Garden thieving neighbours - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 57 Old 20-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
Madness Garden thieving neighbours

Thank God for the rant room! I have to vent my spleen soon or I'll explode!

Our wealthy but chavvy, inconsiderate, dodgy, twonk neighbours have had extensive building work done on their house for 18 months now. They bought another house on the street while the work is done so they weren't inconvenienced.

We've had one or two long skips outside our house for a year (changed every few days/weeks of course) so there's no parking.

Two nights ago I had to go "have a word" when I got home to find their builders had dumped huge wooden crates, planks, plastic and other crap all over the entire far end of my garden by their drive.

The builder moved this the next day.

Tonight I get home after MrsJim called me to warn me to find they had (1) dug out two large bushes from my garden, (2) stolen >1.5m triangle corner of my garden and (3) basically trashed the lawn to the side of the area they've nicked to widen the neighbours drive!

I am bl0000000dy fuming. Lisa was so angry she went round before I got home and ended up talking to their grown up daughter. They've conveniently "gone away" to their holiday home for a few days.

This will probably cost me legal fees I can ill afford. I can see it coming.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Jan 2019 New Giulia Veloce Misano Blue
2008-15 New 159Ti experience: overwhelmingly positive. Reliable and fun over nearly 100k.
2015-18 147 1.6TS runaround
6/9/12 - 15 New Mito 135MA Distinctive - 100% reliable 37k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Re: Garden thieving neighbours

I quick call to building control/the planning office should sort this out ...
paintergirl

Presumably your deeds show the edges of your land. With that in hand they would not have a leg to stand on. I would consult Citizen's Advice.

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Wait until they have laid their drive then contact the planning office.

They will then have to spend money ripping it back up again.
(Post Link) post #5 of 57 Old 20-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156Chris View Post
I'm not so sure but they will be interested in the horrendous 6m x 7m single storey building in the back garden that wasn't on the planning permission for the full rear and full side extension they were granted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintergirl View Post
Presumably your deeds show the edges of your land. With that in hand they would not have a leg to stand on. I would consult Citizen's Advice.
Yes they do. No doubt. There was also their iron-work fence along the boundary that the builders must have known marked out the gardens. Lisa saw Terry the Chav talking to a Porsche driving guy last week and pointing at the area - presumably he was the boss of the firm laying the new, wider drive. They've dug out the entire front of their house so it would be at least a 10 car drive if they pave the lot.

To make it worse, we are away next week at Centre Parc for JimJrs 4th birthday.
happy man

I'd be baying for blood mate

I'd calling the Planning dept / Local council first thing in the morning if I were you mate.

(Post Link) post #7 of 57 Old 20-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy man View Post
I'd be baying for blood mate

I'd calling the Planning dept / Local council first thing in the morning if I were you mate.
I think I will be doing mate.

I've been threatening it since the white monstrosity went up in the garden over the last few months but pulled back.

This is just so arrogant and inconsiderate I'm flaming boilingly infuriated. My guts are twisting and I feel so sick with anger it is not at all pleasant. Nor is it my usual self....
AO Platinum Member

* passes Jim a baseball bat *

there you go fella
(Post Link) post #9 of 57 Old 20-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
* passes Jim a baseball bat *

there you go fella
Thanks Chris.

That can go with the other things that have gone through my mind from bricking their triple glazed, smoked windows, burning the digger outside, taking a lump hammer to their white steam room/hot tub room or whatever it will be, to spinning my Ti across the perfect lawn of the other house they bought 3 doors down.

But I'm a law-abiding wuss and I'll do nothing like all pathetic, middle-aged, middle-class dorks ever do when confronted by this sh...stuff.
AO Platinum Member

* makes a quick phone call to chrisd_b for you *

Sorted
AO Silver Member

County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

GTV 2.0 TS Lusso

Then just be law abiding, and contact the authorities straight away, dont wait for them to lay anything over your land otherwise it will cost you a fortune to get it off.

Oh and remember if you do make complaints against them stick a cheap cctv camera on your car as that would prolly be the first thing they target as they sound like muppets
(Post Link) post #12 of 57 Old 20-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
* makes a quick phone call to chrisd_b for you *

Sorted
Now there is an idea!

Actually I think this is a bit of a dodgy family now so God knows what would happen if they suspected anything.
Nev

Total ****rods!

Have 'em!!!!

Quote:
Trespass - Walls and Fences

If a wall or fence has been wrongly built on your land by your neighbour, this is a legal trespass. You can obtain a court injunction against your neighbour telling him to remove the wall/fence and you can sue him for damages. Although there is a right of self help and you could demolish the wall, be very careful. This right ceases when an injunction has been obtained from the court or refused by the court in the case of Burton -v- Winters (1993) a wall encroached on a garage but the court refused an injunction. It was held by the court that the right of self help died with the refusal of the injunction and the plaintiff was sent to prison for 2 years for demolishing the wall contrary to the Court Order.

If the Title Deeds state the height of any wall/fence and/or the materials to be used and it is built contrary to either specification, then you would be able to take legal action. Again this should only be done as a last resort.
(Garden Law - walls, fences and trespass)

AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV 2.0 TS Lusso

Also what side of the property are they on? If they are to the right as you look at your house then I think you control the fencing rights so prolly the best thing to do is to run a fence along the boundry, then they cant touch it.

*edit* scratch that it isnt true about the right hand side. I did just have a look through my deeds though and it states which boundries are mine (yay I own my neighbours gate, it will be painted something garish if they have one more bloody born again sing a long gatherings that go on til 2am)

Last edited by DeaDLocK; 20-11-08 at 20:29.
(Post Link) post #15 of 57 Old 20-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Thanks Nev.

The existing fence has been removed. They have removed mature bushes from my side of the fence and my lawn which is on the road side and it appears they are intending to widen their drive across my land. The drive currently goes around the far end of my garden up to their garage and hooks left on their property.

They have straightened this out by stealing the yard and a half or so of my garden (it is pitch black now and I was too angry to actaully measure it).

So they aren't building a fence but trespassing by probably going to pave over my land through to theirs.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

1997 GTV 2.0 TS

Quote:

No question, go for it.
AO Platinum Member

Also if I were you I wouldn't go to work tomorrow I'd stay at home and make sure it doesn't get any worse ....
(Post Link) post #18 of 57 Old 20-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Also if I were you I wouldn't go to work tomorrow I'd stay at home and make sure it doesn't get any worse ....
I can't do that Chris but I will wait until the builders show up.
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset

What an idiot. I feel for you mate.

If I were you I would photocopy the plan of your land, write an unemotional letter explaining that they are on your land, copy it to the neighbour and the builders explaining that you will persue it if everything isn't put back how it was within 48 hours.

That way you have shown that you are a reasonable person, and if they don't comply, unleash hell on them.
(Post Link) post #20 of 57 Old 20-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbo View Post
What an idiot. I feel for you mate.

If I were you I would photocopy the plan of your land, write an unemotional letter explaining that they are on your land, copy it to the neighbour and the builders explaining that you will persue it if everything isn't put back how it was within 48 hours.

That way you have shown that you are a reasonable person, and if they don't comply, unleash hell on them.
That's a very reasonable approach Corbo. I have already dug out a copy of the Land Registry plan to show the builders tomorrow.
AO Platinum Member

jim.... their address, £20 and a cup of tea & a biscuit please. their house will be smouldering ashes within 12 hours
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV 2.0 TS Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACAPULCO AL View Post
jim.... their address, £20 and a cup of tea & a biscuit please. their house will be smouldering ashes within 12 hours
Count yourself lucky its now and not a few weeks ago otherwise with the price of petrol that may have been £25

You have my deepest sympathy...try sticking some bananas up their tailpipes!!! I used to live next door to some rather unsavoury neighbours too...I had to move before I went insane...mine nicked a few feet off my garden to errect a fence..I had to leave it like that...got so fed up with their antic's I sold up and moved into the middle of nowhere...now my only neighbours are cows!! Good Luck...
AO Platinum Member

Jim ... any news? I hope you've got the wheels in motion to start getting this sorted ...
(Post Link) post #25 of 57 Old 21-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACAPULCO AL View Post
Sounds like a plan Al!

Well, I had a good old fume last night and a restless sleep. I waited in until the builders showed up at about 8.30 this morning and stormed out with plans in hand demanding to know which one was in charge.

Once he identified himself I met him at the end of the garden. Or rather where it used to be. I asked as politely as I could what did he think they were playing at? He apologised profusely and said he thought we'd think what we did but it was unavoidable.

The digger was pulling up the old lamp base that was set in a concrete lump the size of a penny-farthing front wheel (pointing out the offending item in one of the skips).

As it was being lifted the whole garden on both sides of the old fence line just kept coming up. They will re-turf the area in a few days and I'm not too fussed about the shrubs - they were a bit overgrown anyway.

He also told us he'd had a call from the neighbour about the mess on our garden earlier and an ear bashing so his daughter had been truthful last night to Lisa after all. They'd had to separate the wood from other waste but agreed it shouldn't have been left on our garden when they had all next door's garden dug over.

So. An over-reaction perhaps. An avoidable situation, certainly. A bit of communication by them would have avoided the bad feelings. Now we just have to assume they will keep to their word about rectification.

Thanks everyone for allowing me to let off steam.

Last edited by 73GTVJim; 21-11-08 at 20:54. Reason: grammatical error

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page