Religious hatred or police state? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 125 Old 16-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Religious hatred or police state?

Was talking to a mate the other day and he related this little tale which I could not believe:

This bloke is a total Goth and fan of all things dark side-ish; to the extent that he has a fish symbol with devil horns on it and the word SATAN where they normally say 'Jesus' stuck on his car.

To most people (including his devoutly Catholic boss) this is a harmeless dig at the God squad and their fish stickers, and an example of using one's right to free speech.
Satanism is itself a religion after all.

To the Hertfordshire Constabulary Thought Police however, this is "incitement to religious hatred" and an arrestable offence, for which he was pulled over and told to remove it or face the consequences.

Apart from being another shining example of 'have you lot honestly got nothing better to do?', what the Hell* happened to the right to free speech?

*no pun intended.

If you want to call me a cult leader that's fine.
But you will be laughing on the other side of your face when the spaceship arrives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: herts
Re: Religious hatred or police state?

Depends who you mix with I guess, no further comment.:
AO Silver Member

Member car:

1997 GTV 2.0 TS

Yes, I think this was heavy handed given the circumstances, and the fact that we haven't had a serious "terrorist threat" from Goths - yet!
However, I can see ZF's point, that it depends who you mix with. In these very changed times (what horrible grammar!), I suppose the "security" services, including the Police, are going to have a second look at anyone out of the norm.
In this case, I suspect the Police were bored, or perhaps they were recruited from the very bottom rung of the evolutionary ladder, either way, they were engaged in a pretty time wasting stop and question.
Nev

Don't you have to believe in god to believe in Satan?

Who said there was a right to free speech in the UK?

There isn't.

(Post Link) post #5 of 125 Old 16-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
Don't you have to believe in god to believe in Satan?
IMHO you can't have one without the other, but that's a whole big can of worms. People get theology doctorates out of it.

I'm off to get a Satan sticker for the Alfa.

(not that I'm a Satanist - I just want to see if I can get done as well)

In the mean time I will do my civic duty by keeping an eye on my mate in case there is a secret Goth conspiracy to overthrow the government
HSTDriver

You can be arrested for displaying anything in public which is deemed as potentially offensive to others.

It's been like it for years, witness mates of mine who had police come down on them pretty hard because they were wearing cradle of filth t-shirts with allegedly offensive slogans on the back, one summer many years ago.

Of course I might be offended by religious nut-jobs knocking on my door on sunday mornings and telling me how I could be saved - but i've never seen the police hassling them.

Rayq81

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
You can be arrested for displaying anything in public which is deemed as potentially offensive to others.
That depends what you define as offensive of course. The things that I as a British subject (Im not a citizen so im informed ) find offensive may be deemed acceptable elsewhere on this lovely Island. Thats Diversity.

Last edited by Rayq81; 16-11-08 at 17:56.

AO Silver Member

County: -

Satanism is a cult, not a religion.

Incitement to racial/religious hatred ? Can't really argue with that after all it's part of the dogma. As for free speech..

Ever since his Tonyness our freedoms have been steadily eroded I don't know why people are surprised.

However, should we permit fascists, terrorists or paedos to publicise themselves...I don't think so.

IMO It's where you draw the line that counts and it's a moveable feast.

But, just because Christians believe in turning the other cheek, doesn't give people the right to slap them around the face.

Personally I find Goths etc hilarious and are a walking advert against satanism. I mean if I wanted to be a satanist do I have to dress like at t..t ?

Regards

Der Teufel
Nate per vincere
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayq81 View Post
That depends what you define as offensive of course. The things that I as a British subject (Im not a citizen so im informed ) find offensive may be deemed acceptable elswhere on this lovely Island. Thats Diversity.
Apparently some people find it offensive to see a youth in a shirt which says 'Jesus is a ****' (4 letters, beginning with C)

Cant think why....

HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Teufel View Post

Ever since his Tonyness our freedoms have been steadily eroded I don't know why people are surprised.
You think this has only been going on since 1997?

Rayq81

Quote:
Apparently some people find it offensive to see a youth in a shirt which says 'Jesus is a ****' (4 letters, beginning with C)

Cant think why....
I would say the youth should learn some respect, I would find that offensive.

HSTDriver

Quote:
I would say the youth should learn some respect, I would find that offensive.
So you agree we should respect the religions of others?

AO Silver Member

County: -

Quote:
A trap well sprung..
HSTDriver

Quote:
A trap well sprung..
It wasn't intended like that.

Well, maybe it was, just a little

Rayq81

Quote:
Of course we should , in the same way I expect other Religions to respect me and mine, I dont wear a T Shirt expessing my views and I dont expect to have other views thrust in my face.

Rayq81

Quote:
A trap well sprung..
Why would expressing the views of respecting others be a trap ?

Nev

Quote:
Chris?

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

HSTDriver

Quote:
Of course we should , in the same way I expect other Religions to respect me and mine, I dont wear a T Shirt expessing my views and I dont expect to have other views thrust in my face.
You do though, Ray. you make a personal statement every time you step out the door, we all do.

And what is the differece between airing your views on a t-shirt or airing them on a forum like this one? Some of the things I've read on here are pretty disagreeable to me, but I try not go get offended by them, and I try to respect others right to air them as best I can.

What about those that knock on doors selling their religion? Or those that visit schools indoctrinating kids with copies of the bible and such?

Religion is a quagmire of hypocrisy, and I don't give a monkey's who is offended by that remark.

Rayq81

Quote:
Religion is a quagmire of hypocrisy, and I don't give a monkey's who is offended by that remark.
You look too deep , personal statements are fine, however setting out to insult for the sake of it is not acceptable.

Darren156

If I was religious I'd find it offensive I reckon and would probably remove it from his car myself if I'd seen it parked up. But yeah, I reckon the coppers did have a right to pull him for it so fair enough, it only took up a half hour of their day anyways,

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

If I was religious, I would say he can believe in what he likes.

People choose to be offended by things. I think they should get a life and worry about more important things.

If it said something directly derogatory to any particular religion then that may be incitement, but to me it sounds just like a parody of the fish symbol.

Last edited by symon; 16-11-08 at 21:24.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

1997 GTV 2.0 TS

Quote:
We should respect the religions of other people, and I say that as an agnostic, a former Roman Catholic, who questions religion regularly. There is absolutely no reason for intelligent people to go out of their way to insult another person, just so they can appear superior or "cool". If there was more respect in this World, then I think there would less war and arrogance.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 505
County: Victoria

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

The cops obviously had long memories. Those Goths did all sorts of damage in the 6th Century.
AO Gold Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

Shiny red 159Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart1 View Post
The cops obviously had long memories. Those Goths did all sorts of damage in the 6th Century.

I agree about the mutual respect - but it really does have to be mutual. Most Christians I meet are fine, but I've met a couple of them around here that really need those lessons. One of my neighbours, the first time I met him, asked me "are you religious?", when I said no (and didn't elaborate), he simply turned his back on me and walked away. Never spoken to me again. Prat

Last edited by mamalasagne; 17-11-08 at 09:22. Reason: Get it right, woman!
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalasagne View Post

I agree about the mutual respect - but it really does have to be mutual. Most Christians I meet are fine, but I've met a couple of them around here that really need those lessons. One of my neighbours, the first time I met him, asked me "are you religious?", when I said no (and didn't elaborate), he simply turned his back on me and walked away. Never spoken to me again. Prat
People like that, no matter what religion they are from are the ones that cause problems.
Religion is fine IMO, it is just when people who are religious fail to accept that others have different views then it annoys me.

I am not religious, but I don't have a problem with people being religious as long as they don't try and tell me what I should/shouldn't believe in.

It is a personal choice after all.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page