took your v. sensible "I'll just check your facts matey" approach, they wouldn't be able to They get away with it because most buyers don't know any better unfortunately.
You're right of course but where are the consumer watchdogs on this sort of dodgy practice? This business of not including cables is reninscent of the Ryan-Air sales tactics.

I mean the cable is a fundamental part of the kit! No pub would get away with selling you a pint of beer for 30p and then asking you for another £2 for the glass

Yes, I dd think of just buying a Blue-ray player and using the HDMI cable that came with it - but guess what..............?

They don't come with the cable either
AO Gold Member

County: Conwy
Welcome back Will

Were they holding you hostage in Comet
AO Silver Member

County: Devon

Member car:

159 1.9jtdm

Had the same thing here, bought a gold plated HDMI cable (5m long) from internet (company over in Jersey) for the princely some of £5.95 delivered

All so I could get rid of pc monitor at home and run it through the telebox
(Post Link) post #6 of 96 Old 14-12-09 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icheb View Post
Welcome back Will

Were they holding you hostage in Comet
More like the other way round!

Those pair were straight out of 'Chewin' the fat'

Heck, I could've been had for £80 quid for no good reason.
Admin Team

County: -

Member car:

Not a GT

I've bought a few of mine for £3-£5 from Asda. It's a digital signal, you've either got it or you haven't!

The cables that Comet sell are a tax on the stupid.
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
More like the other way round!

Those pair were straight out of 'Chewin' the fat'

Heck, I could've been had for £80 quid for no good reason.
My parents fell for this trick. Oh how the tables have turned I gave them a bloody good telling off and made them take the leads back!

I fell short of sending them to their room without dinner
Admin Team

County: Hertfordshire
Mine was £50 from John Lewis!
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
I used to have some very expensive audio/hi fi equipment and the speaker wire i used was £7 a metre, but the equipment justified it. Same with HDMI cables but only if you have a huge 50 inch £5000 pioneer Screen running full HD blu ray from a very very expensive blu ray player and have a a top end home cinema system to boot. And seen as comet don't sell any of this equipment I would have to agree they are just ripping everyone off.
(Post Link) post #11 of 96 Old 14-12-09 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobda View Post
I've bought a few of mine for £3-£5 from Asda. It's a digital signal, you've either got it or you haven't!

That is exactly what the experts say: It's a digital signal, zeros and ones, it either works or it doesn't so I'm glad to heare someone else say the same

Cheers Bobda
(Post Link) post #12 of 96 Old 14-12-09 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twissler View Post
I used to have some very expensive audio/hi fi equipment and the speaker wire i used was £7 a metre, but the equipment justified it. Same with HDMI cables but only if you have a huge 50 inch £5000 pioneer Screen running full HD blu ray from a very very expensive blu ray player and have a a top end home cinema system to boot. And seen as comet don't sell any of this equipment I would have to agree they are just ripping everyone off.
Again, the experts concur with what you say. Only cables over 15 metres need all the high end guff and even then only if you are using even higher definition than 1080p on a telly.

And off course the old analogue hi-fis did benefit from quality cabling but that's because they were analogue and prone to losses/distortion etc.
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire

Member car:

MITO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Vincent View Post
Mine was £50 from John Lewis!
HA-HA You must be joking £50 for a H.D. Cable, same cable from play.com well under £10
Admin Team

Member car:

Not a GT

Quote:
I used to have some very expensive audio/hi fi equipment and the speaker wire i used was £7 a metre, but the equipment justified it. Same with HDMI cables but only if you have a huge 50 inch £5000 pioneer Screen running full HD blu ray from a very very expensive blu ray player and have a a top end home cinema system to boot.
That's incorrect.
The only time you need a better quality cable is when you're running cables over longer distances and by that, we're talking over 10 metres.

You don't even need high quality speaker cable for high quality audio devices. I design and build broadcast studios and to wire the speakers we use 1.0mm twin core mains cable - we might stretch to 1.5mm if it's a long run.
It's the thickness of the conductors that matter. The kit which takes line level audio inputs uses a shielded and screened 1-pair cable in which the cores are equivalent thickness to bell wire (0.2mm).

It's all a massive, massive con.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.

Member car:

Jaguar XJR V8

my Father bought two Humax PVRs from Richer Sounds on Saturday, they came with both HDMI cable and scart lead.

The fellow in the shop did tell him that the bundle cables weren't very good and recommended he bought a better one, but didn't force the issue, just offered his reasonable advice.

My PS3 didn't come with HDMI lead, but for the first couple of months of having it, I didn't have a HDMI TV, after getting a Bravia, bought a lead for £5 from a leading supermarket chain, still don't see how an £80 lead would be better!

...if wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets...
AO Silver Member

Quote:
That's incorrect.
The only time you need a better quality cable is when you're running cables over longer distances and by that, we're talking over 10 metres.

You don't even need high quality speaker cable for high quality audio devices. I design and build broadcast studios and to wire the speakers we use 1.0mm twin core mains cable - we might stretch to 1.5mm if it's a long run.
It's the thickness of the conductors that matter. The kit which takes line level audio inputs uses a shielded and screened 1-pair cable in which the cores are equivalent thickness to bell wire (0.2mm).

I disagree but thats just my opinion.
(Post Link) post #17 of 96 Old 14-12-09 Thread Starter

Quote:
That's incorrect.

Brilliant, brilliant!!

Blimey, just thought of something; with the money I've saved I only need to find another £65 quid to buy a blue-ray player. LG model on Amazon for under £130 shads.

All this expertise from being a lover of Alfa Romeos. If I ever needed justification for remaining on this site then this is it.

Your a star Bobda, a £5 quid cable it is for me. Off to order one on Amazon right the noo.......
AO Gold Member

I feel ripped off now. I paid £12 for mine 3 years ago when I bought the PS3
Admin Team

Member car:

Not a GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icheb View Post
I feel ripped off now. I paid £12 for mine 3 years ago when I bought the PS3
£12 3 years ago isn't bad. They've come down a lot since HDMI was introduced.
AO Member

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Member car:

166 ts 2004

Unfortunatly i bought one "Recomended by Comet Staff" for £44 Two month ago ,Later i found out tesco sold hdmi cable for £6.

didn,t know what HDMI was back then but it was not the onlt time,bought a surrond system which needed "Optic Connection" again Recomended by Comet staff end up paying much more.

I guess Comet loves people like me
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

Saab and a Merc

£4 at Lidl for a reasonable qulity item, last week.

County: Cork
Garage
Quote:

You might want to read this for the facts :
HDMI Cables - Just the facts ... - AVForums.com Basically a HDMI cable transmits a digital signal, it's either on or off.

I'm sure Monster / QED etc would rather you believed the marketing though
AO Silver Member

you get what you pay for, no point having blu ray/hd etc then putting it through a £4.99 cable

if you have a low end hd whatever then a low end cable will do, if you have all singing all dancing hd thingy then buy the best(not always the most expensive) cable you can.

if you had a high end hi fi costing several hundreds if not thousands of pounds would you then conect it with £4.99 speaker cable from lidles? of course you wouldnt, so why use a cheap nasty hdmi cable

when i bought my previous telly i used a cheap nasty scart cable but eventually bought a good gold plated one, the difference in picture quality was very noticable as was the difference in build quality

i would say however , dont buy it from comet their mark up is horendous, internet prices as always are the best

County: Cork
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
you get what you pay for, no point having blu ray/hd etc then putting it through a £4.99 cable

if you have a low end hd whatever then a low end cable will do, if you have all singing all dancing hd thingy then buy the best(not always the most expensive) cable you can.

if you had a high end hi fi costing several hundreds if not thousands of pounds would you then conect it with £4.99 speaker cable from lidles? of course you wouldnt, so why use a cheap nasty hdmi cable
Have you read this HDMI Cables - Just the facts ... - AVForums.com or any of the previous posts stating the facts

As already said HDMI is a DIGITAL signal, therefore it is either on or off, there is NO LOSS in signal regardless of the cable quality.

The only difference between cheap & expensive cables is the build quality & packaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post

when i bought my previous telly i used a cheap nasty scart cable but eventually bought a good gold plated one, the difference in picture quality was very noticable as was the difference in build quality
There would be an improvement in quality using high quality scart leads as they do not transmit a digital signal.

Last edited by David P; 14-12-09 at 18:45. Reason: sp
AO Gold Member

Quote:
£12 3 years ago isn't bad. They've come down a lot since HDMI was introduced.
I feel better now, knowing that

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Off Topic Section > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page