My wasteful wife - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

Mymatemarmite

My wasteful wife

Whilst I love her to bits, there are things she does which drive me mad.
She has this complete disregard for energy costs. The way that she wastes it makes me wonder where she thinks it cones from.........maybe it's free, maybe it grows on trees??

She will often get home in the evening, put the porch light on, then the hallway light, and then just leave them!!!

Another favourite is to leave the door from the kitchen to the hall open. Being an old house, the kitchen is an additional structure, and is by far the coldest room in the place. Yet she will always manage to leave the door open so that all of the lovely freezing air fills the house, thus wasting all of the heat that has built up during the day!

The latest blatent waste of money is a corker......she will go into the bathroom in the morning, turn the shower on, and then proceed to spend 3/4 minutes brushing her teeth with the shower still going Her reasoning for this.....'the water needs to heat up'
It takes 10-15 seconds for the shower to heat up, no different to turning on the hot water tap. It's a ridiculous waste of money, and as I pay for the majority of all household bills, I feel my rant is justified!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

K9d
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
You have my deepest sypmathy and understanding, the one that drives me mad is the tumble drier in the SUMMER .
As for my eldest daughter, she can be in any room in the house and yet the TV is on in the sitting room her computer is on in her bedroom and hair straightners will be on somewhere else She cooked tea on Monday, a roast, the oven was still on when everything was out of it , she had 2 saucepans boiling with no lids with the rings and 9 (their highest setting), I put the lids on and turned them down to 3, and then the rings were left on with nothing on the hob
Mymatemarmite

Women are deffinately the worst culprits K9d........maybe men are more careful because of the old hunter/gatherer instincts?? Heat from hand started fires had to be carefully harnessed and not wasted.....maybe it's programmed into the back of our minds.

K9d
AO Silver Member

Or maybe it's because we pay the bills
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
I wouldn't put up with that. Try fitting low energy bulbs throughout the house if you haven't already, then if she leaves a 5W light on it really won't matter that much. Fit an auto door closer to the kitchen (spring unit at the top) and tell her it's needed to meet the current building / fire regs (many flats have to have these). The shower is more difficult, so you may have to just keep moaning about that one...
Mymatemarmite

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9d View Post
Or maybe it's because we pay the bills
.....Yep, that makes more sense than my hunter/gatherer jiberish

K9d
AO Silver Member

Energy saving bulbs may be great for saving energy, but they give out a crap light
Mymatemarmite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilzAlfa View Post
I wouldn't put up with that. Try fitting low energy bulbs throughout the house if you haven't already, then if she leaves a 5W light on it really won't matter that much. Fit an auto door closer to the kitchen (spring unit at the top) and tell her it's needed to meet the current building / fire regs (many flats have to have these). The shower is more difficult, so you may have to just keep moaning about that one...
Good suggestions there

Reference your 'status'.......right now, the meaning of life revolves around going to work to earn cash to pay the bl**dy energy bills

Ahhh wasteful partners and kids....source of my poor worn down teeth (grind, grind).

Leaving lights on is the big bug-bear. We are about 30 miles from the coast but honestly you'd think we were a danger to shipping the number of lights left on in our house!

Also CH turned up far too high - house is stifling and the women all running round with bare arms and tee-shirts saying they feeel cold. PUT A BLOODY JUMPER ON!!!!!

WAAAAAAAAH!!

....where's me pills?
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Seat Ateca SE

Turning taps on full to brush teeth, shower in the morning, bath in the evening, CH turned up but door into hall left open so all the warm stuff ends up upstairs so bedroom is too warm and , you guessed it, open a window to cool down!!!!!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 1.6TS Lusso

I can assure you not all women are the same I'd rather put a jumper on before putting the heating on, I don't have the TV on whilst on the laptop, the only light thats on when its dark is the lamp which has an energy saving bulb, I bath the kids in the same water (one after the other) , I sweep rather than use the hoover (wooden floors), the tumble drier only goes on at night, basically I'm a right tight a$$ but then if I wasn't the bills would be even worse than what they are now so I think its worth it - the one thing that does really annoy me is my boy, he always leaves lights on

County: Shropshire
<huge deep calming breath>

Anyone have a partner/wife or significant other who actually understands how a thermostat works?

"It's cold in here the heating has not come on, I'll turn the thermostat up to 29 so it clicks on..."

It's the correct temperature already, if the heating has not come on that is because it is already 20 degrees!
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire -
Garage
I never leave doors open as I am cold but I do always put the shower on before I get in it and brush my teeth or something. lol because it does need to warm up.

My hubby thinks I am to liberal with the heating but I pay the bill (well most of it) and I am at home all day. He works outside though so he is always warm when I am freezing. I put our heating on if I need it.

However I wouldn't dream of leaving doors open.

We dont have a a thermostat btw.. so I just have heating on or off.

------------------------------------------------------
©™ IF something is worth having, then its worth waiting for.
AO Gold Member

County: Conwy
My wife's great and I love her to bits. She would never do any of the things you lot are talking about and if she did I wouldn't be posting here cos she reads the forum.

Love you Mrs Icheb

County: Surrey
I believe my wife is in some form of competition with my daughter on who can use the most toilet roll.

They can easily get through a roll in a day. It beggars belief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icheb View Post
My wife's great and I love her to bits. She would never do any of the things you lot are talking about and if she did I wouldn't be posting here cos she reads the forum.

Love you Mrs Icheb
Chicken!
AO Gold Member

County: Conwy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy View Post
Chicken!

You know it makes sense

Christmas and A & E don't sound like a good combination
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 1.6TS Lusso

@ Icheb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icheb View Post

Christmas and A & E don't sound like a good combination
Done Boxing Day and A&E - apparently the knife set I got her for Christmas was REALLY sharp!

It's brand new, you don't say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Moo View Post
I can assure you not all women are the same I'd rather put a jumper on before putting the heating on, I don't have the TV on whilst on the laptop, the only light thats on when its dark is the lamp which has an energy saving bulb, I bath the kids in the same water (one after the other) , I sweep rather than use the hoover (wooden floors), the tumble drier only goes on at night, basically I'm a right tight a$$ but then if I wasn't the bills would be even worse than what they are now so I think its worth it - the one thing that does really annoy me is my boy, he always leaves lights on
There's about 40 proposals of marriage beig drafted as we speak....

County: Bedfordshire
@WILL and @ icheb

What you after icheb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
There's about 40 proposals of marriage beig drafted as we speak....
...must resist.....urge.....to say.....especially .......with a tight......a.....a....

aaaarrgghhhh!
AO Silver Member

County: Suffolk

Member car:

Volvo XC70

My adult son is SO bad when it comes to the shower. He switches it on and then goes to the loo .......... and we know how long you men take in take loo don't we girls!
Then he spends hours under the shower - I despair but can't seem to get through to him!

As for the tumble dryer I hate the thing - I watch the weather forecast and wash on the days I can dry it outside!

County: Surrey
For many of the above reasons - including how long his step-teenage-kids stay in the shower - my (tight-a55ed) brother has installed those light switches that you have to push in to turn the light on, and which then slowly pop out and turn themselves off.

I only ever used to see them in the stairwells of student accomodation - but he's managed to find a supply of them so the lights in his house need to be constantly re-pushed if you want to keep them on. He has them in the bathrooms and the hallway/landing.

Apparently he had hours of fun listening to his 17 year old step-son nipping in and out of the shower to keep resetting the light switch before finally getting the message! it cut the shower duration down from 30 minutes to about 2!
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy View Post
It's the correct temperature already, if the heating has not come on that is because it is already 20 degrees!
Not with ours. We call it the lie machine because it can say 20 and be boiling or it can say 20 and be freezing.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Off Topic Section > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page