So-called "small cars" these days - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 14-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Hertfordshire
So-called "small cars" these days

For a while now, I've wondered how long the trend of small cars getting bigger can continue.

Mid-sized cars like the Toyota Auris and Honda Civic are massive inside and out (I drive examples of both for work) and even "supermini" class cars are a whole lot bigger than they used to be.

I know I'm stating the obvious here (we've all seen it with out own eyes), but to highlight how ridiculous the whole situation is nowadays, here's a picture I took in my company car park the other day.

On the left, a Hyundai Amica. On the right, a Toyota Yaris. Sandwiched between these leviathans is my Bella. And there was me thinking that the 166 is generally considered to be a "large" car.

PS: The filename of the picture. "Image166.jpg" was chosen automatically by my 'phone! How about that for a coincidence!

Swiss likes to tweet! Follow me @SwissMorgan

My current car: 2004 (04) VW Golf 2.0 GT TDi 140 DSG
My previous car: 1999 (T) Alfa Romeo 166 2.5 V6 24v Sportronic Lusso
My username: AramisEvilSwissToniTMIMorganFreeThemsmartypants156SW166
Aramis of the SMUTsketeers, honorary member of the Durty Dozen, founder of The Literate and member of Trumpets and Muppets.

Last edited by Morgan166; 13-09-10 at 09:33.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nev

Good point.

AO Platinum Member

County: herts
True. Big boxes, but lift the bonnet, where's the engine?
sirwiggum

Yes, the other day my fairer half parked her mk6 (before the current "new" one) Fiesta beside a Sierra. It was only a couple of inches shorter than the jellymould!

Noticed too when I had the Xantia it was about the same length as a "supermini" 207.

They're getting that big that car companies keep having to put smaller cars in their place.

The new Polo is as big as a mk1 Golf (which itself used to be a small car), so they brought in the Fox.

The new Fiesta is as big as a mk1 Focus, so they have the Ka, which itself is now bigger than the original.

The Yaris, as demonstrated in your picture, is so big they replaced the supermini with the Aygo and the iQ thing.

It's to do with extra airbags and impact bars and luxuries such as aircon and multiple speakers (compare a Fiat Panda mk1 or a Citroen AX with a modern supermini and the modern car is a huge step up in terms of the feeling of solidity and toys).

Bit annoying though that parking space widths remain static, while young mothers try and squeeze huge SUV 4x4s beside your GTV / 166.

AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Know which I prefer !
(Post Link) post #6 of 20 Old 14-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howell811 View Post
Know which I prefer !
It wasn't a difficult decision as I walked across the car park!

Made even easier by the fact the indicators on the 166 flashed as I pressed the lock/unlock button on the key!
sirwiggum

Quote:
Originally Posted by howell811 View Post
Know which I prefer !
The Hyundai Atozamica thing?

(Post Link) post #8 of 20 Old 14-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwiggum View Post
The Hyundai Atozamica thing?
Dude, it's a totally sweet ride. Nothing beats the feeling of the one litre Hyundai engine straining at the redline. Snicking it into third is your next reward, the change accurate as a book depository gunman, whilst remaining smooth as Roger Moore inspecting a roll of finest silk in a whiskey distillery.
sirwiggum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan166 View Post
Dude, it's a totally sweet ride. Nothing beats the feeling of the one litre Hyundai engine straining at the redline. Snicking it into third is your next reward, the change accurate as a book depository gunman, whilst remaining smooth as Roger Moore inspecting a roll of finest silk in a whiskey distillery.
The Atoz/amica thing was the dregs of Hyundai's celebratory party: the half-filled glasses, the cold beans and herring, the shouts and smells of the crapulous strangers hemming them in on every side, the dead rinsed-out September night and the rain drooling down the windows.

AO Silver Member

County: East Ayrshire

Member car:

156 JTS

Remember having a old D reg Fiat Panda and it was pretty much the size of a rollerskate. No chance of rear doors as it was far too small. Most small cars come in 5 doors as well now. Remeber cars like the 126. Don't think I would get in one now being honest.
sirwiggum

Quote:
Originally Posted by danant View Post
Remember having a old D reg Fiat Panda and it was pretty much the size of a rollerskate. No chance of rear doors as it was far too small. Most small cars come in 5 doors as well now. Remeber cars like the 126. Don't think I would get in one now being honest.
Especially nowadays when every other car is a huge 4x4 SUV whose tyres are bigger than a Fiat 126

(Post Link) post #12 of 20 Old 14-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

I used to own a Fiat 126! I bought it from a mate's dad for £300, just to use as a runaround.

Within weeks, all the gears on the bottom row of the 'box stopped working (2, 4, R), which meant I had to scream around everywhere in 1st and 3rd (no 5th gear in that car!)

Luckily, as the car only weighed the same as a minicab driver's jewel-encrusted tissue box, reverse was handled by kicking open the drivers' door and using my foot on the road to push the car backwards.

Just imagine the sight. I am a 6ft tall bloke who weighs about 15(ish) stone. In a Fiat 126.
sirwiggum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan166 View Post
I used to own a Fiat 126! I bought it from a mate's dad for £300, just to use as a runaround.

Within weeks, all the gears on the bottom row of the 'box stopped working (2, 4, R), which meant I had to scream around everywhere in 1st and 3rd (no 5th gear in that car!)

Luckily, as the car only weighed the same as a minicab driver's jewel-encrusted tissue box, reverse was handled by kicking open the drivers' door and using my foot on the road to push the car backwards.

Just imagine the sight. I am a 6ft tall bloke who weighs about 15(ish) stone. In a Fiat 126.
I am reminded of this for some reason
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 475.jpg (29.4 KB, 5 views)

AO Gold Member

County: Conwy
My wife's Corsa is bigger then the Astra she had 12 years ago
sirwiggum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icheb View Post
My wife's Corsa is bigger then the Astra she had 12 years ago
That's why they have the Agila as the "proper" small car.

At the other end, the likes of Vauxhall and Ford did away with the Omega / Granada as the Vectra and Mondeo were getting that big too!

AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
+1 and people wonder why modern "small" cars have such poor mpg's compared to there older equivilants
AO Silver Member

I've got a mate who thinks the packaging of his new mini is sooooo much better than the original because its got more space inside...
sirwiggum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mave View Post
I've got a mate who thinks the packaging of his new mini is sooooo much better than the original because its got more space inside...
Cause it's as big as a Maxi?

K9d
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
Never realised my 166 was a compact car.
(Post Link) post #20 of 20 Old 17-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9d View Post
Never realised my 166 was a compact car.
Came as a bit of a shock to me too, hence the need to take a picture!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Off Topic Section > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page