Had an accident yesterday. Not in an Alfa BUT - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 07-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Seat Ateca SE

Had an accident yesterday. Not in an Alfa BUT

rant pt1

Why is it that people feel the need to stop in lane one of a dual carriageway to let someone in lane 2 who is behind a car turning right into lane one.

rant pt2

Why doesn't the old bloke who stopped in lane 1 see that in stopping he created a 4 car accident. Not technically his fault as it was the 4th car that hit the 3rd car, that hit me and I hit him.

If you were on the A556 at the Mere traffic lights turning into the golf club, then your game had an influence in causing a 4 car accident.

Thankfully only bent metal and a few little aches but the ballache of getting the car sorted especially as I'm due to drive to Scotland on Hols for a week ****es me off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

keithyboy

Re: Had an accident yesterday. Not in an Alfa BUT

Yet another very good reason not to play golf if you ask me!

People just don't think at times. I'm all for being polite and letting people in to keep the traffic moving etc but performing a virtual emergency stop to do it is just plain daft.

Hope you get it sorted in time for your hols.

AO Silver Member

County: Durham

Member car:

Alfa 147 1.6 TS

That is very anoying, I hope you get your car fixed soon.
(Post Link) post #4 of 14 Old 07-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Seat Ateca SE

I don't like the car that much and was tempted to tell the coppers that I needed the jaws of life to take the roof off as I had an ingrown toe nail stopping me from getting out!
Its just the hassle that a little thing like the 1st car stopping causes a lot of ballache for the ther 3 cars, although the car at the back was an Audi A6 and had the worst damage of the lot.

Ah well I'll drive it until the company replaces it.
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

The person at the front must have really slammed their brakes on. Either that or nobody was looking where they were going.
AO Member

Member car:

156 Sportwagon

It never ceases to amaze me how many people don't know how to join a major road from a slip road.

It is not for the drivers on the main road to slow down (although of course a degree of consideration is always welcome); the drivers on the slip road have to match their speed to the traffic already on the main road and simply join the traffic flow.
(Post Link) post #7 of 14 Old 08-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Seat Ateca SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgers_nadgers View Post
The person at the front must have really slammed their brakes on. Either that or nobody was looking where they were going.
It wasn't a cae of him slamming his brakes on, but more thinking of why is he letting that pillock in lane 2 into lane 1 just because he's stuck behind a car turning right. I was thinking, "He's not going to let him in is he?" as I was slowing behing him. The stopping was just the icing on the cake. In the middle of a very busy junction. If you know the area you'll understand.

I slowed and stopped with a few feet to spare. Guy behing me had a look of fear on his face as he realised I had had to stop. I eased off the brakes and edged forward as he was planting his foot on the brakes. When I saw his suspension settle I knew he hadn't hit me.
Then the 4th car battered into him, not paying attention? Not for me to say. As all the distances between the first 3 cars were down to a bare minimum, that bump pushed all the cars into each other.

County: West Lothian
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfamack View Post
I don't like the car that much and was tempted to tell the coppers that I needed the jaws of life to take the roof off as I had an ingrown toe nail stopping me from getting out!
I take it then that it wasn't this pinnacle of design excellence, (the one you no longer admit to) or did you need the jaws of life because the roof was stuck?
Attachment 58091 <----- hidden from immediate view to spare your blushes, .

Seriously though, at least you're OK, - although I can point you towards a very good lawyer if you start feeling the effects of whiplash in a day or two, .
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfamack View Post
It wasn't a cae of him slamming his brakes on, but more thinking of why is he letting that pillock in lane 2 into lane 1 just because he's stuck behind a car turning right. I was thinking, "He's not going to let him in is he?" as I was slowing behing him. The stopping was just the icing on the cake. In the middle of a very busy junction. If you know the area you'll understand.

I slowed and stopped with a few feet to spare. Guy behing me had a look of fear on his face as he realised I had had to stop. I eased off the brakes and edged forward as he was planting his foot on the brakes. When I saw his suspension settle I knew he hadn't hit me.
Then the 4th car battered into him, not paying attention? Not for me to say. As all the distances between the first 3 cars were down to a bare minimum, that bump pushed all the cars into each other.
I know the area very well, it's on my route up to Manchester AvPark.

It's a fast-flowing dual carriageway and I think I'm right in saying I've seen a near-accident every time.

Especially at the right turn at the pub (can't remember what it's called) where everyone in the right lane panicks at the amount of people turning right and barge into the left lane just as you're accelerating away
AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp Freddie View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how many people don't know how to join a major road from a slip road.

It is not for the drivers on the main road to slow down (although of course a degree of consideration is always welcome); the drivers on the slip road have to match their speed to the traffic already on the main road and simply join the traffic flow.
What the majority fail to realise is that if they are unable to join they must stop.

I recently had to do a emergency stop as some old duffer stopped dead on a dual carriageway to allow someone to pull out of a slip road when lane two was empty.

AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Agree with above there is always some pillock stopping on a main road to let someone out when everybody else behind him is travelling at 60 mph ... or maybe this is a new rant but when people pull out of a side road slowley then when you have braked and lost your momentum then and only then do they speed off .!

Sorry to hear about your accident but at least you were not hurt
(Post Link) post #12 of 14 Old 24-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Seat Ateca SE

Thanks for everyones comments, even Romeoraider's. Luckily it was the company motor that I'm too embarassed to admit to that took the bump not the wifes Mini.
Goes in on Monday so I'll get a Corsa or similar to tootle about in.

Unfortunately/Fortunately the pain in my neck has gone, so being a decent honest law abiding citizen, I can't even put a claim in for whiplash. I was looking forward to a bit of extra cash.
AO Member

long and short of it, any manouver you carry out should never cause another road user to take any form of avoiding action, whether that be braking or swerving etc.

Thats what I was taught and what I drive too
(Post Link) post #14 of 14 Old 27-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Seat Ateca SE

Got the hire car today... OMG

CANT BELIEVE MY LUCK. Driver who collected mine, had a look at the dameage and said it'll be 2-3 weeks as the rear floor will need replacing meaning I'm left with the hire car.....

A PEUGEOT 207SW 1.4 PETROL THAT CAN'T PULL THE SKIN OFF A RICE PUDDING!!!

Come tomorrow I'll be straight onto the hire company to get something with a bit of power. The ruddy thing struggles to hit 70 through the gears
I even tried to redine it while in 3rd gear, had to give up in the end as I was falling asleep waiting for it. As much as I despise my company car, I want it back. At least it goes through the gears.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page