What is it with slow people and their main beam?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 34 Old 07-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

A Motorbike ;)

Madness What is it with slow people and their main beam??

what really gets me is when you overtake some slow poke motorists, give them a country mile of space, almost to the point of putting yourself in the ditch as you go past, pull in only after you have passed them by at least 20 yards, and then the SOB puts their main beam on to let you know what an idiot you are for daring to overtake them! either speed up (it always seems to be the '40mph not matter what the limit is' brigade) or shut up!! rant over
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Conwy
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovylee View Post
what really gets me is when you overtake some slow poke motorists, give them a country mile of space, almost to the point of putting yourself in the ditch as you go past, pull in only after you have passed them by at least 20 yards, and then the SOB puts their main beam on to let you know what an idiot you are for daring to overtake them! either speed up (it always seems to be the '40mph not matter what the limit is' brigade) or shut up!! rant over
Great rant

Its the feckers who speed up that really annoy me and slow down again when its not possible to overtake them
(Post Link) post #3 of 34 Old 07-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

A Motorbike ;)

ah yes, had one of those the other day, i pulled out to overtake a lorry, and the car directly behind it pootled out and overtook it in front of me, only to pull in sharply and leave me confronted with an oncoming van! TW*T! never knew what it felt like to lock up all four wheels on a 306 before that!
AO Silver Member

County: Kent
Quote:

Normally they have tiddled along at 20mph on dipped beam in the dark so you have missed earlier opportunities to get past.

I must have missed the law that banned overtaking..

County: South Lanarkshire
I did this this morning..dead proud I was

Pomeo
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomeo View Post

Pomeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icheb View Post

Not only that Itchy ..Twas a traffic calming scheme

Thry dont know how lucky they were
I was in the wife's vectra

Pomeo
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:

With you entirely - had this a couple of times last Friday....40 in a 60 limit and they get upset when you pass them.....surprised they've got enough brain cells to find the flasher lever.....
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
ah yes, had one of those the other day, i pulled out to overtake a lorry, and the car directly behind it pootled out and overtook it in front of me, only to pull in sharply and leave me confronted with an oncoming van! TW*T! never knew what it felt like to lock up all four wheels on a 306 before that!
never follow someone in an overtake, no matter how eager you are to get past. You just don't know what they're going to do.
I know you were stuck in that situation because they pulled out while you were already starting your manoeuvre, but in that case, I'd have backed off behind the lorry until the other car was past. Do you really want to trust your life to the driving of a stranger?
Admin Team

County: -

Member car:

Not a GT

In a similar vein to the OP, I was coming back from Manchester on the M62 last night over Saddleworth when it got VERY foggy - couldn't see 100 yards ahead of me at times and it was thicker in some patches. Very common weather for the '62.
I already had my lights on as it was about midnight, so I also turned my rear fog light on as I was struggling to see other cars and vans tail lights as I approached them.

Still foggy, I went past a lorry and moved into the inside lane just as he flashed his main beam at me. Thank you very much, sir - I was fully aware that I had space to move back in, but how very nice of you to let me know anyway. But no; he left the full beam on, right up until the fog cleared and I turned my rear light off.

From this experience, I have gathered that using a rear fog light in thick fog is frowned upon by the knights of the road.

What an idiot I was for trying to be safe.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
(Post Link) post #11 of 34 Old 08-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

A Motorbike ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
never follow someone in an overtake, no matter how eager you are to get past. You just don't know what they're going to do.
I know you were stuck in that situation because they pulled out while you were already starting your manoeuvre, but in that case, I'd have backed off behind the lorry until the other car was past. Do you really want to trust your life to the driving of a stranger?
very good point, i for one will never do it again! the problem with the 306 D is that you need a good country mile of run up to overtake, so i got a bit impatient oh well, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger (or a better driver in this case!)

Quote:

Pomeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
Yep that's why I did it Bazza....I had priority they had to give way at the obstacle(Traffic calming at the brow of a hill and is real icy in the winter..Planners road safety wallahs) the first one didn't and i was forced to slow down although I had priority and so did the second the third and the fourth....had I been in Pomeo 2 3 and 4 would have need a bath and a change of clothes...thats it i am better now.tomorrows another day...hopefully I will be in Pomeo.

Th thing that beats me is ..you are driving along a major road and a cr is waiting to dome out from your left at ajunction well ahead to travel in your direction. The road is clear...Why do they wait till you are on the junction before coming out and forcing you to slow down to avoid a collision.....bloomin suicide jockeys...take more pills and stay in bed,

Pomeo

"Don't follow me,Follow the Highway Code "
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobda View Post
In a similar vein to the OP, I was coming back from Manchester on the M62 last night over Saddleworth when it got VERY foggy - couldn't see 100 yards ahead of me at times and it was thicker in some patches. Very common weather for the '62.
I already had my lights on as it was about midnight, so I also turned my rear fog light on as I was struggling to see other cars and vans tail lights as I approached them.

Still foggy, I went past a lorry and moved into the inside lane just as he flashed his main beam at me. Thank you very much, sir - I was fully aware that I had space to move back in, but how very nice of you to let me know anyway. But no; he left the full beam on, right up until the fog cleared and I turned my rear light off.

From this experience, I have gathered that using a rear fog light in thick fog is frowned upon by the knights of the road.

Hmmmmm - sorry about this Andy, but I sort of tend to the view that that if its foggy enough to require the use of those blinding rear fog lights, its probably too foggy to be doing any overtaking.......I often dream of an over-ride where the foglight are automatically switched off if the car exceeds 50 mph.......

I find the rear fog lights to be dangerous in a stream of traffic as they mask brake lights - not too bad with a modern car with a third high brake light, but there are lots of cars without them....

And the number of people who are virtually incapable of turning a foglight off!!!!!!

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
Admin Team

Member car:

Not a GT

I must have been doing 50, max! He was going much more slowly in the inside lane so I went past.

Don't all modern cars just have one rear fog light now anyway to prevent them being confused with brakelights? I seem to recall reading that this was being introduced as safety feature.
I know what you mean about people not turning them off, 5 minutes down the motorway when the fog had cleared there were thre or four halfwits still trundling along with them on. I didn't feel the need to try and blind them though.
AO Gold Member

You can't do right for wrong - one person's interpretation for using fog lights is another person's rant - even if you do follow the highway code etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc,

Note: This is not a rant at Bobda, rgwm or any other memebr of the AO site, just a general observation of recent postings.

Quote:
You can't do right for wrong - one person's interpretation for using fog lights is another person's rant - even if you do follow the highway code etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc,

Note: This is not a rant at Bobda, rgwm or any other memebr of the AO site, just a general observation of recent postings.
beg to disagree itchy but you are right.

If someone comes up behing me with their front for on and i cant see fog r falling snow I reckon I must have my rose coloured specs on and switch me rear fogs on to let him know I see it as well...I know 2 wrongs etc but how else would they know.Ignorance is indeed bliss...Yes officer I put them on as everyone else did and I am driving without my specs ..my eyes are dim ..i know 2 for theprice of one and he gets a bonus.

IMHO cause and effect...pleasure pain..to every action.....rant unrant

wound down away back to where I belong

Pomeo

I hope they are at it tomorrow Pomeo needs a new radiator and new antifreeze.
AO Gold Member

Quote:
beg to disagree itchy but you are right.

I hope they are at it tomorrow Pomeo needs a new radiator and new antifreeze.
:smile1: good luck - I aint seen this post, right.
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:

Well, generally speaking you should turn your rear fog light off when you have someone behind you unless it's really foggy and I've never seen it that foggy myself.
(Post Link) post #19 of 34 Old 08-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

A Motorbike ;)

but whats the point of having it on if noone is behind you?? if there's no one there to hit you surely you don't need your fogs on!! (sorry mate, juvenile but i couldn't resist. drunk posts, i ask ya!!!)
AO Gold Member

Quote:
but whats the point of having it on if noone is behind you?? if there's no one there to hit you surely you don't need your fogs on!! (sorry mate, juvenile but i couldn't resist. drunk posts, i ask ya!!!)
I probably shouldn't and will probably get told off but...

Sorry
Admin Team

Member car:

Not a GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgers_nadgers View Post
Well, generally speaking you should turn your rear fog light off when you have someone behind you unless it's really foggy and I've never seen it that foggy myself.
You've obviously never driven across the top of the M62 in winter!
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
You're right there!
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Where?
Admin Team

Member car:

Not a GT

Quote:
Where?
M62, around Saddleworth - the highest Motorway in England and also probably one of the busiest at times.
The second worst journey of my life so far was acrosss there in snow, and high winds, and sleet, and rain, and fog. And only one lane was open.

The worst journey was from Lilongwe to Mt Mulanje in Malawi crammed like sardines into the back of a Hiace minibus over horrendously bumpy roads, at 50mph. Ugh. I will never complain about public transport in this country again after that.
AO Gold Member

Oh I know where you mean now sorry

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Off Topic Section > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page