the Social benefits system - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

jay w

the Social benefits system

In one sentence......it Sucks and is weighted against those who work.

Over the last few months things have gone from bad to worse to dire. A combination of industry slowdown and some stupid actions on the part of my sister in law means that my business has been decimated, so finally a few weeks ago i accepted this and ceased trading...believe me it was one of the most soul destroying days so far.

So as a short term solution i decided to 'sign on' again another one of those soul destroying moments that is burned into my mind and i swear i will recall as a memory of 'i never want to go back there'
All the form have been filled in, all the paperwork supplied to support the business failing, in principle it all looked that there would be some financial assistance in the way of Job seekers allowance.....woohoo ( that was sarcasm BTW)

Until today that is, i got a call from DWP, because i have been paid less that the PAYE rate for the last 4 years (advised by accountants) and topped up by company dividends (legal) i am not entitled to any benefits, as my contributions are not up to date, ignorantly this was something i was not aware of, so indirectly i have caused this issue by listening to people who i employed to give me the best advice

I have worked for 24 years solidly, i have NEVER asked for anything from the state, i have 20 years worth of NI contributions from when i was employed. And now i want help i have effectively been told to eff off.....

it makes me really sick, there are people who have NEVER worked, who have NEVER contributed to the social benefits pot, and they are getting paid from it, that makes me really angry and at the same time sad that this is where the UK is, where is the incentive to work, if i wait long enough, get the missus up the duff and have a string of Asbo's i could have a whole host of benefits and assistance and still not have to work.

I have to say with the exception of the days that i lost my parents, today is about as low as i have ever been......i never want to be here again

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

K9d
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
Don't get me started on this one

I'm with you on this by the way.

Hope things get better for you.
AO Silver Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

MiTo 155 Veloce

That STINKS

Hope you manage to sort something out soon though
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
totally with you on this one jay. when you're self employed, you're screwed. we're expected to pay the same national insurance as everybody else, and yet we're not entitled to any benefits if it all goes downhill. fancy taking it to the euro court of human rights, why should s/e people have to pay NI when we're not allowed to ever benefit from it?
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

Saab and a Merc

I like Alfas and I'm a man - that's about all I guess we (the OP and I) have in common. I have more, or less, in common with everyone I know - a completely random section of society. One thing we all agree on is - what a f()cking shambles the benefit system is.

Any 'system' where you can leave school at 15, break the law as often as you like, never work, spawn equally useless off-spring etc etc, and get given shelter, benefits, healthcare and a pension is a total disgrace.

The last 40 years of Goverments should be wholly ashamed.

Everyone should have a 'pot of worth' - you pay into your pot when you work and pay tax, and you draw on it when you come upon hard times.

Haven't got any 'worth' in your 'pot' ?- sorry, you lazy uselss b&stard, no cash for you. You'd better get working.

Sorry to highjack your rant. I feel for you, and I'm angry that I live in a Country where good folk such as yourself suffer while lazy wasters survive on the back of our hard work.

PS - I realise that not everyone who at some point claims benefits is a waster or a bad person, I'm just illustrating the extremes.

Once Loved: 156 2.4JTD SP3
jay w

thanks for your comments guys, and the PM's, much appreciated

I will bounce back from this, and i will not forget this, i just hope that no one has to go through it....it really is disheartening

County: Merseyside
I had to claim back in 1998, like you say, soul destroying, i think its as close as i ever came to just giving up and jumping in a lake as i ever want to be, .
Really hope your star is back up there soon
Rewe

I feel for you Jay. Stay strong and I hope you have the best of luck.

HSTDriver

The benefit system, in theory, is a wonderful thing. It is (at least it should be) a symbol of a truly advanced country. Along with the NHS, these are ideas that should really mark out Britain as being a wonderful, modern, civilised country.

Sadly it's run so badly and so weighted against the genuine claimaints (that is those like the OP) and wieghted so in favour of those who just don't want to work, and have no intention of ever doing so, that it is a complete farce.

Rayq81

Jay, sorry you are having to go through this, im tempted to say what I think of the shambles that is the benefit system but will save it for another day. Good luck, keep your chin up and im sure things will get better for you.

AO Silver Member

County: Suffolk

Member car:

Volvo XC70

Having recently experienced the fiasco of the Benefits System via my son all I can say is that it is totally shambolic.
Because he wouldn't apply for a job 30 miles away and using public transport this would have meant a 3 hour journey to work and the same back, they stopped his JSA! The job was £4 per hour!

I am saddened to hear of your plight but I wish you well for the future. Things have a way of working out.

County: Oxfordshire
I am really sorry about this Jay.

It is a sad reflection of the mess that this country is in.

I won't say any more as it make me so angry.

I hope things sort themselves out for you soon.
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Totally agree with all the sentiments expressed on here Jay.

I hope that things get better for you soon, don't let yourself be ground down.

County: Hertfordshire
Quote:
Until today that is, i got a call from DWP, because i have been paid less that the PAYE rate for the last 4 years (advised by accountants) and topped up by company dividends (legal) i am not entitled to any benefits, as my contributions are not up to date, ignorantly this was something i was not aware of, so indirectly i have caused this issue by listening to people who i employed to give me the best advice
The fault lies with your accountants I would suggest you pursue the matter with them. Hopefully they have Professional Indemnity Insurance to cover this type of ill conceived advice!
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Sorry to hear about this chap.
mikebrown

keep ur chin up Jay...hope all works out for you...

AO Member

County: Surrey
Tomorrow is a new day as they say, as another self employed person, I couldn't imagine loosing my business and how I'd feel, I've come close, but I guess I;ve been very very lucky to be able to pull it around, but every year it gets harder and harder to trade for various reasons.

Does make you wonder why we pay so much tax, and yet the system which is supposed to help those who need it the most fails us when its needed the most.

Best of luck
AO Silver Member

County: Staffordshire

Member car:

Saab 9-3 Aero.

Thats awful Jay, i really hope things pick up for you soon. I read your story a while back, hoped you could of sorted it without this happening.

Good old poorly ran Britain.
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
Hell Jay - like others I thought this had been sorted. So sorry that it has come to this.

However you strike me - from previous posts - as a person who will fight back (not today for sure but you will).

I look forward to seeing your future posts when it has all been resolved. It will happen.

Good Luck,

Paul.
AO Platinum Member

County: Gloucestershire
Jay - you, me and some other AO'ers with a nice cold pint on Sunday

I'm in a not so similar position but as you know in bad form myself. You gave me some hope for my future. You WILL come back from this a much stronger person. Things will be great again.

Every great journey begins with a small step. Or something to that effect
AO Member

County: Bristol
I don't get this. How can they justify giving JSA to an individual who has never worked, thus not had the opportunity to make any contributions but not give it to someone who has worked for the last 25 years! So what are they going to do....Let you starve to death?
Mymatemarmite

I'm sorry to hear about this Jay. I'm always ranting with my friends about the utter unfairness of the benefits system in the U.K. You are completely right, the only way that you can gain anything from the benefits system is if you play them for mugs, which is what most of the bone idle scum in this country do......you can bet that those who really should be entitled will either get less than they should, or nothing at all. I'm sure you'll get things sorted(as an Alfa owner you know all about persiverence). Good luck and best wishes in getting things sorted very soon.

AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfred View Post
The fault lies with your accountants I would suggest you pursue the matter with them. Hopefully they have Professional Indemnity Insurance to cover this type of ill conceived advice!
Not that I wish to stick up for accountants ... but the money that they have saved him over the years is almost certainly more than he would have got in benefits ...

but Jay I completely agree the whole system is a complete shambles ... also it seems once on benefits it is almost impossible to get off them ...
bobster

I am lucky that a few years back I managed to sell my business & have retired early when I was 49/50, wife still works.

I kept one of our business & my son's have taken that over ,if I am really at a loss I sometime's go & help them until they get fed up & tell me sod off(10 minutes usually).

I Have been out of work when I was a teenager but back then in the mid 70's you could walk into a job with ease,not so nowadays though.
Hopefully without sounding patronising ,I really do feel for people in Jay's situation, I have good mate who has just had to give up a very well paid job as a 12 car transporter job his average weekly wage was £850 - £1000 per week so he did not give up this job lightly at all(how many would)he is one of the most conscienctious hard working people I know & absolutely honest!

He has Prostrate problems , Bowel problems arthitus in his spine & due to an accident 27 years ago needs a delicate operation on his neck that could render him paralysed ,so he will not have the op.

He is getting the princely sum of £62 per week for himself & his wife,this is sickness benefit & the wife gets income support,they get no help at all with there mortgage until mid december because he ahs(soon to be had) savings of over £16000....

I agree with Jay good luck to Jay & my mate who have slogged there guts out over the years to be repaid in this shabby fashion while these wasters from god knows where get well looked after,Rant over.

AO Member

Member car:

156 SW 1.8 TS

Jay,

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Agree that the system sucks and wishing you the best!

It could be worse you could be driving a Beemer!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Off Topic Section > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page