Space Savers - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

keithyboy

Space Savers

Why?

For a reason I'm too embarrassed to admit, I arrived at work with a puncture yesterday. As I was off to London overnight and wearing suit and tie I elected to leave it in the carpark and fix it tonight.

They don't save much space. They look stupid. You can't go over 40 and feel lethal at 30. My car understeers like a Vectra VXR at walking pace and will spin the space saver in 3rd gear at little more than tickover.

If I ever met the person who thought it was a good idea, I would run over his testicles with it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: West Lothian
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
...... My car understeers like a Vectra VXR at walking pace and will spin the space saver in 3rd gear at little more than tickover......
Only yesterday, I had the Goodyear Technical Manager in at our place giving our guys and gals a run down on the do and don't requirements with tyres and the one thing he stressed about space-savers is to never ever put them on as a driven wheel for this very reason, . It's a right PITA but if you get a puncture on the front in a front-wheel drive car, you need to swap wheels around so that the space-saver goes on the rear, and obviously t'other way around for rear-wheel drive.

For Info & enquiries e-mail
[email protected]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
AO Silver Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeoraider View Post
Only yesterday, I had the Goodyear Technical Manager in at our place giving our guys and gals a run down on the do and don't requirements with tyres and the one thing he stressed about space-savers is to never ever put them on as a driven wheel for this very reason, . It's a right PITA but if you get a puncture on the front in a front-wheel drive car, you need to swap wheels around so that the space-saver goes on the rear, and obviously t'other way around for rear-wheel drive.

I know this will help with traction on the driven wheels but I would be more concerned about a bit of oversteer, that's never any fun in a FWD car. I will always put it on my front axle despite Mr. Goodyears advice.
keithyboy

It'll be off again in the morning. There was no way I was removing a rear wheel with that crappy widow-maker jack in a dark underground car park then doing the same on the front.

scsc

Wow, you remind me that I have absolutely no idea if I have a spare, or what type it is .

My previous car had no spare at all, so it's not something I've even thought about in the last 5 years.

Another task for tomorrow .......

Thanks.

AO Gold Member

County: Conwy
No spare

I thought by law you had to have a spare
scsc

Nope, my SLK 230 had a tube of some sort of gunk and that was it.

I hope it was legal.

keithyboy

For MoT purposes, there is no rrequirement to have a spare. However, if you have a spare it has tro be legal.

In practice, testers seem to adopt a pragmatic approach to this.

A mate of mine has an '08 Civic and was demonstrating the size of the boot. The only reason the boot is big is because there's no jack and no spare. I don't know about you but if I had a tyre let go on the motorway at 80mph, I'd be less than confident about the ability of a can of gunk to inflate it to a stage where it was safe to drive on.

Car makers, stop being tight and give us a proper spare FFS.

AO Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

147 GTA

Quote:
Car makers, stop being tight and give us a proper spare FFS.
I think its not so much them being tight, but more to do with vehicle packaging.

Still, I'm in agreement, I had to use a noddy wheel once on the M6, trying to return to the motorway whilst not exceeding 50mph provided enough entertainment for one day
keithyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johno_cup View Post
I think its not so much them being tight, but more to do with vehicle packaging.

Still, I'm in agreement, I had to use a noddy wheel once on the M6, trying to return to the motorway whilst not exceeding 50mph provided enough entertainment for one day
On my mate's Honda I agree but on my 156, if the wheel well has 1/2" deeper (or the boot floor 1/2" higher) a full size one would fit. The boot is frigging tiny anyway so packaging can't have been high on the list of priorities.

AO Member

County: Glasgow
I didn't want to risk using a space saver on a car with 210bhp. All I could imagine was the tyre shredding on moderate acceleration if it was on the front (which we have now found out from David is a no no) So, I decided to find a good used alloy. It's not a perfect fit in the well. Sits a bit high so the cover does not sit fully flush but it is not really a problem or noticeable. At least I feel a bit safer in the event of a puncture.

County: West Lothian
Garage
Quote:
.....I don't know about you but if I had a tyre let go on the motorway at 80mph, I'd be less than confident about the ability of a can of gunk to inflate it to a stage where it was safe to drive on.....
Believe me it lets go at anything above 'town' speeds, by the time you can get the car under control and safely brought to a halt (personal experience here, ) the tyre is going to be way past the point of reinflating with anything! Doesn't stop some of 'my' customers trying though, , then coming back and complaining that the can of foam didn't miraculously glue all the shards of shredded rubber back together again, .

I've never understood why car manufacturers think that some tyre sealer is enough to cover all emergencies. A straight-forward slow(ish) puncture maybe, but no use at all if you've just ripped out half the sidewall. I can live with a space-saver (just) but I'll never accept a 'no spare wheel supplied' situation with any car of mine. In a few cars, the new Mini for instance, fitted with run-flat tyres you don't even get the can of foam let alone any sort of spare wheel, although in said Mini they do give you a jack and a set of tools - bizarre, . Most others supplying run-flats do, fortunately, acknowledge the limitations of these and give you at least a space-saver.
keithyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeoraider View Post
Believe me it lets go at anything above 'town' speeds, by the time you can get the car under control and safely brought to a halt (personal experience here, ) the tyre is going to be way past the point of reinflating with anything! Doesn't stop some of 'my' customers trying though, , then coming back and complaining that the can of foam didn't miraculously glue all the shards of shredded rubber back together again, .

I've never understood why car manufacturers think that some tyre sealer is enough to cover all emergencies. A straight-forward slow(ish) puncture maybe, but no use at all if you've just ripped out half the sidewall. I can live with a space-saver (just) but I'll never accept a 'no spare wheel supplied' situation with any car of mine. In a few cars, the new Mini for instance, fitted with run-flat tyres you don't even get the can of foam let alone any sort of spare wheel, although in said Mini they do give you a jack and a set of tools - bizarre, . Most others supplying run-flats do, fortunately, acknowledge the limitations of these and give you at least a space-saver.
My puncture occurred at because of my being half asleep and incapable of controlling a car properly. I clipped at high kerb at about 1 mph but because of the height of the kerb and the fact that it seems to have caught the shoulder of the tyre it left it with a 2 inch tear in the sidewall. It's a bit like a snakebite you get on a pushbike when you clip a rock and nip the inner tube between the rock and the rim but there's no way a can of gunk could deal with it.

AO Silver Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

Saab and a Merc

Our BMW has no spare and standard-fit RFTs. The idea of the RFTs is excellent, the reality is harsh ride and ropey handling. There is a space under the boot which is never used but is about 75% the size of a spare wheel - so frustrating!

We now have normal tyres, some tyre 'gunk' and AA membership.

Crap.
jay w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricer View Post
Our BMW has no spare and standard-fit RFTs. The idea of the RFTs is excellent, the reality is harsh ride and ropey handling. There is a space under the boot which is never used but is about 75% the size of a spare wheel - so frustrating!

We now have normal tyres, some tyre 'gunk' and AA membership.

Crap.
Keep an eye on your wheels

BMW's that have had the RFT tyres fitted seem to be the ones that are having issues with the alloys cracking

AO Silver Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

Saab and a Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay w View Post
Keep an eye on your wheels

BMW's that have had the RFT tyres fitted seem to be the ones that are having issues with the alloys cracking
Ta, wise words.

The whole 3-series range is now run-flat. The standard 16's are fine, but our 19's are the most prone to cracking, not surprising with 40-profile tyres and an almost rigid sidewall.

Other brands will follow suit . . . .
AO Silver Member

space savers are there to get you to the nearest tyre place(slowly) nothing more, bhp is imatterial, you dont have to use all the horses all the time and never put them on driven wheels you shouldnt be going quickly enough for understeer to be a concern.

those cans of gunk are bugger all use if your tyre lets go and shreads itself

the 166 comes with a nice shiny full size alloy for a spare

personally i think it should be law for every car to have a full size spare, christ even my 1987 renault 5 TL had a full size spare.
keithyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
space savers are there to get you to the nearest tyre place(slowly) nothing more, bhp is imatterial, you dont have to use all the horses all the time and never put them on driven wheels you shouldnt be going quickly enough for understeer to be a concern.

those cans of gunk are bugger all use if your tyre lets go and shreads itself

the 166 comes with a nice shiny full size alloy for a spare

personally i think it should be law for every car to have a full size spare, christ even my 1987 renault 5 TL had a full size spare.
I agree completely and you've given me another string to my arguments in favour of buying a 166.

Now a challenge.

You're out in your Ferrari with an attractive woman on whom you are trying to make a good impression. As you blast through the lanes in 2nd gear trying to make it sound like you're Gille Villeneuve, you get a flat. Because you're in the role of ***** male you leap out to change it. The space saver looks a bit crap but at least it's inflated so you can carry on. you put the jack and wheel brace away and try to put the wheel where the space saver goes - no joy. It won't fit in what Ferrari laughingly refer to as a boot, and there's no room behind the seats. Where do you put your punctured tyre?

AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

Gtv 2.0 ts

We once had a customer who had all four alloy's nicked off his BMW 330ci, so we used four Space Savers from other cars to get it from his house, i haven't laughed so much since, it was a hoot especialy with the DSC switched completely off.
It reminded me of drifting a Morris Minor on Cross Ply tyres on a roundabout at 20mph in the wet when i was 18.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Off Topic Section > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page