belt rant!!!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 19 Old 26-10-09 Thread Starter
tjg
AO Member

County: West Lothian
belt rant!!!!!

hi folks i found this on another site when looking for a owners manual;

"I had my Alfa from new and loved driving it. I had it serviced with the dealer until the warranty ran out and the dealership closed down about the same time, then I had it serviced locally.
I had only done 37500 miles, when,a couple of months ago, the cam belt broke and left me stranded near to my local garage.. It took them over 4 weeks to get it back to normal again, but the mechanics all said that they were astounded that the cam belt had gone at such low mileage.They said that normally it should not be before about 60k. They found some details which said that on this car it should be changed at 48k or 4 years, so I was just over the age range but nowhere near the mileage.
I have contacted Alfa UK about it and they don't want to know, because the last service was not carried out at a dealer. They apparently told dealers to start changing the belt at 36k or 3 years, almost 2 years ago, which was after my car had had it's final dealership service! What sort of a company is this , that does not inform the owners that they have changed the parameters?
I could go on for ages, but suffice it to say, I would NOT reccommend anyone to buy one of these cars unless you only intend to keep it a couple of years. The customer service is rubbish!!!
"

what an idiot!!! its people like these that drive the alfa name down and the reason why you get on a daily basis crap like "why do alfas have heated rear screens - to warm you hands when you are pushing them!" lol that was quite funny i must admit, i know alfa never have the best of cutomer service in the days of old but i have never recieved bad service off them?

hhhmmm that rant was over fast, i feel calm again

personally i think 60000 miles for any car is possibly a bit over ambitious seen as alfas in particular are built for performance placing many a strain on the ol timing belt,
i will admit alfa were pretty bad in the past but i feel they have made a real effort to get the dealer networks alot better, maybe not there yet and you do get some dogs of dealers!,
but,

anybody else feel alfa get a bit too much of a raw deal or am i being over protective with alfa!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unregistered

County: Nicosia
I have owned Alfa's for the past 8 years now.
I became so addicted , I now own a Sud Ti, 2 Sprints, 2 33's and a 156.

When I hear people nagging about Alfa's burning a lot of fuel , or being unreliable, it only means two things to me:
1 - They never owned an Alfa
or
2 - They are the kind of people who know nothing about cars and just use them to go from point A to point B, or just plain "posers".

I never ever ever took any of my Alfa's at the dealership for service, I change my cam belts every 30000 khms and if you exclude the one time I was left in the highway out of fuel , because I was too lazy and tired to stop and refuel the car, I've never been left in the streets.

I even get a bit "patriotic" if you like when people say bad things about Alfa's and get really really mad ! I always manage to prove them wrong though
Rewe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg View Post

what an idiot!!!

i know alfa never have the best of cutomer service in the days of old but i have never recieved bad service off them?
Why is he an idiot? His Alfa handbook suggested the belt was not due so why would he suspect otherwise? I wouldn't want to be forced to use a main dealer just on the off chance that a service interval has been changed and I would not be informed any other way. I would also feel aggrieved.

Are you ranting about Alfa bashing or Alfa dealer bashing? Many people, myself included, have had very unsatisfactory dealings with Alfa main dealers but are still fond of the brand. I suspect you are being a bit overprotective. There is an argument to be made that in the long enough term everyone tends to get the reputation they deserve - people, brands and dealers included.

AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

I think he's perfectly justified in his rant. His dealer should have known about the change in cam belt interval. How is he to know unless he hangs about on sites like this?
(Post Link) post #5 of 19 Old 26-10-09 Thread Starter
tjg
AO Member

well i think the guy is an idiot because of what he said at the end,
"i would not recomend to anybody to buy one of these cars",

he calls them "these cars" which i can only assume means he is now talking about the alfa cars in general, so because of his poor perception of the alfa dealer - which to be fair is most justified- and the unfortunate circumstances that occured with his car is no excuse to suddenly write of the brand.
although being what i would now call myself an alfitsi because of the serious alfa addiction!, i feel that it would be stupid to defend the dealerships as many have had bad experiences with them, although i have not. i know this does not make the dealerships suddenly amazing because i have recieved no such service but if i am not to quick to judge that the dealerships are not poor should he not hold back on the judgement.

we all know that there is more to alfa ownership than the dealerships and thank the big guy upstairs for that

maybe idiot was a bit strong, although i feel like that because the moment has passed , but i still find it possibly niave of him to read everything out the owners manual as gospel, as from what i gather from reading posts on here are many owners are misinformed of many information,

plus when i purchased my car i was informed by both the garage i have my car serviced at, the owner before me and you lovely people on here that the timing belt needs changed earlier,

ah nothing like a morning banter to distract me from work
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Bristol
Quote:
we all know that there is more to alfa ownership than the dealerships and thank the big guy upstairs for that
Now this may be where you are being a little naive. You see, not everyone knows this. You
do and some of your friends and people you know do. But not everyone. So I'm afraid the
chap is not an idiot. He just doesn't know the same things that you do.

(Post Link) post #7 of 19 Old 26-10-09 Thread Starter
tjg
AO Member

obviously that was not the sole reason i called him an idiot, such as his dislike for alfas after the incident.
i get a bit sick of the slating alfa gets, particularly in my work, every morining im greeted with, oh you got in, i take it you did not break down then lol your usual pre coffee banter,
perhaps the guy is not an idiot
and the point i was refering to of the guy being niave was that the guy was very quick to form a judgement on alfa as a whole,

like i said i have recieved no problems with the alfa dealerships but i dont automatically assume that they dealers are all good
AO Gold Member

Member car:

156 GTA SW

I know where he's coming from though. I've been slagging my Alfa off over the last week as it doesn't seem to matter how much money, care or attention I lavish on it, it finds something else to go wrong. It's part of the experience and I soon forget about it because I love the car, but when it breaks down yet again, I do find myself becoming very angry with the damn thing.
(Post Link) post #9 of 19 Old 26-10-09 Thread Starter
tjg
AO Member

your spot on badgers nadgers!, idiot was a bit strong, it not him its more the concept i am ranting about, how people are so quick to give up or make a drastic opinion about something, the same guy would probably turn round and say i bought the alfa because there is something about them that no one can put their finger on, style, charisma? something all other car makers seem to lack.although to be fair the point i did overlook is owning one does gives us the right to rant the hell of of one, suppose thats part of the ownership too!!! drive,break,rant,fix,rant,drive.....
AO Rosso Alfa Member

Last Saturday evening we had a meal with a friend of mine from school. We're the same
age so have been around listening to stories about cars and other things for the same
amount of time. We should have roughly the same impression about things like Alfas then.

Well, while we were eating she mentioned that a friend of hers had been trying to persuade
her to buy a 147. She really wanted to but in the end went for a Mazda. We asked why, expecting
to hear the usual old stories about reliability and rust and all the things that single us Alfaowners
out as being retards. But no, the Mazda was cheaper. She had never heard anybody knocking
Alfas. She thinks they are beautiful and possibly beyond her reach.

At times we can be a little too sensitive. People have all sorts of reasons for buying a car. And
those reasons are not the same as ours And some people are not satisfied unless the car
performs perfectly every single time they turn the key. If it doesn't, no matter what make it is,
the whole marque is tarred immediately with the brush of unreliability. And based on their experience,
they are right.

Alfa and manufacturers like them need to realise that with some customers they only get one
chance. The customer does not have to suffer from our blind loyalty. In truth, in many ways,
we are the idiots for allowing Alfa to get away with it for so long. Relying on our love of a
perception rather than providing us with the best possible service.

And they could do with realising that to most customers, the dealer is Alfa. They do not make
the distinction so if the dealer is bad, Alfa is bad.

bazza is nomes and my love child

My Flickr address: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gibboleica/

My website: http://www.lawrencedavidphotography.co.uk/

County: Derbyshire
Quote:
well i think the guy is an idiot because of what he said at the end,
"i would not recomend to anybody to buy one of these cars",
I guess that makes me an idiot as well, then! I have actually advised a couple of people not to buy an Alfa, based on my knowledge of what they expect from a car & my experience of three Alfas. I can honestly say that my experience of buying my current car from an Alfa dealer is the worst I've ever had in 40 years of buying used cars. Add to that poor quality, questionable durability (particularly suspension components), etc., & it becomes unlikely that I'll ever buy another Alfa.

Yes, I do want another Alfa; what I don't want is another car designed, built, sold or serviced by the current Alfa organisation.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "data".
(Post Link) post #12 of 19 Old 27-10-09 Thread Starter
tjg
AO Member

im an idiot too the car broke down this morning aarrggggghh, i get what you folks are saying though, anybody know anygood alfa jokes im heading to italy to see some family and might as well jump in with the banter!!
i will have to agree on the suspension components though dave, mines have been terrible, my previous car (renault clio) only needed new tyres.

perhaps in reflection i just dont like the stick i get because I have chose an alfa, people are more than entitled to an opinion but it does not help when (cue the violins) she dies on you in the morning on the way to work and you are standing in the peeing rain and some guy in a beemer shouts italian sh*t. then i got into work and got the same lol,
suppose i must admit i would not go to the extent of not getting another one, but i think a would get something else as well that would be reliable,
to add though i do get angry at how much the current regim charge for parts, particularly where i live and circumstances dependant i am forced to go to an alfa dealer, service is ok luckily but the pricing is dreadfull!!!!!
Rewe

Quote:
im an idiot too the car broke down this morning aarrggggghh,
No you are not, you have just had a bit of bad luck. Still, now you can test your theory about the service you will get from a franchised dealer!

Seriously, hope it is not too serious and it is easily fixed.

AO Gold Member

County: Conwy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Last Saturday evening we had a meal with a friend of mine from school. We're the same
age so have been around listening to stories about cars and other things for the same
amount of time. We should have roughly the same impression about things like Alfas then.

Well, while we were eating she mentioned that a friend of hers had been trying to persuade
her to buy a 147. She really wanted to but in the end went for a Mazda. We asked why, expecting
to hear the usual old stories about reliability and rust and all the things that single us Alfaowners
out as being retards. But no, the Mazda was cheaper. She had never heard anybody knocking
Alfas. She thinks they are beautiful and possibly beyond her reach.

At times we can be a little too sensitive. People have all sorts of reasons for buying a car. And
those reasons are not the same as ours And some people are not satisfied unless the car
performs perfectly every single time they turn the key. If it doesn't, no matter what make it is,
the whole marque is tarred immediately with the brush of unreliability. And based on their experience,
they are right.

Alfa and manufacturers like them need to realise that with some customers they only get one
chance. The customer does not have to suffer from our blind loyalty. In truth, in many ways,
we are the idiots for allowing Alfa to get away with it for so long. Relying on our love of a
perception rather than providing us with the best possible service.

And they could do with realising that to most customers, the dealer is Alfa. They do not make
the distinction so if the dealer is bad, Alfa is bad.
Expertly worded Sir
AO Rosso Alfa Member

Thank you

AO Silver Member

Alfas do appear to have issues with cam belts going. There are always some on here and e-bay as "spares or repair". They can't all be down to poor servicing.

County: Oxfordshire
Vauxhall/opel also had problems on their Ecotec engines.

And the belt tensioners are pretty much exactly the same and made by the same company.

Funny no one rants about Vauxhall cambelts snapping though, but considering the number of Vauxhalls sold compared to Alfa's there must have been a fair few.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1014
Garage
I must admit I always say to people that unless thay are going to be scrupulous (is that how you spell it) about servicing and getting funny noises checked then its not worth the bother. Turning the radio up is not a cure! I am an alfa addict like the rest of you which means like Icheb says, I must be an idiot! Don't care though cos i'll always own an alfa.
AO Gold Member

County: West Midlands
Vauxhall petrols are non-interference engines, so if the belt does go, just slap on a new one and there is no valve damage.

Diesels are a different matter as they are the same as in Alfas.

VAUXHALL TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT | VAUXHALL REPAIRS

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Off Topic Section > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page