Stadium rock - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 24-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
Stadium rock

I dunno if this is a rant, but it will probably turn into one by the time I finish typing....

Over the weekend I had the pleasure of seeing U2 at Cardiff. It was a really good gig and I never realised that U2 would be as good live as they were.

So no problem with the band. But I do have issues with the general organisation, safety and behaviour of people attending. It's a football stadium, with a massive crowd crammed onto what would normally be the football pitch. People so tightly packed they are literally shoulder to shoulder and chest to back. Now what happens if someone has a heart attack / kidney failure / panic attack etc etc? No safety stewards in sight anywhere. A fight nearly broke out near where I was standing, but no security to be seen anywhere nearby. No bag searches on the way in and I know for a fact that one person near me was carrying a knife.

Supposing the crowd surge forward? No barriers of any type seperating the thousands of people there. Surely people would be crushed to death? It's been seen before in football stadiums. Does it have to actually happen before we prevent it?

And finally I'm going to moan about the general animal behaviour of people attending the event. If one needs to relieve oneself, surely one would head for the door clearly marked "toilets"? No? Well I would, but maybe I'm unusual. It seems that it's more normal to p*ss in ones beer glass and then tip it over the floor. I have been told today that at the last Oasis concert, not only did people relieve themselves in beer glasses, but they then threw their fluids over the people around them.

Animal Britain? Definitely. I also had French and Belgian people standing near me and their behaviour was excellent, even though they were drinking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

I picked up a couple of my friends after the U2 Concert in Cardiff, and they loved it, said it was a really great atmosphere there too, so I'm a little bit suprised to see your comments there. I've also been to many Concerts there at the Millenium Stadium, and NEVER seen the type of behaviour you are talking about here !!!!!.......
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

BTW.....

Its NOT a football stadium, its an all purpose Venue, which holds MANY types of events, from Rock Concerts to Truck Racing to the Six Nations Rugby Games, so it is well equipped to deal with large Crowds, and if you remember correctly held the F.A. Cup Final, and Charity Shield matches whilst Wembley was being rebuilt, all of which went off with no problems at all !!!!!.......

Don't know just WHY you have such a grudge against the place, after ONE visit !!!!!!........
(Post Link) post #4 of 20 Old 24-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n13roy View Post
BTW.....

Its NOT a football stadium, its an all purpose Venue, which holds MANY types of events, from Rock Concerts to Truck Racing to the Six Nations Rugby Games, so it is well equipped to deal with large Crowds, and if you remember correctly held the F.A. Cup Final, and Charity Shield matches whilst Wembley was being rebuilt, all of which went off with no problems at all !!!!!.......

Don't know just WHY you have such a grudge against the place, after ONE visit !!!!!!........
It's actually my second visit to Cardiff stadium. I don't have a problem with the place, it's the general organisation and lack of safety etc. It was similar at Hyde Park earlier in the year. I couldn't believe that in the current climate of terrorism etc that my friend was allowed to walk straight into Cardiff stadium with a large bag and nobody wanted to look in it. At least Hyde Park checked bags, although when someone collapsed in front of me there were no stewards available to help and someone had to make a 10 minute walk to get help. At Cardiff stadium I actually saw someone threaten someone else with a knife during the concert.

It's not a grudge - I'm just stating facts. I saw what I saw and nothing is going to change that. At least 10 other people saw the same thing. Rock concerts of this type are a disaster waiting to happen and instead of maximising their profits, organisers should pay a lot more attention to crowd control and anti terrorism.
keithyboy

Apparently throwing **** about the place is the done thing at certain gigs including Oasis and the Arctic Monkeys.

I saw supergrass at the Manchester apollo once and there was some sort of melee at the front in what I'm told is called the mosh pit or something. Some soap dodging monkey boy came barrelling out of it and crashed into myself and Mrs K. I threw the scruffy get back in at twice the speed and it became a sort of game for them.

The only stadium gigs I've been to were at Eastlands; Chilli Peppers and Bon Jovi and it ****ed down at both. I didn't stand near the front though as I'm old and need a comfy seat.

HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post

I saw supergrass at the Manchester apollo once and there was some sort of melee at the front in what I'm told is called the mosh pit or something.
No, Supergrass do not have a mosh pit.

Slayer have a mosh pit

Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Society has a high percentage of idiots
+
Concerts have a lot of people at them
=
Lots of idiots at concerts.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Seat Ateca SE

All this talk of Oasis concerts and things getting thrown reminds me of the Knebworth gig in '96.

I was standing with then girlfriend (future wife/ now ex-wife) watching all the shenanigans going on around us, plastic bottles with STUFF in them, blow up dolls, ball etc, when out of the corner of my eye I saw something winging it's way in our direction.
I stepped back and pulled girly out of harms way just in time to see a, what I can only describe as, A 1KG TUB OF COLESLAW, splatter all over some poor bloke who just happened to be in the firing line.

I know it to be coleslaw 'cos I saw it with my own eyes. Cabbage and carrot all over the place.

Anyway, the gig was good, apart from the horrendous queues to get out!
AO Member

County: Greater London
I saw U2 at Wembley a couple of fridays back and it was excellent.Was a treat for the girlfriend's birthday , view was superb was very impressed with the facilates .Food and drink while a bit limited was reasonable priced, people were searched on the way in but in a freindly manner , no over zealous idotis.Only pain was the queue when leaving trying to get back on the tube ,but even this was done in a suprisingly good humored way .

Overall the only thing that grated was them charging £15 for a programme!
AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
I just wouldnt have gone to see U2 in the first place there by avoiding the whole issue
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
there was some sort of melee at the front in what I'm told is called the mosh pit or something. Some soap dodging monkey boy came barrelling out of it and crashed into myself and Mrs K. I threw the scruffy get back in at twice the speed and it became a sort of game for them.

That is perfectly normal behavior for the front of any decent gig (and Supergrass).

If you are small like me you get to go crowd surfing as well.

If you want to listen to music stick a CD on.
If you want to experience live music get in the pit.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfens View Post
That is perfectly normal behavior for the front of any decent gig (and Supergrass).

If you are small like me you get to go crowd surfing as well.

If you want to listen to music stick a CD on.
If you want to experience live music get in the pit.
what this man said

i do agree about the bag searchs and pat down before but when ever ive seen that done its only to stop you taking your own booze to maximise there profits

but its comments like these that get health and safty officers excited and they wouldent let anyone go to any gig because in there eyes everyone is a blind death suicidal loony

im working for a yacht rigging firm at the moment climing up the yachts masts to do repairs now im not being unfair here but if you are wheel chair bound you carnt do my job but ower new work shop has to have wheel chair access even though customers are not allowed in because of health and safty which has to be a set incline and is to long for the space so needs a 90 degree bend in

Andy
VO2Max

I was at Knebworth in 1978 (?) and Genesis topped the bill, with bands such as the Atlanta Rhythm Section and Frank Zappa in support. Also on the bill however, were a new band called Devo, who were 'New Wave', wore plastic shell boiler-suits, flowerpots on their heads and were kind of, well...weird.
In actual fact, they were brilliant, they rocked like hell and blew most of the other bands off the stage. Sadly they were pelted with all manner of old fruit and rocks etc but imagine my disbelief when the party of fetid, ugly, violent bikers who were camping next to us (downwind, thankfully) spent a good 30mins filling a Party Seven tin with their plss (I guess you could look at it as an early form of recycling) and then gleefully lobbed it up on-stage, hitting the bass player squarely on the chest. To my amazement he just stood there with his legs apart, thrashing at his instrument, glaring at these hideous cretins as he played on - EXCELLENT! How cool was that?
Are we not Men?!! Jocko Homo!

Nev

U2 at Nice was great,

Would have taken a lot to screw it up.

Atmosphere was party central.

Only issue was that the bar staff were lax.

AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilzAlfa View Post
I know for a fact that one person near me was carrying a knife.
Should of left the missus at home !
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbr130 View Post

but its comments like these that get health and safty officers excited and they wouldent let anyone go to any gig because in there eyes everyone is a blind death suicidal loony
Hence the song Safety Dance by the Men Without Hats... apparently in response to a ban on moshing in Canada.

(off topic: you have a cool job sir. When I usd to sail in my youger thinner days I was always getting sent aloft as I was the lightest)
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Just come back from seeing ( sort of ) Coldplay at Wembey Stadium, and I can honestly say it was one of the worst Concerts I have ever been to. The sound was atrocious, the seats were about a mile away from the stage, with about 200 steps to get to them. The food / drink was a total rip off, once you are inside the place ( and outside ) and really its almost like a building site around the place both inside and around Wembley. I won't be going back there again no matter WHO is playing there, thats a cert. Bloody awful venue all round !!!!!......
(Post Link) post #18 of 20 Old 24-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n13roy View Post
BTW.....
Sorry - couldn't resist ...
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:

BTW, I went to see the Foo Fighters at the new Wembley, and they were awesome.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Quote:

Nice One......

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Off Topic Section > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page