Temporary Traffic Lights - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 11-07-09 Thread Starter

Temporary Traffic Lights

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed an alarming increase in utterly pointless TTL's?

just recently on a dead flat, straight bit of unclassified road out of a rural village in East Sussex there was a set of these that, and I kid you not, the lights were a whole TWO METRES apart. They had removed a drain that was ON THE GRASS VERGE not even on the carriageway, and had these irrelevant "Health and Safety" TTL's.

Now some 20 metres before these lights is the edge of the village where cars are parked on both sides of the road. And would you believe it,,,,,,,,everyone gets past.

Now anyone that knows the Hawkhurst to Cranbrook road will know that you get 2 large vehicles traveling in opposing directions it can cause a bit of a PITA, but it always works out. So why, 1/2 way down the hill did they decide to use another set of completely unnecessary TTL's that TOTALLY fouled things up, that AGAIN were unmanned and stretched for a WHOPPING 3 metres (about the length of a large car)

THEN on a 5 mile stretch of, again unclassified, road between Tenterden and Cranbrook there were SEVEN sets if the infernal menace! Only ONE of which was apparently 'necessary' as it was on a blind bend and the so-called 'works' took up a fair old stretch (not that there was anyone actually DOING any work)

BLOODY H&S CRAP!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
I know your pain. And whats more irritating is when you pull up to them and you can clearly see the road ahead is clear but they take half an hour to go green.
Drives me nuts.
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 11-07-09 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crespo2121 View Post
I know your pain. And whats more irritating is when you pull up to them and you can clearly see the road ahead is clear but they take half an hour to go green.
Drives me nuts.
And you WAIT?

No chance here.

(dunno if it's still the same now but when I was enforcing the law the fine for contravening a TTL was a non-endorsable £20 Fixed Penalty whereas a permanent light contravention was a 3 pointer with £40......yes I appreciate that the fines have increased but the offence...)
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Yes I've noticed it too, exactly the same here in Blackpool, temporary lights on a road wide enough for even two buses to pass with the road works in place has been deemed to require TTL's - for exactly the same thing, replacing a drain on a grass verge at least three foot from the road.

Similarly it has been absolute chaos at one of the busiest crossroads in the town recently, they shut off the nearside lane of a dual carriageway 50 yards before the lights because there was an open manhole, for whatever reason, on the footpath just after the lights. The right hand lane filters into a right turn for a supermarket and retail park, the road is one of the main exits out of the town so you can imagine the chaos with everybody stuck in the one lane for no discernable reason whatsoever. It's also one of those junctions where only one of the four roads is on green at any one time since they altered it, again for no apparent reason, last year - it worked fine before.

The ridiculous thing is I go up and down that road several times a day and never, ever saw anybody working there. You wouldn't mind so much if the job didn't take them three months to do whatever bit of a job they were doing. I often wonder how many accidents are actually caused by tired, frustrated drivers just trying to get to or from work or wherever because all the needless hold ups have resulted in a loss of concentration.
AO Silver Member

County: East Ayrshire

Member car:

156 JTS

Wouldn't mind so much but it gets to you when they seem to put the lights up ages before any actual work is done. You drive through them dozens of times over a week or two and see no one near them. I'm sure now TTL are treated the same as permanent lights for fixed penalties.

My other roadwork moan is the temporary speed restrictions put in place to protect the workforce when there isn't any bloody workforce there.
Nev

They still use two blocks with lollypop stop/go signs a lot here.

FoZ
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

54 GT JTS

All the TTLs we've had up round here for little bits of roadworks taking up a few metres of a lane recently have actually been turned off at night which has been a welcome bit of sensibility. If there's no one behind me and it's clear to go then I ignore the lights at night anyway.

I remember watching a program a while ago about roadworks that got started but then no work was done on them for ages. Turned out it was something really stupid like if BT for example needed to dig up a road they'd do the paperwork side of it before they could start work but then there's no restriction to how long they can take. The program protested back by setting up some fake roadworks on the road to the staff car park of a company with loads of ongoing roadworks and held up their staff with a guy and a stop/go sign.
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoZ View Post
All the TTLs we've had up round here for little bits of roadworks taking up a few metres of a lane recently have actually been turned off at night which has been a welcome bit of sensibility. If there's no one behind me and it's clear to go then I ignore the lights at night anyway.

I remember watching a program a while ago about roadworks that got started but then no work was done on them for ages. Turned out it was something really stupid like if BT for example needed to dig up a road they'd do the paperwork side of it before they could start work but then there's no restriction to how long they can take. The program protested back by setting up some fake roadworks on the road to the staff car park of a company with loads of ongoing roadworks and held up their staff with a guy and a stop/go sign.
Like it!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Off Topic Section > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page