Motorway signs - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 27-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
Motorway signs

I've just done a 200 mile round trip on the motorways and really enjoyed giving my Alfa a good run. A big thanks to Pocket GPS World for their sat nav speed camera database, which successfully predicted the presence of a mobile camera unit on the bridge just around the corner....

And now for the rant. We are supposed to be saving the environment are we not? We are constantly being told (and threatened) by the government and councils that we have to recycle, not use carrier bags, turn off lights and appliances, use low energy lightbulbs etc etc etc ad nauseum. The government even went so far as to ban the dreaded 100W incandescent bulbs. So my question is: why does the government think it's acceptable to waste huge amounts of energy by displaying useless and pointless messages on motorway signs? In addition to wasting energy, they are encouraging me (at 70MPH) to take my eye off the road and off the car in front, to read their useless drivel.

E.g. it's 30 miles to Swindon. Check your mirrors for bikes. Drive carefully. Don't speed. Don't drink and drive. You will arrive at Swindon in 45 minutes.

Now obviously it's a great idea to tell me that the motorway is at a standstill just around the next corner due to a massive accident, but why the hell do we have to put up with all the other junk? On the same stretch of motorway where they are displaying these pointless messages, they are turning off motorway lighting after midnight to save energy. Well somebody is barking mad - and it ain't me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

sirwiggum

All part of the soviet nuLabour nanny police state.

Expecting to see these on the signs soon:

"WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH."

What would be really handy would be if they told me of tailbacks BEFORE I reached the end of the queue, ie. before the last possible turnoff.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Off Topic Section > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page