Four year old dies at supermarket (responsibility, accountability and suing) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 49 Old 23-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Four year old dies at supermarket (responsibility, accountability and suing)

Now firstly before the link, this is tragic and the death of anyone is serious and i am not having a go at the event or anything like that.

Somerfield Tragedy: Harry Blackmore Killed After Bumping His Head In Store In Toxteth, Liverpool | UK News | Sky News

Quote:
The distraught parents, who have four daughters, are now suing the supermarket giant for negligence.
Suing the supermarket?!?!

The mother is said to have been stood feet away when the accident happened, So from what I can see the mother must have either:
- Not being paying attention to her child
- Seen the child and allowed him to continue.

It seems like no one in this day and age wants to accept any kind of responsibility or accountability for their own actions. everything is always someone elses fault and the answer is money, sue sue sue. Monetry reward for the loss of their child, if the supermarket were for whatever reason at fault, they should be prosecuting them not trying to get money from them.

Its disscusting, the automatic response to blame someone else and seek money. I wonder how much money they are suing for, how much was their child worth to them?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

sirwiggum

Expect to see rubber covering every surface and "Watch the bump" stickers everywhere next time you go to Tescos.

The death is sad.

But this is the problem with this generation, they want to breed and get benefits, but not take responsibility for their offspring. They throw them outside from no age and sit drinking Frosty Jacks all day. </prejudgemental>

Rayq81

Any parent who thinks that money will replace the life of their child is a callous sick person, what a rotten sick society we are turning into.

AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
Very sad but...I expect she didn't mind him swinging on the bar until the unforeseeable occurred.

Parents who let their children zip around supermarkets on their "Wheelie" trainers should take heed from this event.
jay w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz84 View Post
Now firstly before the link, this is tragic and the death of anyone is serious and i am not having a go at the event or anything like that.

Somerfield Tragedy: Harry Blackmore Killed After Bumping His Head In Store In Toxteth, Liverpool | UK News | Sky News

Suing the supermarket?!?!

The mother is said to have been stood feet away when the accident happened, So from what I can see the mother must have either:
- Not being paying attention to her child
- Seen the child and allowed him to continue.

It seems like no one in this day and age wants to accept any kind of responsibility or accountability for their own actions. everything is always someone elses fault and the answer is money, sue sue sue. Monetry reward for the loss of their child, if the supermarket were for whatever reason at fault, they should be prosecuting them not trying to get money from them.

Its disscusting, the automatic response to blame someone else and seek money. I wonder how much money they are suing for, how much was their child worth to them?
Words fail me....what has this world come to...

I feel for the family for their loss, but their willingness to sue leaves me aghast

scsc

The OP's general point about personal responsibility is very valid and I've no time for those who leap down the compensation route on any pretext, but.....

.... the throw away line at the end of the article stating that the rail "should not have been in that state" makes me wonder whether the supermarket could be culpable after all.

Not knowing the individual circumstances I wouldn't want to judge this particular case. Whatever the cause I would extend my sympathy to the parents who have lost a child.

0of0

A tragic tale indeed

As far as the suing part goes though - thanks America

AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
I agree entirely - I thought exactly the same when I read the article on BBC News yesterday.

I remember reading some comment saying that it was a working class area and had lots of children around so the railing shouldn't have been there.

Er...what?
AO Gold Member

County: -
I suspect the suing is in part due to them not being able to cope with the death. The Article tells us the parents were 'over protective'. They are probably feeling very guilty at what has happened. This action is the result. Not knowing the true story we cannot really comment on whether they should or should not sue.
None of us know how we would react in the same situation.
0of0

I would be feeling guilty of not 'responsibly' watching my child while shopping & letting Him swing on 'bars' - it's a supermarket, not a playground
This 'claim nation' attitude is becoming tiresome

AO Gold Member

County: Suffolk

Member car:

Mazda 6 zugara

I'm not too sure they would even get anywhere with it.
I attempted suing Ipswich Hospital after I lost my child,(and almost myself) but gave in in the end as it cost too much and I felt it wouldn't help anybody.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Seat Ateca SE

My sis-in-law almost died giving birth due to the hospital making an almighty ****-up, would have killed the baby as well.
She thought about suing but didn't have the money to even get her records so she decided that the apology she got and the fact that the person responsible had been sacked/struck off was enough.
She was just grateful for those who did their jobs and saved her and hers babys life.
I have no real comment to make on the original purpose of the thread but I hate the compo culture these days.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Mazda 6 zugara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfamack View Post
My sis-in-law almost died giving birth due to the hospital making an almighty ****-up, would have killed the baby as well.
She thought about suing but didn't have the money to even get her records so she decided that the apology she got and the fact that the person responsible had been sacked/struck off was enough.
She was just grateful for those who did their jobs and saved her and hers babys life.
I have no real comment to make on the original purpose of the thread but I hate the compo culture these days.
I never even got an apology.
EddieGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayq81 View Post
Any parent who thinks that money will replace the life of their child is a callous sick person, what a rotten sick society we are turning into.
I think you sum it up well there Ray.

sirwiggum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayq81 View Post
I would suggest, that there are members of society, who solely have a child for the purpose of increasing their income / obtaining a house....

(Dons flame proof suit)

EddieGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwiggum View Post
I would suggest, that there are members of society, who solely have a child for the purpose of increasing their income / obtaining a house....

(Dons flame proof suit)
I would also suggest there are some members of society who make it there ambition in life to achieve nothing, not work or be a useful member of society and just get up the duff to get benefits and live off them.

Do you have a spare flame proof suit???

Andyboy

Two things; Toxteth, and 'family solicitor Rex Makin'. What are the odds the (unmarried) parents don't have meaningful employment?

We all see the scratters and their horrible noisy brats in Supermarkets running amok.
Good luck Guys. I bet Somerfield can afford a slightly better solicitor than you.

Even so, a tragedy, the poor little Sod.

AO Platinum Member

County: Gloucestershire
Quote:

(Dons flame proof suit)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieGTA View Post
I would also suggest there are some members of society who make it there ambition in life to achieve nothing, not work or be a useful member of society and just get up the duff to get benefits and live off them.

Do you have a spare flame proof suit???
I was going to state these points, but you got there first. Well done guys. By the way, I have two spare flame proof suits.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Mazda 6 zugara

Just wanna say in my defence mine was a totally different case. they knew my condition and didnt think to tell me untill the worst happened
sirwiggum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowAngel x View Post
Just wanna say in my defence mine was a totally different case. they knew my condition and didnt think to tell me untill the worst happened
Sorry, wasn't referring to your case. Sorry to hear of your loss but glad you are with us.

AO Gold Member

Member car:

Mazda 6 zugara

Quote:
Sorry, wasn't referring to your case. Glad you both ended up ok though
The baby died but i'm ok (had less than 40 mins to live) ( i just didn't want to appear as a money grabbing wotsit) :P
0of0

SA am very sorry to read your tale

Yours is a totally different situation hun - incompetance maybe on the hospitals behalf?, can't believe you didn't even recieve an apology

sirwiggum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowAngel x View Post
The baby died but i'm ok (had less than 40 mins to live) ( i just didn't want to appear as a money grabbing wotsit) :P
Sorry I didn't read it correctly, I re-read and edited accordingly just before you posted. Sorry again for your loss. You never came across as a money grabbing wotsit, not what we are ranting about.

AO Gold Member

Member car:

Mazda 6 zugara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-nom-nom View Post
SA am very sorry to read your tale

Yours is a totally different situation hun - incompetance maybe on the hospitals behalf?, can't believe you didn't even recieve an apology
I got nothing. they stated non liability.
My condition was in my notes when my daughter was born in 99 and when everything went boobs up in 01 and i was rushed to hospital, the next day they said 'oh we think we know whats wrong'
Like someone else said, we couldn't afford to pay for my own notes.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Mazda 6 zugara

Quote:
Sorry I didn't read it correctly, I re-read and edited accordingly just before you posted. Sorry again for your loss. You never came across as a money grabbing wotsit, not what we are ranting about.
I know you weren't hun but i just wanted to make it clear

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Off Topic Section > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page